The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

DPA 4006 vs Schoeps MK2 - samples Condenser Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi Plush,

Yes, the Rens mods to the DPA 4006a seems very appealing indeed. I have been reluctant so far to try it myself, because I could not find any pre/after sound files... I would very much like to hear the difference it makes before having them modded. There is probably no way to go back to the oriiginal state, I guess...

Last edited by Lucas_G; 2 weeks ago at 01:17 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I wouldn't call the U89 sparkle-y, in fact just the opposite...but that is it's charm and strong-suit, and why I like it !
Yes, I too, really like the Neumann U-89. My favorite Neumann mic.

As far as my language in my former post, I am referring to the classic Neumann sound found in so many of their mics. Certainly the U-89 is the exception with its ruler flat, natural sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
Something beautiful happens with the 40mm APEs, I totally agree and also like to use them a lot. The 50mm APEs, however, just don't work well for me, even though it is not such a big difference in size. Did you choose the smaller ones after auditioning both?

Best,
Dirk
Some Beethoven (brass players were using historical instruments), recorded with the 50mm APEs (4006TL Decca Tree). Outriggers were the compact version (DPA 4052) without spheres.

The tree was flying above the orchestra, not in front!

Best regards, Dirk (another one )
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Hi Plush,

Yes, the Rens mods to the DPA 4006a seems very appealing indeed. I have been reluctant so far to try it myself, because I could not find any pre/after sound files... I would very much like to hear the difference it makes before having them modded. There is probably no way to go back to the oriiginal state, I guess...
Hello Lucas,

I give the Rens mod my highest recommendation. The mod gives you noticeable better bass which now has detail and more definition than the stock units. The real beauty part is that the treble is now very appealing after the mod. It is very extended and has a high "pleasant-ness quotient." Gone are spiky stabs of high end.

I have already qualified the mod for you.

The work Rens does makes the mic not just different but in ALL ways a better microphone.

Rens installs his own circuit board with his own electronics. If you don't like the mod, he could just re-install the original DPA (B&K) circuit board.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Rens installs his own circuit board with his own electronics. If you don't like the mod, he could just re-install the original DPA (B&K) circuit board.
Hello Plush
Is this a replacement 48v phantom board with standard XLR you are referring to, or a 60v separate power 4 pin board and connector.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello David,

My experience is with the 60 volt circuit board. I have not heard the Rens 48 volt mod.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hello Lucas,

I give the Rens mod my highest recommendation. The mod gives you noticeable better bass which now has detail and more definition than the stock units. The real beauty part is that the treble is now very appealing after the mod. It is very extended and has a high "pleasant-ness quotient." Gone are spiky stabs of high end.

I have already qualified the mod for you.

The work Rens does makes the mic not just different but in ALL ways a better microphone.

Thanks Plush,

I think I just must take the jump then!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Yes, I too, really like the Neumann U-89. My favorite Neumann mic.

As far as my language in my former post, I am referring to the classic Neumann sound found in so many of their mics. Certainly the U-89 is the exception with its ruler flat, natural sound.
i do not have experience with u89, but I could achieve a specially pleasant sound from violin with tlm170 that i would not have scored with my 4006 e.g.

in my last sessions, I combined the tlm170s with gefell m221. a very tasty combination.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamelesssounds View Post
i do not have experience with u89, but I could achieve a specially pleasant sound from violin with tlm170 that i would not have scored with my 4006 e.g.

in my last sessions, I combined the tlm170s with gefell m221. a very tasty combination.
U89 and TLM170 = pretty much joined at the hip, if you check these 3 comments:
All Aspects of Neumann Products - Splitting hairs between the U89,TLM 170 and TLM193
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search