The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Midas VeniceF-series
Old 8th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato Qu View Post
subbing to this thread 'cause i hate that the output signal to the DAW is pre-fader and i'd love to be able to adjust that.
I hate that the 2-buss to DAW is pre master inserts and I have to screw around with routing to get my 2-buss chain captured. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.
Old 8th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
I hate that the 2-buss to DAW is pre master inserts and I have to screw around with routing to get my 2-buss chain captured. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.
I think I've read somewhere in this thread that you can work around the 2buss insert issue by using the matrix to daw. It said that the stereo master in the matrix considers the masters inserts and thus sending the matrix out to the daw should get your master bus with inserts printed.

regards
Old 8th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
I think I've read somewhere in this thread that you can work around the 2buss insert issue by using the matrix to daw. It said that the stereo master in the matrix considers the masters inserts and thus sending the matrix out to the daw should get your master bus with inserts printed.

regards
Read the notes on the bottom of page 74 of the manual.

It shows alternate in's to the firewire buss.

This is also the page with the functional overview diagram.
Old 9th November 2014
Gear Head

So let me pre-face this post by saying I'm a hobbyist, not a musician. The Midas is my first desk. There may be a lot about what I'm about to write that is just plain wrong. There are hopefully obvious solutions i'm missing.

I'm making purely electronic music. Drum machines, an MPC for sampling and a fair sized modular, plus some compressors and stomp boxes. I sequence with hardware (Cirklon) and want to avoid laptops as much as possible. It's more for perhaps some quality ITB effects once I've done my stems and some finishing touches to the arrangement. The Midas sounds wicked. BUT...

I'm finding the firewire is wholly insufficient for my needs. The fact that I perform my mix (pan and fader levels) as individual stems is frustrating. It's like a big soundcard with cool EQ.

In essence it leaves me with the options: A) of only recording the master. B) recording stems running through the desk and automating pan and fade in my DAW.

Even when recording only the master, I'm finding there is a massive level drop.

School me please. Any suggestions on how I could get the best out of this situation? What good are the faders and pan pots for in my situation?

If I can't find anyway to improve it, I may take the hit and sell.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So let me pre-face this post by saying I'm a hobbyist, not a musician. The Midas is my first desk. There may be a lot about what I'm about to write that is just plain wrong. There are hopefully obvious solutions i'm missing.

I'm making purely electronic music. Drum machines, an MPC for sampling and a fair sized modular, plus some compressors and stomp boxes. I sequence with hardware (Cirklon) and want to avoid laptops as much as possible. It's more for perhaps some quality ITB effects once I've done my stems and some finishing touches to the arrangement. The Midas sounds wicked. BUT...

I'm finding the firewire is wholly insufficient for my needs. The fact that I perform my mix (pan and fader levels) as individual stems is frustrating. It's like a big soundcard with cool EQ.

In essence it leaves me with the options: A) of only recording the master. B) recording stems running through the desk and automating pan and fade in my DAW.

Even when recording only the master, I'm finding there is a massive level drop.

School me please. Any suggestions on how I could get the best out of this situation? What good are the faders and pan pots for in my situation?

If I can't find anyway to improve it, I may take the hit and sell.
How many tracks are you recording at a time and which board do you have?
Old 10th November 2014
Gear Head

hey, thanks for the reply. I'm usually recording around 10 stems. It's the F24.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey, thanks for the reply. I'm usually recording around 10 stems. It's the F24.
You are going to have to take your 10 stems out of the board thru the available post fader outs(St L Bus,St R Bus,Grp 1-4),using the stereo channels as well,as they can exit the aux post(1-4) and monitor post outs(2) both post fader.That is a total of 12.

Then you have to physically patch those outs to 10-12 input channels and record them.

Some extra work but not impossible.

Study the output section in the manual.
Old 10th November 2014
Gear Head

cool man, thanks for this.

i can't wrap my head around it now but i'll sit down in front of the desk tonight and work it.
Old 18th November 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by egoless View Post
I sent them an email, will post what they say about it... There is a Post Fade Link per channel on the block diagram in the manual though ...
Did you ever get a reply regarding this?

At the moment, the lovely Midas mixer is not doing anything for me.
I really "need" it to be able to accept my fader settings as recording levels to my DAW.

Thanks,
Andreas
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverberation View Post
Did you ever get a reply regarding this?

At the moment, the lovely Midas mixer is not doing anything for me.
I really "need" it to be able to accept my fader settings as recording levels to my DAW.

Thanks,
Andreas
Sorry forgot to write the answer... Yes it is possible, you'll have to open the board and set the jumpers, or better take it to authorized service to do that for you...
Old 30th November 2014
I think old venice was routed post-fader and there were similar complaints. I hope there is a jumper to change it.
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by egoless View Post
Sorry forgot to write the answer... Yes it is possible, you'll have to open the board and set the jumpers, or better take it to authorized service to do that for you...
Oh, cool! Did you do this? Do you know where the jumpers are located?
I assume there's one jumper per channel then?

If I could solve this, I would be a MUCH happy dude.

I already opened my Midas once. The first thing I did after purchasing the console was to replace the fan with a much more silent one.
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I already opened my Midas once. The first thing I did after purchasing the console was to replace the fan with a much more silent one.
Hi,

(Venice F32 owner myself.)

Could you tell me the exact name of that fan you replaced it with?
And more importantly any warnings or some tips on how to do it best?
Does it involve soldering or is it just plugging one out and the other one in?

Actually: is it really easy and everyone can do this :0) ?

Many thanks in advance!!
regards,
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hi,

( owner myself.)

Could you tell me the exact name of that fan you replaced it with?
And more importantly any warnings or some tips on how to do it best?
Does it involve soldering or is it just plugging one out and the other one in?

Actually: is it really easy and everyone can do this :0) ?

Many thanks in advance!!
regards,
Will try to find the receipt or the box and see which model I bought.
Since it's inside the console, I can't see the name of the fan right now.
No soldering required!
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac
Found this for the non firewire version. Read somewhere that it's the same procedure for the F-version too.
What do you think?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...ns-revised.pdf
Old 30th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltones View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but there is probably a workaround for this. On my F32, tracks 31-32 are my FW monitoring tracks, and I don't connect anything to those tracks. Also, my HS80 are connected to the Local Monitors outputs. That's relevant for what comes next.

During mixdown, you probably could have your favorite compressor inserted on the main bus, then use and connect the Master Left and Right outputs to tracks 31-32 inputs on the back of the console and send tracks 31-32 via Firewire back to your DAW.

Edit: Just tried it. It's a no-go as it makes a feedback loop. Oh well, it was worth a shot. It may still work if you have a spare dual channels of converters lying around. You'd just send the Master Left and Right outputs to the spare converters and send the outputs of the spare converters back to your DAW. Or another option yet, if you have a Zoom H4N type of portable recorder: Send the Master Left and Right ouputs to the Zoom. Then you could import the stereo track back to your DAW for further processing if you want. But the contortions needed to be able to record the "inserted" master bus is starting to get ridiculous at this point.

Oh, and SDB-12, the reason why the inserts on the master section are pre-FW is simply a cost cutting decision from Midas. I asked them and that was the answer.
Did you switch off the "to master" switch of the line in, which you use for master capture? This must prevent you from feedback. Or if you use this stereo channel for DAW monitoring with firewire button switched on, it will send the daw signal to master but not the analog input from master. But you have to check the daw software if the direct monitor is on. It must be off.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Will try to find the receipt or the box and see which model I bought.
Since it's inside the console, I can't see the name of the fan right now.
No soldering required!
Hi,

that's very kind of you! Looking forward to hearing from you!
Which cover did you remove: just the one on the bottom and then there is easy access to the fan?

Many thanks and regards,
Old 1st December 2014
Quote:
Hi,

that's very kind of you! Looking forward to hearing from you!
Which cover did you remove: just the one on the bottom and then there is easy access to the fan?

Many thanks and regards,
Is it possible to do it fanless like PC PSUs? I am a little bit disappointed, because my studio PC is fanless and I used to hear the silence
Also when you listen at high levels, the side panels ring very loud.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Can anyone comment on the old Venice vs the new Venice F in terms of sound quality? The Venice F certainly wins in terms of features.

Does the new Venice sound similar to the old when pushed hard? Does the Venice F have space on the PCB for input transformers like the original Venice did?
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Oh, cool! Did you do this? Do you know where the jumpers are located?
I assume there's one jumper per channel then?

If I could solve this, I would be a MUCH happy dude.

No but I'm gonna take it to the authorised service sometimes to do it... Could use a quieter fan also
Old 4th December 2014
Someone who checked the converters inside?
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know if it is possible to mod the the console so that you can feed channel/buss outs post fader via the firewire? I don't need pre or post eq, I only need post fader.

EDIT:
I got in touch with Midas. You need to mod the PCB, and only Midas approved service center can do this without loosing the warranty. So, yes it is possible. But only the channels, not the busses.
Old 26th January 2015
Here for the gear
Modding / Customize My F24 A/D Section

I have an inquiry on how I could bypass the internal A/D converter?

I had to get my firewire a/d converter fixed earlier this year and knowing that it's not a very good setup for me knowing I will not have updates down the road for this Console; is making me want to look ahead for upgrading/updating it myself. (to Orion 32 or a couple Lynx 16's ... Don't get me wrong, the internal converters are good, but there is audible differences when I go to other a/d converters.)

Thought I had:
I know they're is 3 main 34 flat cable ribbon leads to the A/D converter board... And was wondering if those were the main channel strip 'firewire constant Send / intermittent Receive lines...?
If so, maybe I could figure something out changing those 3 flat cables into 3 D-Sub 25 cable runs... To connect into a converter of my choice.
With this ability and direction I wouldn't have to interfere with the current LINE IN and INSERT points I have filled, and could continue with my current workflow.

---->The easiest thing I can think of, is just taking my channel strips information and not utilizing the switching between trading of the last stereo channels with the master, aux, matrix, mon, or groups...

If I at least had everything I'm asking, I could at least have 24 great send receive channels etc...

Hope this all makes sense! I really love this console. I do a lot of drum work for people around the world and it makes it so EASY with setting Eq's/Comps before I print it forever with the F24's constant Firewire send and adjustable return by activating the 'firewire return' switch.

(I know I have other options for using an external a/d...LINE IN and having to constantly adjust my gain stage to '0' (like toft or others) or the hassle of bypassing the gain stage utilizing the INSERT connections with a patch bay...)

---- I'm sure you're wondering "why not just use the Direct Outs..." I'm cool with that, it's the returning signal to adjust compression settings/EQ settings to the song at hand, before I go back to the kit and track a printed version of my settings...

If any of ya'll could at least point me in a direction of someone who could do a 'custom' job or if you could provide some schematic for this section the board, I'd be so grateful, as would my clients!

As I said before, I love this console and the routing works great for me. I've been looking at other consoles, but just can't find one that would work as well as this does for me!

Appreciate it!
Old 26th January 2015
Here for the gear
Old 26th January 2015
Hey,

Could you tell us what converter chips are used?
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Maniac
Finally, the Venice F24 works the way I wanted it to do.
The signal to my computer now comes post fader. I can arrange my music with the mixer while recording now.

A friend helped me and it took some time. Gotta have great eye sight and a steady hand to manage this mod.
So far we've only modified the mono channels, but the stereo ones will be "corrected" later this spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Midas VeniceF-series-01imgext.jpg   Midas VeniceF-series-02imgext.jpg   Midas VeniceF-series-03imgext.jpg  
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally, the Venice F24 works the way I wanted it to do.
The signal to my computer now comes post fader. I can arrange my music with the mixer while recording now.

A friend helped me and it took some time. Gotta have great eye sight and a steady hand to manage this mod.
So far we've only modified the mono channels, but the stereo ones will be "corrected" later this spring.
So with the board modified this way,you could send out multiple channels from a daw,eq and do fader moves and record right back in to the daw?
Old 10th March 2015
tuf
Gear Head

Multiple Mixers?

Does anyone use more than one Venice on the same computer? I'm wondering if the driver presents multiple mixers as one device, or do they show up separately requiring the use of an aggregate device?

I've currently got an F32 and a Behringer X32 I use in aggregate, and there's a litany of problems that go along with that so I'm hoping the Midas driver allows them to properly clock to each other through firewire. I've read it'll handle up to 4 mixers at once, but without another here I can't test it.

If anyone has any ACTUAL experience connecting more than one Venice F mixer to the same computer, please let me know!
Old 23rd March 2015
tuf
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuf View Post
Does anyone use more than one Venice on the same computer? I'm wondering if the driver presents multiple mixers as one device, or do they show up separately requiring the use of an aggregate device?

I've currently got an F32 and a Behringer X32 I use in aggregate, and there's a litany of problems that go along with that so I'm hoping the Midas driver allows them to properly clock to each other through firewire. I've read it'll handle up to 4 mixers at once, but without another here I can't test it.

If anyone has any ACTUAL experience connecting more than one Venice F mixer to the same computer, please let me know!
I've got 2 F32s in the room to test. I'll be sure to report my findings.

BTW, this new F32 I've picked up has totally different endbells (whatever you call them). The originals were made of the same material the wrist rest bar across the front is made from, some sort of soft rubberized plastic. The new ones are hard plastic and darker. Kinda lame for putting two of them side by side..

Last edited by tuf; 23rd March 2015 at 05:25 AM..
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuf View Post
I've got 2 F32s in the room to test. I'll be sure to report my findings.

BTW, this new F32 I've picked up has totally different endbells (whatever you call them). The originals were made of the same material the wrist rest bar across the front is made from, some sort of soft rubberized plastic. The new ones are hard plastic and darker. Kinda lame for putting two of them side by side..
Hi,

Any news using the two desks?

I actually think it's worth buying another desk even if it was to become a spare!

Great value desk

Stu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search