The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

MBHO microphones Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Head

Yes but I'm not going to use them as ambiance mics, but as a main stereo pair; and you know that, when using the jecklin disc, the mics shouldn't be in the diffuse field, but rather located on the crossing point between direct and diffuse field. And if I find they lack clarity, I still have the very bright 410s to help.
Old 6th December 2012
Gear interested

deceived

I have tested a matched pair of mbp 604 with K100 and k 200 capsule, and
compared them with km 184.
I really don't like them, there was a difference of 3 db with the cardiod capsules, and nearly none with the de omni's.
They lake of bass I think, I have tested a not match pair of shoeps cmc6 one day before that, and I don't think it's comparable
The sensitivity of the mic is really bad compared to the km 184.
I don't think it's a good choice for recording, maybe for live when you are close to the source.....
Old 7th December 2012
Gear Maniac

I think there is something wrong with your mics.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerutabaga View Post
I have tested a matched pair of mbp 604 with K100 and k 200 capsule, and
compared them with km 184.
I really don't like them, there was a difference of 3 db with the cardiod capsules, and nearly none with the de omni's.
They lake of bass I think, I have tested a not match pair of shoeps cmc6 one day before that, and I don't think it's comparable
The sensitivity of the mic is really bad compared to the km 184.
I don't think it's a good choice for recording, maybe for live when you are close to the source.....
Old 7th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celloman View Post
I think there is something wrong with your mics.

Mike
Indeed. Can vincerutabaga provide samples?

All the best,
ave.
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente View Post
I'm considering buying either a pair of Fig8, or omni MBHO mics, but would like to ask if anyone has experience with the transformer and transformerless versions of the amplifier body.

I really would like to know how folks have found both versions in practice - I hope this thread is not too old for a response.

I'm recording in New York in March, and would hope to order and pick up a pair in Brooklyn.
It's an older thread, bur maybe still of interest. I still have qute a few MBHO mics withs sd and ld capsulas. They are very good mics for sure. Certainly they have their own character that can be liked or not liked. I don't care too much for the figure 8 capsulas, I found them in combination with 603 a bit flat, but I love the omnis and the cardioids. Also the ldc are great.

I like them more in applications as room mics and care less about using them for close miking.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear interested

Interview with MBHO Founder Herbert Haun

MBHO's founder Herbert Haun took some questions from Dan Ross of Dale Pro Audio on the occasion of their 20 year anniversary. You can reach the interview here:

Interview with MBHO Founder Herbert Haun
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear interested

Kick!

I am a user, for several years of 4 MBP 603 and I do like those mikes a lot.
Often I do use them as overhead on a choir or for drums. The sound is very defined
and for me nice fresh. Most of the times I don't need much to EQ the mikes.

For open air MBHO has her own wndcap for the mike and even with those caps there
still is a pleasant sound to listen at.

grtz

Nes
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Hi folks,

I've been collecting some info and some of it might be useful to those puzzled at the sometimes contradictory and often inaccurate info:

The current head amps are the 603 and 604. The 604 is an SMT version of the 603, otherwise identical. I couldn't detect any meaningful differences in performance between the two. The model number is either MBP 60X or MBC 60X. MBP indicates a relatively older issue of the mic, while "MBC" is the current prefix.

Likewise, some accessories with "NB" and "MB" prefix are the same.

The capsules have been upgraded too over the years. The current sensitivity of the KA range of SD capsule is higher than previous issues. It's wise to send the Serial N° of a given capsule to MBHO if you're not sure how old it is.

Matching can be an issue. Always request matched pairs. Buying single capsules or complete mics hoping they will match others is a bit of a gamble.

I haven't met any quality issues yet. The only issue being discussed is a potential RFI problem when used in RFI rich environment, and possibly no direct connection to ground (ie. Pin 1 going to a pre or console powered by a power supply with no direct ground connection). I'm following this up but since the issue seems to take place only in adverse conditions, it's not a major problem yet. As soon as I get news I'll post again here.

Build quality is certainly quite good.

To answer another regular question, Audix and MBHO capsules are not the same. Audix SDC capsules have typically lower sensitivity but I don't have solid info on the response of the capsules vs. MBHO KA series.

Finally, the MBHO website is totally outdated and will not be updated soon. Please consult with your dealer for accurate, up to date specifications, availability and such. It should be noted that some of the products on the MBHO website, like the 648 head amp, have been discontinued...

Hope this helps a bit!
Old 24th February 2015
Gear interested

I wonder if the 604 pre is the same pre used for the Audix SCX? MBHO makes the caps for the Audix, so it makes sense that they also make the pres. The size seems eerily similar. Any body have both?
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

I doubt it, but you should ask MBHO, they're ususally good about giving tech info. They're just not very good at keeping their website up to date
Old 27th February 2015
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
I doubt it, but you should ask MBHO, they're ususally good about giving tech info. They're just not very good at keeping their website up to date
And only one person in the company speaks English.

Very nice people, though, I visited them a couple of years back.
Old 27th February 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, as far as I know Marcus is the only one who can speak English there.
Old 28th February 2015
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Yes, as far as I know Marcus is the only one who can speak English there.
That makes two then - as the only one I thought spoke English was Kirsten Haun (Herbert Haun's daughter).

She did all the translation while I was there - as although my wife speaks half a dozen European languages, she does not speak German.

Last edited by John Willett; 28th February 2015 at 05:43 PM..
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

Really? Good info, thanks!!!
Old 19th March 2015
Lives for gear

Oy, user samples are just trickling through, here's a fresh video, audio recorded with a single MBHO 603+ KA200 combo held with the MBHO shockmount.

"Salt water eddys" by Matthew O'Tuama

No processing apart form a touch of artificial reverb. Enjoy.
Old 4th April 2017
Any thoughts on the MBP 603a design? I might be recording an opera production (Telemann) soon and need microphones that are close to invisible.
Would they be a better choice (with either cardioid, wide cardioid or flat omni capsules) than e.g. DPA 4061 or 61s?
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Can't say it's audibly different from the 603. The capsules are the usual KA modular Series. Not sure if anyone did an A/B with the DPA's? Would be interested to hear comments on this too.
Old 4th April 2017
LvE
Here for the gear

I have a 604 with a fig 8 capsule for sale if anybody is interested please PM. (Located in the Netherlands)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search