The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
please help me spend $800 on mics
Old 9th August 2002
Here for the gear

please help me spend $800 on mics

please help me acheive mid-fi excellence with $800 in purchasing a mic or mics. here's what i'm perhaps looking at to purchase:

rode ntv, neumann tlm-103, two oktava mc012's plus some 57's, i also have an opportunity to purchase two matched earthworks tc40k-mp mics for $500. any combination of the above mics or perhaps some others i may be missing. suggestions would be appreciated.

mics i have: two 57's, 58, tlm103, two neumann km184's, akg d112, 3 not so great akg tom mics. (forget the model number)

preamps i have: soundcraft ghost, mackie xdr's, grace 201, grace 101, peavey vmp-2. currently building a class a true tube dual channel mic preamp. (jensens baby!)

looking at another tlm-103 for perhaps cymbal overheads. (use the km184's now) thinking of two mc012's for a darker small diaphgram stereo micing situation. the rode for a darker large diaphgragm. the earthworks again for a second set of small diaphragm stereo mics plus they'd make decent measurement mics.
Old 9th August 2002
Lives for gear

$800 worth of mics.........

If I had your mic collection, the first thing I would buy would be a pair of MD421's. They get my vote as the most versatile mic under $1K. A used pair will run you around $500, leaving just enough for a single used RE20, or SM7 or MD441 or???

You've already got 3 of the best inexpensive condensers (TLM103,KM184), so I would look for really nice dynamics rather than even cheaper condernsers.

Or forget everything I just said and stretch the $800 to cover a pair of BLUE Baby Bottles; that would be very cool.
Old 9th August 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

spandau, on the Oktava's your best bet would be to get them from www.oktava.com (AKA The Sound Room) because they're
more rigorously tested then Guitar Center. Especially if you
want a matched pair. (good luck otherwise!)
I have a Oktava MK-012 that I "selected" from a group at GC.

You may also want to check out Studio Project's answer to the
NTK, in their "B" series, I think the model name is TB-1, for quite
a bit less money. Their "C" and "B" microphone lines have scored
well based on end user responses-I've used the C1 personally
BTW. It sounded excellent on my vocals FWIW.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 9th August 2002
Gear Maniac

Try a ribbon microphone - you might like it a lot!

/Mats
Old 9th August 2002
Gear Maniac

I bought my Oktavas at
http://www.recordingservices.net/res...p?CategoryID=2
Great price, and great service - I really can't tell you how to spend your money though...
Old 9th August 2002
Gear Addict

If you need another large condensor, the NTV is pretty close to your Neumann TLM-103. The BLUE Baby Bottle is a different flavor that will work on different vocalists.

Dynamics are good. Sennheiser MD-421, Beyer M-88, EV RE-20, and Shure SM-7 are all good, versatile performers, and if you can find them in good shape, tend to be bargains used. The EV RE-15 and Beyer M-201 are also good mics to have around for instruments, and can be steals used.

Beyer ribbons are probably the best choice for ribbons in your budget range. The M-260 is great, and if you can get one with a blown ribbon for cheap, Stephen Sank's DX mod will make it pretty close in sound to an RCA 77DX for very little money.

Omni's are good to have, but not many folks have them. If you can deal with the self noise, the Behringer ECM-8000's are very nice at $35 each, but damn, they're noisy. Better measurement mics like the Audix TR-40 do a lot better on the noise front and provide quite a different flavor from your KM-184's.

Happy hunting

Bear
Old 9th August 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Steve, I had to go through a number of Oktava's at Guitar Center
to find two that sounded quite good. The implication must be yours matched up well. Just wondering if you were lucky or they
also screen them?

Scored a cardiod capsule/mic body for $60 at GC so the effort was
worth it.

Chris
Old 10th August 2002
Lives for gear

I wouldn't recommend a ribbon mic unless you already have a mic pre with the balls to handle it. (which I don't really think you have). I'd recommend you cover the meat & potatoes first: Get a couple more 57's, some MD421's (or 441's which is a little more hi-fi, and much lesser used), and I'd suggest 2 ECM8000 ref mics (for $35 a pop, you don't have much to lose). The B2 is a GREAT drum room mic/vocal mic on a limited budget (the B1 is around $100 NEW, but I'd spring for the $200 B2 if at all possible)
Old 10th August 2002
Don
Gear Maniac

I think that you would be able to drive a ribbon with the Graces 101/ 201...I do with a 101{ML19 no longer made.. seen them on Ebay for about $500.00 a pair} and I have the 60 db version..Works and sounds pretty good to me..I agree the B2 is a pretty good cheap{$100.00 used}mic ..Its supposed to be pretty much the same mic as the Rode NT2 I think.You can never go wrong with the 421's and the 441's..Also look into the AT's 4040,4033 ect. for less cash...Good luck
Old 11th August 2002
One with big hooves

I'd get a pair of 421's because you can use them on just about everything at some point. Even if they don't sound amazing they'll always be usable. Plus, if your recording drums and the D112 isn't working on kick you can try the 421 and put the other one on floor tom. After that either a Blue Baby Bottle or another TLM103. If you want/need a pair of LDC's get the 103. Otherwise the Baby Bottle is a nice compliment and works well on lots of things.
Old 30th August 2002
Gear Maniac

Im agree, another 103 so that you have a matched pair of large and small diaphram condensers, then a pair of 421's then a pair of ribbons...as you get money.
Old 30th August 2002
Here for the gear

thanks dudes. i just purchased my mics yesterday. found a used tlm-103 for $600. i couldn't resist. i'm really happy with that mic. now i got a pair. great for room mics. with the money i saved with that purchase i tagged on an extra hundred to my budget and got a new 421. i'll probably get another 421 once i get some more cash, but wait that new summit pre might be cool, or maybe another grace 101. anyone see any sytek pre's around? i could use another motu breakoutbox though . . or i was going to get around to ordering and soldering up a bunch of mogami cables. . . .oh blessed jesus help me for i am a sinner. do you guys offer a 12-step program to help me with my problem?
Old 30th August 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by spandau fondue
do you guys offer a 12-step program to help me with my problem?
It's called marriage /children...if nothing curbs your slavery to gear, that will.....
Old 3rd September 2002
Here for the gear

I get G.A.S. attacks on a daily basis.

It's best not to fight them
Old 4th September 2002
One with big hooves

Now THAT's funny.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search