The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

DPA 5100 - The Bicycle Seat Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

Yes pleaaassse
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Head

I'm quite curious as well, as I have still not heard many 5100 music recordings at this point.

The 5100's front L/C/R coincident microphones using miniature interference tubes are likely to be what have been released now as the 4098H (or perhaps 4060 fitted with the 4098 interference tube grid). I have a pair of 4098H and they've worked well as decent quality directional miniature microphones (much better than any other miniature directional I've tried). Their low end frequency response is more or less freefield balanced though and drops at any significant distance, so arrays which use them in combination with omnis helps fill out the bottom end for location recording.

Please let me know if you have 5100 samples available, ebsh. Thank you!
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

I've only used it for sports broadcast. Sounds great but I'm very curious how it works for music.
Old 11th June 2014
He just asked if anyone was "interested" in sound clips. I guess he didn't plan on sharing them.
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

I was using it for sports broadcast this week, I was monitoring the stereo downmix on (HD600) headphones and I kept taking of my headphones to check where that stadium sound was coming from
It was just the sound of my headphone mix but it was so realistic that even after a few times I still took of my headphones because it sounded like the sound was coming from the outside
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

I've got one on loan at the moment and I can indeed attest that on headphones, the sound is extremely realistic. I'm finding it less so on a full 5.1 speaker set-up, but still eminently usable for effects work; it's rather like the way a good binaural recording translates from headphones to speakers. It'll have to go back to the distributors before I can do a music check with it, but I'll see if they'll let me have it back if I can set up a session in our local church.

Regards,
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

For sports broadcast I had to delay the rears by 30ms (as per dpa's advice in the manual) to make the 5.1 a bit more "impressive"
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks - the mic came in a tatty cardboard box with no manual and I haven't had time to experiment much yet. I'll give it a go.

John
Old 19th October 2014
Can you tell something about the noise floor? 5 small omnis should be a bit noisy?! Can you use this mic for recording roomtones?

Thanks a lot!
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf B. View Post
Can you tell something about the noise floor? 5 small omnis should be a bit noisy?! Can you use this mic for recording roomtones?

Thanks a lot!
Not really. It is too noisy for that application. Not because it has 5 omnis but because tiny mics usually are noisier than larger diaphragm mics in general.
Old 25th October 2014
Ok, I supposed that. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search