The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

I dont actually do any recording, i just buy gear... Condenser Microphones
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

Last year was the year of investments, I finally got to spend all the money from my first year in business. I study and work part-time so this isn't my main business yet, and so I could go all-in so far.

2x DPA 4006-TL with all acoustic accessories
2x Thuresson CM402
1x Metric Halo ULN-8
Nice 30m/20m/15m quad cables, a pair of Genelec 8020s, an edirol r-44 and some other stuff.

This year I'm looking for good cardioids for spot mics. Either DPA 4011 or Senn 8040 maybe...
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Last year was the year of investments, I finally got to spend all the money from my first year in business. I study and work part-time so this isn't my main business yet, and so I could go all-in so far.

2x DPA 4006-TL with all acoustic accessories
2x Thuresson CM402
1x Metric Halo ULN-8
Nice 30m/20m/15m quad cables, a pair of Genelec 8020s, an edirol r-44 and some other stuff.

This year I'm looking for good cardioids for spot mics. Either DPA 4011 or Senn 8040 maybe...
You spent some serious money. How do you like the Thuresson? What can you tell us about it?
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

If I was a manufacturer, I would be using GS for extensive marketing purposes. One of the best weapons for the marketer seems to be to engender significant feelings of inadequacy in the potential customer when comparing what they have with what they could have.

Gearslutz is a fantastic playground of tub thumping and putdowns about gear and what one should be using. I think this maybe one of the reasons for dissatisfaction and constant pining about equipment.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
If I was a manufacturer, I would be using GS for extensive marketing purposes. One of the best weapons for the marketer seems to be to engender significant feelings of inadequacy in the potential customer when comparing what they have with what they could have.

Gearslutz is a fantastic playground of tub thumping and putdowns about gear and what one should be using. I think this maybe one of the reasons for dissatisfaction and constant pining about equipment.
Well, disregarding the title of this thread (I dont actually do any recording, i just buy gear...) you might have a point. But the whole website is called GearSlutz, which is kind of a tip off. And then there are those who are invading threads to talk about another type or brand which they feel is superior. That is annoying.

Anyway, I really would like some info from a user about the Thuresson. It is mythic and I wonder if it is truly good or just some more audio BS floating around or, more likely, something in between. A search here is not too helpful. To quote Ross Perot, "I'm all ears."
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
You spent some serious money. How do you like the Thuresson? What can you tell us about it?
Yes, well, I'm blessed with working at the side with this. It feels nice to have a thoroughly OK setup.
Regarding the Thuresson, it might be better off in a separate thread (or one of the ones existing maybe). I think it's a nice mic, spectacular for ambience and useful for main pair when it comes to chamber music. Bit on the cold side of things perhaps.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Bit on the cold side of things perhaps.
Not so much different from your DPA 4006s ?
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Not so much different from your DPA 4006s ?
Oh, I would say that they are. I don't think of the DPA:s as so bright actually, but I can see what people mean. In that line of thought they are both slightly on the bright side, yeah. But they are different beasts.

It seems to me that when comparing them side by side (with free-field grid on the DPAs) the 402s are less prone to lose treble at distance than the DPAs. That may make no sense at all, but sometimes I've used the black grill and angled the DPAs away from the source. This brings back treble that's lost at a distance when compared to the 402s.

I actually haven't compared them side by side so much as main pair lately (I tend to use 4006 as main pair for organ and CM402 as ambience, or CM402 as main pair for chamber and 4006 as ambience). Should try it out sometime and let you know the results.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Last year: Pair of Sennheiser MKH 435.
This year: second-hand Mackie MDR (finally got my own backup recorder and don't need to rely on my colleagues' machines)
Soon: another middle-class 8ch pre. Probably Octopre II because of its dual ADAT outputs. thumbsup
Later: more mics.
Always: HDDs!!!!!
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

We just bought 4 (four !) Sennheiser MKH800 twin Nx microphones.
They are cute, they are small, they are matt black, hey have a blue LED and a red LED.

I really like them
Unfortunately they fill up our Grace M802 completely , so we'll have to address this problem one day ...
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
If I was a manufacturer, I would be using GS for extensive marketing purposes.
You may have some wool over your eyes. There's a huge amount of gorilla marketing going on here, and by the largest two or three manufacturers in the states and in Europe. It's quid pro quo. (Maybe more, I only know of the 2 or 3. And that depends on whether one corporation is counted as 1 or 2 manufacturers. And no, I don't refer to Mr. W, though he has conflicts of interest, to say the least. Nor do I don't mean any of the several or more helpful people who write on this forum and who are dealers.)
Old 5th May 2010
Here for the gear

I know the feeling! Just bought 4 more Schoeps and another AKG C414 EB! Spend spend spend! Am on the prowl for some U87's too but good ones don't seem to come up very often

Chris
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Pair ksm 141s, 2 channels of SCA N72, PSP SQuad plugins, Superlux stereo bar, 8x4 100 foot snake, waiting for a pair of Dale Ulan M7 capsules....

I need to stop hanging out here.
Old 14th May 2010
Here for the gear

I just boght a Korg mr2000s, and i am extremely pleased, that was 2 weeks ago.
Before that a pair of Sennheiser mkh40, 2 month ago.
Although i am really completly amateur, this combo, with a millenia media pre-amp, makes me want to record none stop.
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

This year I have bought NS10's+amp, Fender AVRI '52 Tele, Laney pre-Supergroup amp, Adam A7 (sold them already and I will probably get the A5X), Vox Tonelab SE, Memory Man DLX delay, ... will pick the Steinberg MR816 for my location rig tomorrow or next week and I also traded my Beyer M500 mic to MD441..
Old 17th June 2010
Gear Maniac
This year?

Sony EX1R (Video)
Tascam DR-680
Adobe CS4 Suite
Drives Drives and more Drives
Old 18th June 2010
Gear Addict

I am building a small kit for the occasional church and school project that pops up (so I don't have to borrow gear from work).

So far this year (all pre-owned):

AT4050
Avantone CK-1 (bang for the buck, especially used)
Cascade Fathead pair with Cinemag option.

Hopefully by years end I'll add a second AT4050 and preamps.
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

So far, it's been:

AKG C422 (mint)
Superlux stereo bar (MA-90)
ProAc studio 100's
Hypex amp kit (180 HG X2, PS & case)
Overstayer compressor
2 X Shure SE30 pre/comp's

another coupla items waiting in the wings for this summer:

LatchLake MicKing 2200
isolation transformer
pr of CL TS-2's

I think that should do it for this year - and my CC!!!
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

I bought a C422 last year, and I've found it excellent as a stereo spot mic for orchestra and as a stereo drum OH. I'd be interested to know what you use/like it for. I haven't been able to try mine out much past those things.
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
I bought a C422 last year, and I've found it excellent as a stereo spot mic for orchestra and as a stereo drum OH. I'd be interested to know what you use/like it for. I haven't been able to try mine out much past those things.
Same - good spot for a lot of sources where you don't want hype. I still prefer my SM69 for kit, but the C422 can do OK. It sounds good on piano: I was told it was Billy Joel's preferred mic for that duty. I still most often prefer the AEA R88 for that...

I'd like to say I've used mine extensively, but I can't say that either - hopefully as the summer winds in and some more ensemble/jazz work comes around I'll put it thru the paces a bit more...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search