The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Perhaps, the world's smallest full-featured 12-track rig. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Talking Perhaps, the world's smallest full-featured 12-track rig.

Eight inputs of great preamps, 12-track recorder, EQ, 100mm faders, multiple media recording, perfect clocking and time-code. Does it get any better than this?

D.
Attached Thumbnails
Perhaps, the world's smallest full-featured 12-track rig.-img_1546.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Nut

A thing of beauty.
Old 23rd March 2010
Here for the gear

Now you're making me jealous. Oah and don't forget that it will all run off batteries.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

what is that mixer/fader apparatus?
Old 23rd March 2010
Old 23rd March 2010
Here for the gear

Very nice, but whats with the wierd samplerates 32, 44.1, 47.952, 48, 48.048, 88.2, 96, 96.096? I can´t really see how it would matter, especially at 96kHz. Anyone know the reason for this?
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_acoustics View Post
Very nice, but whats with the wierd samplerates 32, 44.1, 47.952, 48, 48.048, 88.2, 96, 96.096? I can´t really see how it would matter, especially at 96kHz. Anyone know the reason for this?
Those funny ones are for the USA and for their weird NTSC TV system. heh
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

A laptop and Prism Orpheus would give it a drubbing.
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
The Orpheus only has four pre's.
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_acoustics View Post
That's for pull up and pull down of timecode, to keep things in sync. remember that Sound Devices stuff is used primarily for film and TV.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you needed 24 tracks, the HD24 would give it a drubbing. They are all good tools, right?

D.
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Or the SADiE LRX-2. heh
Attached Thumbnails
Perhaps, the world's smallest full-featured 12-track rig.-lrx2_lt_med.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Can the 788T be used as a FW audio interface?

-Dan.
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Guru

Very cool! I like it.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post
Can the 788T be used as a FW audio interface?

-Dan.
Not for a computer, but you can record to FW drive or DVD-R data, just move the drive to the computer after recording.

Lou
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Not for a computer, but you can record to FW drive or DVD-R data, just move the drive to the computer after recording.
Best way to do it, really.

I am very wary of using a computer to record - just use the PC for editing.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

I used a laptop and Protools to record a lot for a few years, until the Sound Devices and the Alesis HD24 changed my way of working very much for the better. I have 744T, four track SD. I do live sound and recording mostly.

<L>
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Best way to do it, really.

I am very wary of using a computer to record - just use the PC for editing.
I'm wary of using the computer as well. But a computer needs an interface, and I thought it'd be nice if the 788T could do double duty. Not that I'll have the budget for one in the forseeable future.

-Dan.
Old 23rd March 2010
urumita

what? no 44.056. F1 anyone
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

ooo, ill play
a StageTec truematch + micro pc/lappy + Sequoia== Alpha and Omega

Standalone Converter

• no microphone-signal clipping possible at the inputs; processes a dynamic range of –131dBu…22 dBu
  • 100 % earth-free inputs, CMR 140 [email protected] Hz, so microphone splitting is feasible with no active splitter
  • automatic synchronisation to external wordclock without signal interruption
  • processing time only 0.6 ms
  • 8…24-channel versions available
  • remote control using PC-Remote, with level monitoring
  • internal input-channel routing to digital outputs using PC-Remote supported
  • all standard digital output formats available – AES/EBU, S/PDIF, MADI, ADAT, TDIF, Y2 …
  • 4 analog outputs for talkback and studio-out applications optionally available
  • also available as 8-channel 24-bit line version for surround-workstation applications
  • line-version: extra 8-channel D/A converters optional
  • optimal for installation close to the recording location as no fan is included
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Does it get any better than this?D.
Recorded a concert this evening with the 788T/CL8 owned by my partner. Nothing intuitive about the UI, ergonomics quite difficult. Fiddly as well. Very powerful machine though, lots of functions, just hard and somewhat tedious to set and get at them. Spent the entire evening buried in the manual.

Oh for Euro ergonomics.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Recorded a concert this evening with the 788T/CL8 owned by my partner. Nothing intuitive about the UI, ergonomics quite difficult. Fiddly as well. Very powerful machine though, lots of functions, just hard and somewhat tedious to set and get at them. Spent the entire evening buried in the manual.
David, you need to spend an evening with the manual and the machine BEFORE you go out to record a gig. Then you'll find it quite easy to comprehend. I got very happy with my 744T in about two days. To have all that functionality in such a small box means some compromises. It's reallt easy once you get into it .

One shoudl never use a live show for the first use anyway!

<L>
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

I agree that the CL-8 is fiddly. But it is intended for a very narrow specific user-group; those that record sound for what is typically called ENG or Electronic News Gathering. These mixers work out of a bag that they carry around on their chest! Heavy mutha with a mixer, a recorder and usually 4 wireless mic receivers. Two more wireless transmitters to send the sound to the video camera, some sort of IFB transmitter to feed clients' headsets and usually a boom mic in their hands. Tough gig!

The CL-9/778T combo is feature packed and takes some training to get comfortable with, but Pro Tools is as well. Would you do a big edit job on PT without being comfortable with the application?

IF IT WERE EASY, ANYONE COULD DO IT!

D.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
David, you need to spend an evening with the manual and the machine BEFORE you go out to record a gig. Then you'll find it quite easy to comprehend. I got very happy with my 744T in about two days. To have all that functionality in such a small box means some compromises. It's reallt easy once you get into it .
+1 !
I got my 744T 2 weeks ago, and had my first gig yesterday, solo accordion recording.
Very nice, small, easy to operate (spend some time with the manual) and feels solid.
Much nicer than the RME Fireface/laptop-setup I had before!

-jon
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Don't worry, it wasn't the main recorder, the Nagra V was, and I never needed to look at the manual for it when I first took it on a gig. We were experimenting with the 788T for the first time and I have stated my impressions after trying to get it to record. We did it successfully I might add. Thanks for the lesson though.

I regard ergonomics to be the number 1 feature of audio gear these days. Sonic quality is a given and so can be largely ignored, except of course if it's bad.

I took the Nagra VI out on a test gig and we recorded multi-track straight away without any messing about or paging through the manual. It is a much clearer and intuitive machine to operate than the 788T.

There is no question about the 788T's quality or its formidable power, and it all has to fit into a small box. But I suspect this is the main problem. The box is too small. The tiny labels, the closeness and crowding of the buttons, the multipurpose buttons that change function on a whim (this is a real ergonomic no-no), the combination of rotary knob, soft buttons and rocker switches is all very confusing. While there is some redundancy in selection (confusing), ie soft screen button OR side knob push, sometimes you get into a menu and you can't get out! None of the exit or go-back methods works. These are all symptoms of the machine just being too darn small. Firmware may fix some of these things anyway.

Its beautifully machined and assembled though, and it sounds great, it's just difficult to use in comparison to others. Dunno how the ENG guys out there in the snow with gloved fingers are going to cope.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I regard ergonomics to be the number 1 feature of audio gear these days. Sonic quality is a given and so can be largely ignored, except of course if it's bad.

I took the Nagra VI out on a test gig and we recorded multi-track straight away without any messing about or paging through the manual. It is a much clearer and intuitive machine to operate than the 788T.
I totally agree. This is especially true if its a hire machine when you might not have the time or inclination to learn the manual!

I have to say that the Nagra VI is incredible in its ergonomics and intuitive operation (not to mention the sound).

When I was considering the SD702 or the Nagra LB I concluded that the very slight extra size of the LB was far less important than the ergonomics.

When shoulder slung the LB is perfect, everything is clear and immediately operational. I cannot say the same for the SD7** of recorders.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting and educational posts! I have had my 744T since 2004, and know it so well that I do not remember having one minute of problem with it. Perhaps the 788 is a few layers more complex.

Not having a NAGRA to compare it with, I have no idea how different it is.

Thanks,

Lou
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

i have used all the 7xx series as well as many nagras and the zaxxcom deva.

they are all easy to use. I cannot see for the life of me how someone could have trouble with the 7xx series? i mean..the operation is very, very simple.

the zaxxcom is a lot harder, but with a load more features+flexibility, that is to be expected.
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Nut

I was up and running with my 788 the day I got it. Didn't have any problems and haven't since. So I can't help wondering if complaining about the "fiddly" ergonomics is an age thing? Seems almost elementary-school simple and clear to me, and I've looked at the manual for all of about fifteen minutes. Do you guys have trouble with child-proof medicine containers?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Teddy and Marvin, thanks for your comments. I agree completely... Only thing simpler was my new Zoom Q3.

L

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search