The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Perhaps, the world's smallest full-featured 12-track rig. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have the 722 and the 788. I find them as difficult as a Walkman. This is daunting for some it seems. It has not been a problem for me. Maybe it is an IQ test of sorts?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin100 View Post
Seems almost elementary-school simple and clear to me, and I've looked at the manual for all of about fifteen minutes. Do you guys have trouble with child-proof medicine containers?
I didnt even have a manual and did fine.
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Nut

Lets not start a war over this...It's down to personal taste.

There are many great recorders on the market - choose your favourite tool and record great sounds with it!

- Jon
Old 25th March 2010
The most complicated recorder ever - Aaton Cantar X
Took me a week to learn. And I still feel that I studied the rarest "African language". I can speak and I understand it. But still I ask myself - for what reason in the world they made it such?!
If you are not French, you better use SD, Nagra, Zaxcom, Sonosax, Tascam or Fostex.
I am not french and I use (and love) my SD744T although I worked with most of them.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Condescending and ageist comments aside (attack my words, not me!), I did not say it was impossible to use, and you may find it easy, until you try a Nagra, or until you have to try it in the dark and you have left the manual at home. It depends on one's frame of reference.

Top class ergonomics is what really distinguishes products these days. Witness the almost unimaginable success of the iPhone, and the desperate scrambling of companies with copycat designs.

I am making comments about design here and not user competency.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

It's funny (ha-ha) that you should bring up the Nagra. The first recorder I ever owned was a Nagra III. It took me a long time to figure out how to make it work; even blew the job on a very early Crazy Eddie (NYC legend in the early 70's) commercial because of sync issues from operator error. Now that manual. . .English translation from original Swiss French. Oy!

Then the Nagra 4.2. With the various plug-in mic preamps! Oh, and the IVSTC? They were all a little weird, but they were the most beautiful pieces of industrial engineering ever made! I love Nagra stuff. I'd love to own their stereo hi-fi preamp. Arcane AND battery powered, but lovely.

These are just Nagra stories, no offense to any one intended.

Now back to +1 for Sound Devices; some of the nicest, most helpful folks you would ever want to do business with.

But my earlier remarks about these things being merely tools still holds. Each has it's appeal, and I think each will do it's job with more grace and skill, more consistently than I could ever do mine. So they all must be okay, yes?

BTW, I also love vintage Nikon cameras. Any die-hard Canon lovers out there<g>? Record music, take photos. It's all good.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Douglas, I was referring to the digital Nagra's mainly. I think, as you say, for "on the chest" operation the 788 would be a great size. It's clear that it's aimed mainly at the ENG and remote movie applications. As is the Nagra VI for that matter.
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Guru

But why an 8 channel mixer with a 12 track recorder?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
But why an 8 channel mixer with a 12 track recorder?
8 mic preamps?
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
8 mic preamps?
Sure. But mixing those 12 tracks through an 8 channel mixer doesn't seem like the best choice to me.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure. But mixing those 12 tracks through an 8 channel mixer doesn't seem like the best choice to me.
Go read the website and maybe the manual and you'll get it:

The 788T Portable, Multi-Track Audio Recorder with Time Code | Sound Devices, LLC

Check it out! Individual research is so much more rewarding than asking forum questions...(no offense, no question is really dumb unless unasked!)

L
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Addict

it is a 8 input machine

Quote:
Rob :
The 788T is a 8 input machine with 12 recording tracks. The additional four are a stereo LR and an additional set of Aux tracks. So techically there are two sets of mixes possible.

I haven't used the CL-9 yet so I don't know how they have implemented different pan levels (or not) between the LR and Aux mixes but I am sure they have figured out a way.

The "master" section is controlled with standard pots I think instead of faders.

Looks like very and minimalist industrial design.

Baithak
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

I find the 7-series recorders easier to use with a little holder to prop it up
on it's end, straight up. This might apply to other small recorders as well.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
If you needed 24 tracks, the HD24 would give it a drubbing. They are all good tools, right?
You need a HD24XR for 24/96 and then it does 12 channels, not 24. I have one and it's a great machine, but not portable as a 788T or Nagra VI. And it has no preamps.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

I had two HD24XRs. the first one failed on the first outing. I never used them again. Sold the other one(which was brand new)
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

If I ventured to suggest that smooth operation / intuitive ergonomics in recording equipment tend to make one think that the gear sounds better too, then I'd probably get howled down (particularly as there's already a bit of grouch in this thread!) - so I won't.

Perhaps the smaller the gear and the more function that's packed into the smallness, the more the vital ergonomics become.

A final thought - with practically any gear for any purpose, it seems to me that you start to feel comfortable with it when you know "how it thinks", almost like developing a relationship with a person. Perhaps what's really happening there is that you're getting to know how the designer thinks. But I do find myself ascribing human characteristics to gear. Perhaps I should meet more people.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
8 tracks and a two-track mix. M-S and M-S decode. I am certain that I will find uses for the track space.

D.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
You need a HD24XR for 24/96 and then it does 12 channels, not 24. I have one and it's a great machine, but not portable as a 788T or Nagra VI. And it has no preamps.
Does that mean you don't see my point? Sorry, the post was not really about a specific machine; rather ALL machines (even 1960's Ford Tractors!).

D.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Does that mean you don't see my point? Sorry, the post was not really about a specific machine; rather ALL machines (even 1960's Ford Tractors!).

D.
Doug, you've made some great points and I may have mistaken this one. I think we agree. Comparisons should always consider like features and not ignore major functional differences. In this regard I think the line of complaints saying SD7xx recorders are complex is silly.

Nagra UIs, based on venerable analog recorders, are wonderful. SD transport controls are just as easy, but since they have more IO features and digital functions, SD recorders are more like a fighter jet than an executive jet built for comfort. Arguments about build quality and sonics are fair game. In any case, even experienced "pilots" should learn what's in a system's cockpit before taking off. After taking one out a few times most SD7xx users enjoy their power and agility enough to forego some familiar comforts.

P.S. My 744T and 788T have been rock solid in 5 years of recording almost every weekend. In that regard Nagra and SD have a lot in common; both are highly reliable professional tools.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

It's all about comparisons. Are the SD recorders ergonomically well designed machines? of course. Are the new Nagra machines that were mentioned better in that regard? of course they are. But until you have used both the SD and the Nagra devices mentioned then you are not really in a position to comment on that one.

Cheap comments about IQ and age do not compute. And anyway I am 14 and a half years old.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

It has also been confirmed recently that bananas actually taste better than apples.
Old 30th March 2010
Super Moderator

No, I believe oranges taste better than bananas or apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
It has also been confirmed recently that bananas actually taste better than apples.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Ya know, it is all a matter of taste. I happen to like figs and mangoes.

Peaches are nice too.

L
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
No, I believe oranges taste better than bananas or apples.
Since you are the moderator I believe it too.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Ya know, it is all a matter of taste. I happen to like figs and mangoes.

Peaches are nice too.

L
For the price, you can't beat an orange. Except I hear apples are cheaper in the UK...

Either way, though, none of them can hold a candle to fried chicken.
Old 31st March 2010
Super Moderator

Thumbs up I want the world's smallest full-featured 12-track rig too!

That being said, I'd blow off a month of eating, bananas, apples, oranges, figs, mangoes, peaches, and that ever so "finger licking good" fried chicken to have a rig like tourtelot...

I mean, that is pretty bad-arse!
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Nut

hehe I'm with you. That CL-9 doesn't make sense for what I do, but...what is that?...um...I want one anyway
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

From a recent gig.
Attached Thumbnails
Perhaps, the world's smallest full-featured 12-track rig.-p1000705.jpg  
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
From a recent gig.
Nice rig David!
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
From a recent gig.
Wow, I have a table like that! '=)

Otherwise, a 744T is as close as I come, with a Millenia HV3 (classic original one) for the 3/4 pres...

L

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search