The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

The ultimate *affordable* omni's for main miking large orchestras Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
The answer to this question remains NT5s with Omni caps. Too bright pointing at the group? Turn em around or point them up.

They really are very surprising mics for how cheaply this setup can be had. Try them with balls too.
Yes they fight well above their weight class. Re. balls....do you have any ready-manufactured sources you could recommend, or have you gone the DIY route for these ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Yes they fight well above their weight class. Re. balls....do you have any ready-manufactured sources you could recommend, or have you gone the DIY route for these ?
You can use the Schoeps spheres as they are the same diameter, or you can buy those 3D printed ones, which are apparently better than they used to be. Or you can make your own.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

I can buy an used pair of neumann km183 OR a pair of at4022. Which pair do you recommend for classical music/Wind bands?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorba1977 View Post
I can buy an used pair of neumann km183 OR a pair of at4022. Which pair do you recommend for classical music/Wind bands?
The AT will be much lower cost than the Neumann. Maybe you could start with a pair of the AT, and if you don't like them you could sell them with much less loss than if you sold the Neumanns ?

What sort of hall or room are you going to be using them in ?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Between those two the KM183 are the much better mics. Using omni mics--
so-called "real microphones," is both a great challenge and the ultimate sound.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can buy an used pair of neumann km183 OR a pair of at4022.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
The AT will be much lower cost than the Neumann. Maybe you could start with a pair of the AT, and if you don't like them you could sell them with much less loss than if you sold the Neumanns ?
I think the opposite.

2 new AT4022 price ~ 750 €

KM 183 stereo set price ~ 1400 € (It can be found for less than 1300 €). Used price < 1000 €. If sold, loss on 2 new AT4022 is expectingly larger than on an used KM 183 stereo set.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
183s. No question. Like I said about the 184s, it wouldn't be my first choice but I could make a good recording with them.

Quote:
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

They are all used, so if I sell them I don't expect to loss too money.
I will record in theaters, churches, small halls and outdoor.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

They are both capable mics. You can achieve credible results with either. The money you save with the Audio Technica AT4022 mics can be used for other gear. But the enjoyment you will have from owning the Neumann mics may be worth the difference in price. If you don't worry about budget, buy the KM183 pair.
Old 3 days ago
Neumann, unless you’re expecting to use them up-close a lot.

They are diffused field EQ’d so they work incredibly well for things like pipe organ, room mics, large ensemble mains, etc where the mics are 10 to infinity feet in the air.

On chamber ensembles or solo setups they’ll start to show their brightness in somewhat unflattering ways, though this can be slightly alleviated with clever mic placement.

But they are Neumann’s, and very good mics. They have “the sound”. Highly recommended
Old 2 days ago
Quote:

They have “the sound”.
Careful! You’re starting to sound like Plush. Respect the brand, buddy
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
Old 1 day ago
To be fair, this was my original post here.

I’m partial to diffuse field Omnis with balls, what can I say.

Quote:
The answer to this question remains NT5s with Omni caps. Too bright pointing at the group? Turn em around or point them up.

They really are very surprising mics for how cheaply this setup can be had. Try them with balls too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search