The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

The ultimate *affordable* omni's for main miking large orchestras Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
interesting... the good thing about having separate mics instead of capsules is that you can use them all at once...
Bingo.

If I could only have two SDC pairs, I'd have DPA4060/61 and MKH8040. One, or the other, or both ("both" being generally deployed ORTF 8040 between 4061 in 1m AB on a thin rod). I can very nicely live with what I can capture from those boys.

HB
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

I don't know if it's only me, but...if we speak about affordable omnis with the "wow!" factor..
Just made a recording of a small ensemble playing some unknown baroque stuff. :D
Baroque instruments - violino solo, violini 1 and 2, viola, cello, doublebass, cembalo. Very dry studio - I guess around 80m2, but very well executed if we speak in the terms of the acoustics. It was their first rehearsal, so forgive them some amount of free interpretation of the musical aspects
For this recording I just used one pair of omni microphones. Won't say the name yet. I'm very courious if you would guess what are they.
I'm still polishing my skills in using just omnis, so I guess you could say also some useful critique about the sound, placement etc.

Distance between mics was around 45cm, I guess more than 3m high. 1,5m at front of the ensemble.

I see few things I should correct in the recording - speaking about placement of the microphones, but wow!!!, I'm sooo suprised by the detail and sound of these mics...I won't say - bass thrills like in DPA 4006, but the thrill is definitely there.

Just a tad of reverb was added.

Edit - 12/10/2018:

To make the riddle a little more transparent - it is a microphone which aroused quite turbulent discussions here on the forum. Don't want to say more. Very known and very cheap.
Attached Files

Autumn.mp3 (2.84 MB, 418 views)

Last edited by Stradivariusz; 4 days ago at 06:07 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Not a big interest in the riddle. Doesn't matter
The mics are Rode NT5 with omni capsule. Pre and A/D - Audient ASP800, D/A - RME Digiface.
Pointed out of the side of the orchestra, I guess around 110* degrees.
Pointed forward on the orchestra gave a much too sharp, busy and unpleasant sound, but they were not yet in the diffuse field, which for this room started still around 50cm higher (that's what I've noticed by the ear placing other microphones that high) Opening them up was suddenly very nice to listen.
Enjoying them a lot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search