The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , ,

chamber ensemble recording...spaced pairs? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Interesting twist on the 4 mic Faulkner phased array, by substituting cardioids for the omnis at 60cm AB. Are they angled outwards or straight ahead ?
Angled slightly outwards. Maybe 8-12 degrees off of straight ahead, usually aimed a hair outside the perimeter of the group.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by two|twelve View Post
Angled slightly outwards. Maybe 8-12 degrees off of straight ahead, usually aimed a hair outside the perimeter of the group.
Thanks Michael....food for thought !

If there's any cause for doubt in your claims, it would be that the central NOS sub-cards alone would be capable of creating that 'deep bass projection' without the co-operation of AB omnis at 60 or 67 cm ? The outer cardioid pair would be unable to supply or support that.

I wonder if the same approach could also work for the outriggers (flanks) for wider ensembles like orchestras ? Typically (ie Decca Tree) those mics would be omnis, but if those omnis were M50s then you'd be getting some HF beaming into the bargain...so would cardioids used in their place be a great departure ? You'd certainly get less ambience than 4x omnis across the front ....or 5 if it's a Tree in the centre...but perhaps the better edge definition would offset this ambience curtailment ? Skating on thin ice here...expecting my arrest by Decca Police soon to follow
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
...so would cardioids used in their place be a great departure ? You'd certainly get less ambience than 4x omnis across the front ....or 5 if it's a Tree in the centre...but perhaps the better edge definition would offset this ambience curtailment ? Skating on thin ice here...expecting my arrest by Decca Police soon to follow
cannot comment much on the use of decca but on larger l/c/r mains with 2 flankers (or very wide a/b on separate stands): imo a very capable way of recording large orchestras - i've been using various mics in these positions with mostly directional characteristics; my little twist is to use a soundfield or an m/s pair in the center and i mostly opt for wide cardioids on the flankers.

(btw: most any mic gets more directional towards the hf with sdc's keeping their pattern to lower frequencies than ldc's - i did get to use m50's but nothing to compare side by side so cannot comment how much more pronounced this effect is with the m50's)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search