The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Shure KSM 141...are they good? Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Nut

Question Shure KSM 141...are they good?

Thinking of getting a pair of those, mainly because i need the omni option.
Otherwise I would have gone for the Josephsons (cardioid only ).

Anyone out there that knows the 141s ?
Acoustic & nylon string gtrs would be the reason of the purchase.

Thanks to all in advance.

Renzo Mantovani
Old 23rd May 2003
member no 666

I have yet to hear one... but in a recent conversation, Steve Albini told me that he thought they were quite excellent microphones...
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Nut

Thank you Fletcher.

Any owner out there?
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear
Hi.

I am far far far from pro, but i got a pair of 141s to review for tapeop and i love them. they struck me as being very flat with a really nice thick detailed midrange. the lack of top end hype took a little getting used to, and i definitely preferred my akg c33e for overheads, but i've been using the 141s on guitars, vox, percussion, and room mics. i've used them in both cardiod and omni for room mics, depending on the room, and gotten nice results with each. it sounded good on the side of my snare too.
certainly worth checking out!

cheers,
-scott
Old 21st June 2003
Gear Addict

Very good mic,another winner from the Shure Company. They seem to have a good smooth frequency Response,and have had a chance to try them on a few things. Piano,Violin, Hi side of Lesile Cabinet. They have not dissapointed yet. Want to see how they are on a snare.
Old 21st June 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

mantovibe, I think the 141's work better if you want a direct, close sound rather than when using stereo pairs where they capture less spacial dimension and depth of imagery. Pretty flat response curve. Very good SDC's for someone in a studio with less than stellar acoustics, as they tend to pick up less background noise than some other more sensitive SDC's.

An excellent and versatile mic for pop and rock. Wouldn't be my choice for classical stereo recordings – or when you want to emphasis the sound of the recording space.
Old 21st June 2003
Gear Nut

Thank you all.
I have tried it myself and my impressions reflect the posts above EXACLTLY.
Old 5th July 2003
Here for the gear

Yes they are good!!!
Simply as that.
Old 5th July 2003
Lives for gear
I've had a pair for a while. I kind of think of them as having an in your face sort of sound. My fave pair for acoustic guitar. I'm glad to see Steve Albini likes 'em.

Steve
www.mojopie.com
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

bump to a very old thread....

anyone else have them? use them?

thanks!

heh
Old 21st January 2007
Jai guru deva om

Very specific sounding mic, I reviewed it back in 03:

http://www.mojopie.com/ksm141.html

War
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict
Completely underrated.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Copared to my oktava mk012s the 141 sounds very smooth with stronger bass and slower transient response. For acoustic guitar I like a single mk012 much better than a single 141 (I have only one 141). But I had good results with a femal voice.
Old 22nd January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

One of my favourite snare mics and makes a nice overhead pair for drums too.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

They are a very very very very clear mic. Perfect compliment to the 012 pair. They may even be too clear for some things, still a sickly great mic, and a sleeper also.

You dont hear them mentioned that much.

If you dont need the omni, the KSM 137 is the same mic except cardioid only, lil cheaper too.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I have one that I got when they first came out. I'm still trying to figure out why I haven't picked up more of them. I love them. Fantastic for capturing a very natural and realistic snare drum sound. No problem handling SPLs and the cardioid/omni selctor gives you some nice options. It sounds great as a bottom snare mic, as well.

I also really like it on acoustic string instruments like guitar, mandolin, dobro, and violin. It's got a very even and "woody" sort of sound to me. Clear on the top end, but not peaky at all.

I've used it in a variety of other situations and it's pretty much always fared perfectly well. Electric guitar amps, percussion, upright bass, harmonica, keyboard amps, and even vocals. I'd love to try a pair on piano.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 24th January 2007
It's killer on hi hat! Makes a harsh hat smoother than say the newer 451B

i also used it on a cello under the neck in omni!
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

I tried some out when I was shopping for SDC's for acoustic guitar. They have a very nice tone and are certainly great mics (especially considering the price tag) but I ended up buying a pair of Josephson C42's which I found to be a bit more articulate (and have a bit more top end - perfect for acoustics in a mix with other instruments). If you can, check them both our before you buy.
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Head
Hi!
Has anybody tried them for recording choirs?
Thanks!
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Typically we use LDC's for choirs, but I'm sure the 141's would do a perfectly acceptable job.
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Addict

In word "Big".

They have a forward quality to them without sounding EQ'd. Extremely fast response make them great for percussion and acoustic guitars. I've not tried them on OH's but I imagine they're pretty good - if larger than life. They also work rather well on vox. I wouldn't use them for a final lead vox but in omni for backing vox can work very well and spoken word is also very clear and realistic.

Get a pair. You'll be surprised how often you use them.

GM
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear
Yet another happy camper....
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

I beta tested them before they came out, I use them all the time in session, and in the field. I own a lot of other high end mics, earthworks, b&k, gefell, neumann, lawson etc. Dan Richards comments are right on the money. They have great tone as spot mics, really great, but lack in the depth dept. Im glad I own mine, and Im glad I own other mics for a little more pizzaz.

Frost
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Nut

I have a pair that I use as stage mics for acoustic instruments (fiddle, mandolin, dreadnaught guitar). They sound good, but they won't replace my KM84s in the studio.
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

I love them. They manage to give a sound that at once feels natural while also making the source sound nicely present. Good on guitars (acoustic or electric), drum OH, snare, toms, dig 'em in a stereo omni pair for drum room, piano, vibraphone... they're really great mics to have around as they seem to sound pretty decent on just about anything, and excellent on many things. They're also fairly inexpensive and handle huge SPL. What's not to love?
Old 7th October 2007
Gear Maniac

I'd have to agree with the above poster(s).

Those mics sound good on LOTS of source.

The switchable cardioid/omni option is AWESOME!!

Very versatile, and excellent build quality!!

Please and thank you.

Laters,
Pfhuck
Old 12th February 2009
Here for the gear

Does anybody have a violin sample with this KSM141 please?
Old 13th February 2009
I like it for snare bottom.
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear

would these be good for recording piano?
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Hi, how would users of the 141 characterize the omni setting, especially in regard to other mics that are perhaps dedicated omnis? or at least dedicated capsules?

does the omni setting in the 141 live up to the omni namesake?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search