The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

My new old toy Patchbays
Old 6th May 2016
Hey everyone,

I don't suppose you have the information from Audio Developments about the Pico AD145 direct output modification? I have tried to get in contact with them several times over the last few months with not luck.
Old 6th May 2016
Gear Addict

Many years ago I contacted them for the same thing, here is the reply that I received..... I have not modified mine at this stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reply to your question; it is relatively easy to bring the direct channel signal out on an AD145. The tap-off point on the input module for pre-fader is Point 103 on the Mic/Line Circuit Diagram and for post-fader, Point 203 on the same circuit diagram. If you choose pre-fader operation then you will need to change IC1 to an IC that has more drive capability, such as a TL2061 or TL071. If you choose post-fader operation then the same applied to IC2.

The biggest problem with such modifications tends to be arranging the mechanics.

Concerning the main mix output ‘running hot’ as you put it? I have no explanation other than the factory setting for an AD145 was 0dB reference on the outputs. Thus unless someone has modified your mixer, then this is how it should be. There is no pre-set type of adjustment on the outputs of an AD145, therefore if it has been modified it would have required resistors to be changed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear
Looks like there's one for sale now from Quebec...3 times it didn't meet the reserve price, only $629 ...bargain !
My new old toyAudio Developments AD145 Pico Mixer | eBay
Old 6th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
Many years ago I contacted them for the same thing, here is the reply that I received..... I have not modified mine at this stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reply to your question; it is relatively easy to bring the direct channel signal out on an AD145. The tap-off point on the input module for pre-fader is Point 103 on the Mic/Line Circuit Diagram and for post-fader, Point 203 on the same circuit diagram. If you choose pre-fader operation then you will need to change IC1 to an IC that has more drive capability, such as a TL2061 or TL071. If you choose post-fader operation then the same applied to IC2.

The biggest problem with such modifications tends to be arranging the mechanics.

Concerning the main mix output ‘running hot’ as you put it? I have no explanation other than the factory setting for an AD145 was 0dB reference on the outputs. Thus unless someone has modified your mixer, then this is how it should be. There is no pre-set type of adjustment on the outputs of an AD145, therefore if it has been modified it would have required resistors to be changed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks OzGizmo!

I had more or less figured out the post fader direct out, but its nice to be reassured it is the way to go. The tricky bit is trying to maintain the modular design. On a Neve 542 mixer for example, there is a spare pin on the edge connector that can be isolated and used for the direct out.

I haven't figured out a way to do it on the AD145 short of adding an inline connector between the module and the output connector, or drilling a hole in the module faceplate and adding a connector there.
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
Thanks OzGizmo!

I had more or less figured out the post fader direct out, but its nice to be reassured it is the way to go. The tricky bit is trying to maintain the modular design. On a Neve 542 mixer for example, there is a spare pin on the edge connector that can be isolated and used for the direct out.

I haven't figured out a way to do it on the AD145 short of adding an inline connector between the module and the output connector, or drilling a hole in the module faceplate and adding a connector there.
The direct out mod I did to my Pico (years ago) added a mini jack to each strip at the top by the trim control. This preserved the modularity of the design, and worked quite well. We built a bespoke outboard submixer that received the direct outs and other audio into a box that mounted above the mixer on the sound cart, which in turn supported a tray that held the Nagra (later DAT) recorder. This made for a very compact but also very versatile setup. The Pico has lots of room inside it so it's pretty easy to do all sorts of mods.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search