The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Sennheiser headphones Studio Headphones
Old 13th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm sorry if I'm running off-topic here, but I've been seeing quite a bit of praise for the AKG 240M cans.

Anybody have any experience with the new version (AKG K240S)?

AKG K 240 Studio from zZounds.com

I'm thinking I'd like to try a pair if they're anything like what I've been hearing about their predecessors.

I was thinking of going for the K702's, but it seems they're more for making things sound pretty and the 240M's are better suited for mixing.

Any thoughts?
Old 13th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Crap, my apologies.

The new version is the K240MKII

AKG K240MKII from zZounds.com

But I'd like to hear your thoughts on either pair.
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

I've got the AKG K240 Monitor (600 ohms) and the AKG K701. I much prefer the K701 that I felt having a fuller sound.
Old 21st November 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Headphones burn-in / break-in is definitely not a myth to me anymore. Had to swap a driver in my old trusty Sennheisers HD580. Got it via local ad board from a guy with one driver damaged by his kid since Sennheiser politics ( send the headphones in, if they got the driver on stock then they replace it and send back, otherwise they would wait until shipped 2+ weeks and then replace and send back), the turnaround time for me was shorter getting a defective unit.
On receiving the driver it turned out the bass and the phase response was not the same, the new unit was restarined in the bass and less sensitive in low-mids\bass\subbass. Especially obvious when checked with mono pink noise in antiphase L\R. Run about 20 hours on a swept sine 30 - 50 Hz - no pink noise needed. The new unit reportedly barely used when headphones were intact got as the old one.
So burn-in / break-in is not a myth.
NOTE do it at not clipping\damaging levels, but clode to the maximum. Perhaps not at a single run, maybe in a 12\12 hours cycle since the voicecoil may be getting overheated (???).
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear
You need to replace both drivers
Old 21st November 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
You need to replace both drivers
Why? Do you replace all tyres when one deflates?
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Why? Do you replace all tyres when one deflates?
Yes - if one tyre goes, you replace both on the same axel, unless it's almost new and has the same tread depth.

Same with headphones - you replace both capsules so they stay matched and you don't get an unbalancded sound. Especially with the AKG 701 series that take several hundred hours to fully burn in.
Old 21st November 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Yes - if one tyre goes, you replace both on the same axel, unless it's almost new and has the same tread depth.

Same with headphones - you replace both capsules so they stay matched and you don't get an unbalancded sound. Especially with the AKG 701 series that take several hundred hours to fully burn in.
According to this logic one should throw the pair with the broken speaker to the thrashbin and buy a working pair. However Sennheiser do neither recommend to nor replace both drivers.
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
However Sennheiser do neither recommend to nor replace both drivers.
Sennheiser headphones don't need the burn in time like the AKG and would burn in in about 48 hours.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search