The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

John Hardy preamp question 500 Series Preamps
Old 12th December 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Any new info on the release of the 500-series Hardy preamp, John? I'm just about to pull the trigger on either the personal preamp, or the M-1 single channel, but a 500-series version sounds mighty tempting.
Old 12th December 2011
  #32
Deleted User
Guest
bump
Old 12th December 2011
  #33
Gear Maniac
 

Ultra close to release.

John Hardy
Old 13th December 2011
  #34
Def interested. A website might already be "leaking" the details:

John Hardy 500 Series Microphone Preamps at Pro Audio Boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hardy View Post
Ultra close to release.

John Hardy

I wonder how it will compare to the JLM Audio Dual99v500
Old 13th December 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
Def interested. A website might already be "leaking" the details:

John Hardy 500 Series Microphone Preamps at Pro Audio Boutique

Nice find!

I guess I should just stick to the rack unit for now, as I'd be looking for the M-1 500-series unit. I know it's slated to follow soon after release of the Twin Servo 500-series unit, but I somehow completely forgot that the Servo was always slated to be first.

Anyway, this is exciting news for those with lunchboxes! I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for the M-1 500-series pre. Kudos, John.
Old 13th December 2011
  #36
Eh...I was wrong. John already leaked the info listed on that website himself in a PDF released a couple of years ago:

www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/JensenTwinServo500Preliminary.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Nice find!

I guess I should just stick to the rack unit for now, as I'd be looking for the M-1 500-series unit. I know it's slated to follow soon after release of the Twin Servo 500-series unit, but I somehow completely forgot that the Servo was always slated to be first.

Anyway, this is exciting news for those with lunchboxes! I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for the M-1 500-series pre. Kudos, John.
Old 13th December 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
Eh...I was wrong. John already leaked the info listed on that website himself in a PDF released a couple of years ago:

www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/JensenTwinServo500Preliminary.pdf
Yeah, I've seen that document before, but you found a website with a price, and it appear as though the unit can be ordered (though it may be wiser to wait until John formally announces its release).

I think you still deserve some applause for the discovery, haha!
Old 13th December 2011
  #38
Gear Maniac
 

Pro Audio Boutique is premature with their information. Two points in particular:

1. I changed the push-button at the top to a "MUTE" button. There are three reasons for this. First, in the wild and unpredictable world of the 500 series, it may be better to have the output transformer in the signal path at all times. Second, the output transformer can still be bypassed with a jumper that simply plugs in where the transformer would normally plug in. Third, the MUTE function can be very helpful in dealing with micing problems, etc.

2. The pricing that they show ($895) is preliminary, and may be higher when I formally release the product.

Thank you.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
The John Hardy Co. Home
Old 21st January 2012
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
DBArnold's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hardy View Post
Pro Audio Boutique is premature with their information. Two points in particular:

1. I changed the push-button at the top to a "MUTE" button. There are three reasons for this. First, in the wild and unpredictable world of the 500 series, it may be better to have the output transformer in the signal path at all times. Second, the output transformer can still be bypassed with a jumper that simply plugs in where the transformer would normally plug in. Third, the MUTE function can be very helpful in dealing with micing problems, etc.

2. The pricing that they show ($895) is preliminary, and may be higher when I formally release the product.

Thank you.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
The John Hardy Co. Home
Sorry about the confusion fellow gearslutz. Our website has been corrected until we hear further details from John about the Twin Servo 500. Yes the pricing that was listed was preliminary. As John mentioned things are still in the works. We will update the Pro Audio Boutique website with more information as I received it from Mr. Hardy.
Old 28th January 2012
  #40
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hardy View Post
Ultra close to release.

John Hardy
Looking forward to it (still) ...
Old 30th January 2012
  #41
Twin Servo 500

Hey John, how are things, hope you're well, nice weather, how 'bout them Cubs, yadda yadda, etc. HURRY UP!!!!
Old 30th January 2012
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
DBArnold's Avatar
 

Just spoke to John the other day. He is 99% there!!! So stay tuned...




David B Arnold
Http://www.DavidBArnold.com
Http://www.ProAudioBoutique.com - Tennessee Pro Audio Recording Equipment Sales, Consultation and Tech Support
Old 14th March 2012
  #43
Okay, it has been 45 more days since "any day now." What the what?!
Old 29th March 2012
  #44
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Still excited about this as well. Seems that folks have been waiting for eons though, haha. I'm pretty much getting one whenever they're released, but have grown curious about the Buzz Elixir in the meantime. I'd rather wait for the M1 500 series as well, but am worried that one will never come out, if this first one has taken so many years after being reported as almost there. You've got a lot of potential buyers John!
Old 30th March 2012
  #45
Ive been waiting, jones ing with my OSA mp1a. Someday the real thing will come out and make me forget all about that
Old 9th March 2014
  #46
What ever happened to this preamp? Never got released?
Old 10th October 2014
  #47
Gear Addict
 
RMJAZZ's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
What ever happened to this preamp? Never got released?



I was just wondering about this. It's been so long I had forgotten about it.
Old 27th March 2018
  #48
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hardy View Post
Any of the preamps will do a great job with any of those mics. The Jensen Twin Servo is a two-stage design that can be an advantage if you need very high gain all or most of the time. The two-stage design splits the gain equally between the two 990C op-amps rather than have one op-amp (M-1 or M-2) provide all of the gain. This can provide a little less distortion and wider bandwidth because each of the two op-amps is working at a more relaxed gain than a single op-amp would otherwise have to do. But the M-1 and M-2 do a fine job at high gains.

I am putting the finishing touches on my first 500-series card, the Jensen Twin Servo 500. I am determined to have a finished card for AES in October. The Jensen Twin Servo is the most complex, so I thought I would get the hardest one out of the way first. The easier ones (M-1 and M-2 versions) can easily follow the form-factor dictated by the Twin Servo.

That would have to be a new product to do it properly. Maybe some day.

Thank you.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
The John Hardy Co. Home
Talk about reviving a thread - I was just wondering if the channels can be summed (via a purchase option or by design). I know Millenia Media after I spoke with them years ago about this actually incorporated it into their preamp offering when they did the redesign. I'm not sure if I was the cause of this option but I spoke to them for weeks about it and then it was offered within a year. Wondering if there is channel summing for this preamp?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
wilkinswp / So much gear, so little time
28
jdjustice / So much gear, so little time
0
ninjaneer / Mastering forum
10
Mario-C. / So many guitars, so little time
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump