The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

DPA4006 Decca Tree or DPA4060 ONNO, samples included Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: Which sample you like best?
DPA4006 Decca Tree
40 Votes - 71.43%
DPA4060 Onno
16 Votes - 28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Elliott View Post
Mark,
Can you please describe the 4 mic configuration please.
Thank you
Onno used a very simple array that consisted of a closely spaced pair (15-20cm), 45 degrees off center and a wide 3m spaced pair with the same orientation, all mounted on a single bar.
The real magic in this array was that by adjusting the height and front to back distance, it was like focusing a camera. You could adjust the depth of field as well as the balance and clarity. The only problem is that you have to listen and adjust, so to be quick with it takes some experience.
All the best,
-mark
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Mark
Larry
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
Onno used a very simple array that consisted of a closely spaced pair (15-20cm), 45 degrees off center and a wide 3m spaced pair with the same orientation, all mounted on a single bar.
The real magic in this array was that by adjusting the height and front to back distance, it was like focusing a camera. You could adjust the depth of field as well as the balance and clarity. The only problem is that you have to listen and adjust, so to be quick with it takes some experience.
All the best,
-mark

Mark -

Would the 45 degrees off center apply to the 406n's? They are so omni. Even DPA says that whether or not they are facing the music seems to matter little if at all.

Also, would it be possible to set one mic as a base, another 15 - 20cm and the other at 3m, mix the base mix to the near mic as one stereo track and to the far mic as the second stereo track and then manipulate the two resultant tracks from the three original or must there be the 15 - 20 cm mics in the center of the 3m mics?

I ask as I have three 4061's and wonder if that would work or whether I would need to buy another 4061. As the omnis do not localise that well I think it might work. Your thoughts??
Old 17th August 2010
The setup I'm describing uses the 4006 microphones, not the 4060's.
It basically looks like this:
\______________________\/______________________/

All the mics are hard left and right (no Panning!!!)

All the best,
-mark
Old 19th January 2011
Here for the gear

Please excuse my ignorance, but who is the composer of the extracts that Gaston posted ?

I think it is beautiful and have very low knowledge in classical music.

Thank you very much.
Old 19th January 2011
Aram Khachaturian
Waltz from Maquerade Suite
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Aram Khachaturian
Waltz from Maquerade Suite
Masquerade: Waltz
Old 20th January 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you !
Amazingly beautiful
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
All the best,
-mark
Mark,

Appreciate yor responses, thank-you.

Would an array like this for an orchestral recording be a bit back in the room as opposed to right at the stage edge?

When you mention front to back distance; how does that relate to 'a single bar'?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search