The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , ,

Dowland recording from Sweden, swedish mics Condenser Microphones
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

Talking Dowland recording from Sweden, swedish mics

Here we go. It's a concert recording from Hortlax church outside of Piteå where I study. It's made with two of these and two DPA 4011 as spots on harpsichord. Some M6000 reverb as well. RME Octamic preamp into Pro Tools.

As you can hear, these mics do sometimes benefit from bass filtering; now it's straight up-no filters. I have some other recordings with these mics that may or may not be of interest. I think they're nice for chamber music. Please let me know what you think.
Attached Files

Dowland.m4a (4.63 MB, 527 views)

Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

And some more recordings with CM402 & 4006

Here's a recording in Gammelstad church outside of Luleå (basso's hometown!). This is the child choir of the church plus a string ensemble from the School of music in Piteå.

Both the Thuresson CM402 and DPA 4006 (non-TL) are omni in this case, CM402 set one step away from full omni action and 4006 with far field (black) grid and angled straight forward instead of aiming at the ensemble. Also had some Schoeps CMC62s but I didn't like them compared to these.
Attached Files

CM402 mix.m4a (1.47 MB, 557 views)

4006 mix.m4a (1.46 MB, 477 views)

Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wow these sound excellent.

Related thread did not include pricing info, I'd be interested to know what they sell for.
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

You have PM.

Did you compare the CM402 to the 4006:s? There's a slight amount of 4015 support micing on the choir as well, but it's very tiny.
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

I did, it seemed like the 402 was a bit more full sounding, but I'm not at home and just have some earbuds so that could be off-base.
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

Stunning sound and recording JonesH, fantastic acoustic. Those mics sound wonderful. What's happened to Basso? I miss his lovely organ recording posts?
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks david!
I'm still studying so I have access to a lot of nice mics. It's quickly making me a brat ("oh, I can't have the TLM50? Oh well, I'll settle for 4003:s through Millennia")

I also miss basso. Hmm, I could upload some recordings with a decca tree + hamasaki from Luleå cathedral though. I made some experiments with distance to organ which I guess could be interesting to hear (stupid academic training makes me want to test everything).
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

This mic has been quite talked about. I understand an outfit in Memphis or Nashville has them for rent. The sound is lovely alongside of the 4006's. I wonder how they would compare to the TL's.

Also, could you post some more comparisons? I do not have the budget for a pair of these but am sure interested in them.

Found this later: microphone - condensor
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut

I think I would have preferred the 4006 with the silver grid on this recording.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudatervinning View Post
I think I would have preferred the 4006 with the silver grid on this recording.
Thanks for your comment. I started with the silver grids, of course, but found them lacking in the treble department. That's why i changed them to the black ones and angled them off-axis. You find there's still too much treble?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
This mic has been quite talked about. I understand an outfit in Memphis or Nashville has them for rent. The sound is lovely alongside of the 4006's. I wonder how they would compare to the TL's.

Also, could you post some more comparisons? I do not have the budget for a pair of these but am sure interested in them.

Found this later: microphone - condensor
Sure, I'll post some more when I get the chance. Going to do a piano + clarinet recital recording next week with 4006 and Thuresson. Also I have some chamber music with 4006 and Thuresson.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you very much. I hear a bit of harshness on the 4006s that is not on the CM402s. (For instance on the tus of the first Sanctus).
A pair of these mics might be a nice addition to my collection..
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Stunning sound and recording JonesH, fantastic acoustic. Those mics sound wonderful. What's happened to Basso? I miss his lovely organ recording posts?

Hijacking the thread a bit!

This is what I do at the moment, some videos for youtube.

YouTube - Markus Wargh play his arrangement on Jean Sibelius - Finlandia.
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

The CM402s sound much better than the 4006s. May be because they are a bit more directive, which can help against the strong reverberation.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Yes, that might be a factor. I had the mics at around 3,85 meters height as to not drench the childrens choir who were seated behind the string quartet. I now own my own pair of 402's and have mostly used them for ambience channelse as of late but I'll try to make more comparisons.
Take care.

Edit: After listening to the 402:s and 4006's from the choral recording again, I also prefer them. The lessened sibilance is nice. Also the tonality is better, less hyped in the treble. Next time I try the black grid trick, I'll have to be even more careful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search