The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Sinatra & the Impact of Sound Dynamic Microphones
Old 22nd May 2003
Gear Head

Jay, what a great quote! Try putting "it cannot become obsolete" on some of today's records!

Ted, there's a great sense of satisfaction in lining up a tape machine and getting the best performance out of it, and there's something reassuring about having something physical to lug about after the recording as well, as opposed to a set of waveforms on a screen. But you need to have a solid machine that doesn't drift out of alignment on a daily basis, or the satisfaction turns to frustration. And there's the issue of rewind time too, although some people talk about missing the time they used to use to get the little jobs like labelling and so on while the reels were spinning round. On balance I don't really miss tape machines as part of the recording process, especially the Nagras with 10" reel adapters we used to use on outside broadcasts. Now there was a tape path to give you the frighteners!

Ruphus, I think you should definitely get your girls to play and sing together and mic the performance! That's a classic example of what I mean about people worrying about seperation and isolation. If you want to hear all the elements, stick them in booths, if you want to hear a performance, do it in a one-er!
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Doug Ring sez: "Ted, there's a great sense of satisfaction in lining up a tape machine and getting the best performance out of it, and there's something reassuring about having something physical to lug about after the recording as well, as opposed to a set of waveforms on a screen. But you need to have a solid machine that doesn't drift out of alignment on a daily basis, or the satisfaction turns to frustration."

Indeed. I have an engineer who can do all the alignments and tweaks, the question is would they stay tweaked just right during transport, etc.
For studio work I have enjoyed working with a 4 track and some passive mic pre output mixers, commiting to the submixes and tracking everything live at once. It's nice only having 4 tracks as the noise is quite manageable, and intermodulation distortion is minimal (given a good arrangement! what an important thing). But live, I could see where 8 tracks and up could get to be a necessity, although just capturing a stage sound with a couple mics and having a couple vocal tracks could be pretty tolerable with the right kind of performance... should I get that lucky!

FWIW, home studio efforts from back in the day that I think really make it- the first McCartney album, and Alice Coltrane's albums recorded at the Coltrane Home Studio. The former is the one guy does it all deal (but what a guy! I adore the telecaster work on that one), the latter is a whole ensemble performing live with no overdubs, although at one point they dub on John Coltrane praying. Great albums, I only wish I could come halfway close.

And yes, these may be the exceptions that prove the rule.
Old 24th May 2003
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally posted by JayCrouch
In reference to the picture someone posted earlier of Sinatra singing into a Tele 251, this is the cover art from the album "Sinatra's Swingin' Session". I highly suggest this album for both the great performances and incredible fidelity. If I am ever in my career able to produce something that hugs the speakers the way this recording does, I could actually consider myself something more than a hack.

from the back cover:
"This monophonic recording is playable on monophonic and stereo phonographs. It cannot become obsolete. It will continue to be a source of outstanding sound reproduction, providing the finest monophonic performance from any phonograph."
Dang it, Now I gotta go find this album. Thanks for the review tho JAY! Lemme see if I can dig it up online, or somewhere....
Old 19th December 2007
Pastor Obviedo
One of the best posts ever on GS

I LOVE it!!!!!
Old 20th December 2007
Gear Addict

Great thread!
Old 31st January 2010
Lives for gear

FAN FRICKEN FABULOUS!!

BUMPO!
Old 3rd February 2010
urumita

I just thought this needed to be said again

HMmm but WAIT... Maybe by restricting tape generations and making the music live to two or three track, and using the very best engineers who layed their reputations on the line to get things EXTREMELY right from the start... and putting the edge on the live performances and making everyone work at their very best every take... just maybe this is a big part of the classic nature of Sinatra's and other folks recordings from the 50's - 70's.
Dave Derr

Also that these people worked every day at doing this thus cultivating a professional ethic.
Real Estate prices probably prohibit this now in as big a way as anything else.
Old 4th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
Just wondering...

In the Apple ad, why doesn't the mic throw a shadow like Frank does?
parallax.
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Addict

great thread
Old 19th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Funny, virtually every big rock star of the '60s and '70s had a home studio most people would die for today. Almost nothing memorable was ever produced in ANY of them and the artists wound up right back in commercial facilities because they found they NEEDED recording to be an event in order to get themselves motivated enough to come up with a truly great performance.
That was THE quote for me, great insight there Bob!

(I know this was 8 years ago, wonder if you are still following this thread?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

Just stumbled upon this thread. Great reading. Thanks!
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear
Yes indeed
Music recording has lost its way
Ensemble is best, not separation and isolation
Decision should not be delayed in the process
Western Electric (Westrex) laid the foundation of electric recording with their work in the 20s on movie sound,PA , cans ,monitors ,microphones and mixers.
They had sorted most of our problems by the mid 40's.
Roger
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear
Classic Tracks

Sinatra in the Studio, a good read.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quite probably mah favorite Ootube clip.

ns
Old 20th January 2013
Motown legend

Wow, from ten years ago! Where'd the time go?

I learned recently that it all originated with Western Electric PA systems.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

what a great video...thanks for sharing that. i wonder if that was the actual tracking date or just a publicity shoot. it looked like the real deal, how cool to see him work.

and in typical GS fashion...i was wondering what mic that was of course!!!
Old 20th January 2013
Motown legend

Wally Heider told me Frank was into using the same mike he used on stage. That looks like an AKG D24. I found out Presley had always done this beginning in Memphis and he recorded in the very same Hollywood studios Frank did so that could be where Sinatra picked up the idea.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

Bob,

Great Info! Thanks...Crazy to think Presley might have influenced 'the chairman"
Old 21st January 2013
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

+1 Yep D24.

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search