The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

8x2 1RU preamp and mixer - anything close to the ATI 8MX2? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
You know I can't find a picture of the back of the ATI.
Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails
8x2 1RU preamp and mixer - anything close to the ATI 8MX2?-picture-4.jpg  
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just for the record, the ATI 8mx2 preamp gain stages are discrete.
Hi Jimbo - when I wrote "API discrete" I meant this to distinguish it from the 512, 212, 312, etc.

Perhaps what I should have said is that it is an ATI design, not an API and there is a BIG sonic difference between the two.
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Rob said:
Quote:
it is an ATI design, not an API and there is a BIG sonic difference between the two.
Yea! To my ears the ATI needs a lot less tonal shaping to sound "natural," especially on acoustic music. At the same time, the ATI also sounds incredible on rock and roll drum kits and guitars.
Cameron

Last edited by roonsbane; 19th August 2009 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
The trick for my situation is monitoring, and while the Speck works as a 16-channel line mixer, not only is it rather expensive, I'd need a 24-channel, unless I get preamps that have some mixdown function. I also want 24 channels + monitoring in 4 rack spaces, which is kind of a tall order. I guess for you, do you want 16 channels of the same pre or some different flavors?
Oh, I just realized, for the record, that the speck is actually a 32x4 mixer, only it's configured in stereo pairs. So if you have some stereo sources they take up as many channels as your mono ones...

This standing, what do people think about the ATI:s for classical work? I just want mass amounts of clean gain...
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Not sure if it helps, but here's a jazz trio sample recorded with the SP828. I tried uploading it in .wav format, but the server wouldn't take it. This MP3 is the highest fidelity (128) I could make it and still have it upload.

I've been using a couple SP828 units (with an HD24XR) for a few years now, and I can't really complain about them. The gain pot is stepped, and most of the noise is concentrated at the upper end. If you don't need to crank the inputs, the noise should be acceptable. They're on the euphonic side of neutral. I haven't used the ATI piece, so I can't compare.

This sample was recorded in a large church with a natural 6.5 second delay. The piano was recorded with a pair of AKG C460B (with ck1 caps), the drums were a pair of Shure KSM141s, and the bass is a single Beyer MC930 mixed with DI. This is a rough mix.

Oh yeah, this is the first tune of a concert for which these musicians performed together for the first time. I didn't have any chance to do a sound check (I was literally given only 30 minutes to load in, set mics, run cables, set up recording gear, and hit record). I set the levels blind and hoped for the best.
Attached Files

Night.mp3 (5.90 MB, 340 views)

Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds good! If you want to have better quality files just shorten the clip to a snippet of the piece and encode it at a higher bitrate. I have one SP828 on the way and I'm excited to try it out. The ATI is still on my list of things to get before the end of the year. I will definitely probably split some mics to both preamps and shoot them out when I get a chance.
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

YO!

Old 22nd August 2009
Gear Maniac

I am using two 8mx2's and can definatelly tell only good things about this gear at this cost.

I has it's flaws (IMO) -
1. The limiters which are not the best around

2. The "double-potenziometers" (which i dont like) are a must if you need that in-line mixer facility of 8 channels in 1U rack, i would get the pre-amps only version if they had such model - When racking, keep in mind that these knobs are taking a bit more space at the front.

3. The on/off switch with at the front - i dont like on/off switches at the front as a concept since i mainly record in small/packed venues ;-)

4. I WISH I HAD - A/D option which i have in the Audient but again, With it's cost and sound, it is a one of the best options around.
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Head

No one has mentioned the True Precision 8. I think for the price range you have mentioned these are nice uncolored pre's.
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

For my requirements, it doesn't have a built-in mixer. But it does look like a nice unit, and if I didn't need the mixer I would definitely be more interested.
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

janglyrecords said:
Quote:
No one has mentioned the True Precision 8. I think for the price range you have mentioned these are nice uncolored pre's.
Steve Remote has both the True and the ATI. It would be great to hear his opinions of each pre's strengths and weaknesses. I got a sense from something I remember he once said in a reply, that he slightly prefers the ATI, but would love to hear some details and may be putting words in his mouth. It may be it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other under real life situations.

Steve, what do you think about the sonics of each and when would you pull out one over the other?
Cameron
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

For me, I have access to many nice preamps, but have been feeling less like a slut these days. Sorry folks! I just know that that my ATI will not prevent me from making a great recording. In recent years I have been feeling that just using my ATI's and no other pre, I can concentrate on other aspects of the craft. Especially on remotes.
Cameron
Old 6th October 2017
Here for the gear

ATI AMX2-for sale

Hey,
It seems that at one time you were looking for an ATI 8MX2..As it turns out I have one that I would love to sell "to a good home". If you are still interested, please reply here and we'll connect to discuss terms. IT's in great shape, used for say less than 20 recording sessions.
My name is Art..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search