The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Rectangular capsule users, unite! And tell us your experiences... Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Talking Rectangular capsule users, unite! And tell us your experiences...

So, you people using mics with rectangular capsules (Pearl & Milab et al), would you care to share your experiences with them? How do you take advantage of the pickup pattern, and in what situations do you find them favorable?

Steve, I know you're using Milab dc96s, would you care to comment on the use of them?
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Here we are big fans of the Pearl CC22 cardioid. It is a fantastic mic with extended treble response. The beauty part is that along with that sense of extended treble, it does not sound bright at all.

I notice that the bass response of rectangular capsules is superior to other large capsule mics.

On this particular mic, the rear rejection of sound is less than some other cardioids. This is beneficial when you want to use a cardioid mic but want to include "more than usual" hall sound.

The Pearl CC22 can be placed farther away in a reverberant hall and presents a gorgeous and airy sound.

We use the Pearl CC22 particularly on baroque music material and on period instrument ensembles.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

I've got a Pearl DS60, and I have to concur with what Plush said above, expensive, but worth it. Certainly one of my favorites. Pearl along with Milab are often overlooked, but are to be compared with the very best available.

Regards

Roland
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Very nice. Have you found use for the different polar pattern in the horizontal/vertical direction?

I'm thinking of investing in a pair of MiLab DC 196:s, that's why. But I'll have the possibility to use these before purchase wich is nice.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have a Milab DC-196 set.

Pros:
It's what I would describe as a very well "balanced" microphone. Doesn't have the high-freq peak that troubles a lot of microphones, but it's has good reach none the less.
Used on location or simply tested against other mics in simple recordings in my home lab it's obvious that they just deliver very natural sound recordings.

It's a three pattern mic that not only sounds good in cardioid, but also in omni and fig-8 there's no strange bumps or cut's, which makes it a true all-rounder.

Some reports say they have a character of ribbon mics without the without the "lo-pass filter", since I don't have any ribbons I can't comment on it. But I can confirm that they're not harsh in any way!

Cons:
It doesn't have the lo-freq reproduction of a pressure omni and not much going on above 18kHz [but many good microphones over the years has these limitations]

I like them

::
Mads
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
So, you people using mics with rectangular capsules (Pearl & Milab et al), would you care to share your experiences with them? How do you take advantage of the pickup pattern, and in what situations do you find them favorable?

Steve, I know you're using Milab dc96s, would you care to comment on the use of them?
Hi,

I have a Milab DC-96B that I've used with success on opera soprano, percussion and woodwinds. It's been bad on saxophone. In my opinion it's got a comparably low output and a noise floor above modern large diaphragm microphones so I use it on louder sources. Build quality is high and it feels very sturdy. Very low capsule resonance in the usual frequencies. It's small and easily placed, polite and natural sounding though maybe even "boring" at times. Typically Swedish

Mats Helgesson
LIVING SOUND
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Head

rectangle capsules

How would these fair in a louder Rock setting?
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakuency View Post
How would these fair in a louder Rock setting?

Supposed to be of benefit, certainly not had any problems with SPL on them. They sound great, what more can be said, I'd try one for yourself.
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

Have chosen the rectangular capsule made by Pearl of Sweden for the Bruce Swedien signature microphone I've been working on. It's simply an amazing capsule. I find it produces an amazing amount of detail, and really don't miss the typical presence peak at all. As for the pickup pattern, it's like having an alternative mode or setting, but normally I don't pay much attention, just use it vertically. You can hear some samples recorded with a prototype here:

Guitar Microphone Test
Vocal Microphone Test
Female Vocal Microphone Test

Martin
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you Martin. Always very nice to hear from an authority such as yourself. I'm going to have great fun experimenting with these in the fall...

Edit: Not your Swedien signature mic, though. Unless...
Old 5th September 2009
Gear nut

I like Pearl Mics as well.
Today I tried a cc22 on a jazz studiosession. I placed it side by side with a Neumann km56 a small foot in front of the bass bridge.
It did pretty good compared to the 56, big body and nice open top. The vintage 56 was slightly more alive - but I have no problem using the Pearl on bass on future sessions.

A month ago I witnessed a recording of Don Giovanni, with a period ensemble. Main sound came from 2 Pearl ELM A in blumlein and 2 Neumann M149 as outriggers. I really liked the Pearls, nice natural rendering of the strings, without any midrange peaks, and open velvety top. NICE!

Attached: ELM A and Bernt Malmqvist, the owner of Pearl. A nice man.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Rectangular capsule users, unite! And tell us your experiences...-pearl-004.jpg   Rectangular capsule users, unite! And tell us your experiences...-pearl-014.jpg  
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

I've enjoyed some sounds samples of these kinds of mics I've heard and there are more threads going around.

What are the differences between the Pearl and Milab mics?
Old 1st November 2012
Japan is getting into the market now as well:

AT5040

Seems interesting, Why were we so consumed with circles all this time if rectangles sound this good?

Edit $2999MSRP
Maybe Circles are cheaper to make...
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

I have the Pearl DS60, also, and find it is an excellent go-to mic for classical. It has also done very well with bluegrass. It has never disappointed me.
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

No sonic comparisons of Pearl and Milab mics in use? Anyone?

It seems there are plenty of users of one or the other but people who've used both seem more rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I have the Pearl DS60, also, and find it is an excellent go-to mic for classical. It has also done very well with bluegrass. It has never disappointed me.
For $6500 it better be absolutely amazing. You could buy a couple of Soundfields for that!
Old 7th November 2012
GES
Gear nut

I use the milab DC196 all the time. I really like them, how they translate what is beeing performed.

I sometimes combine with the km183 for adding the bright of those, just if needed, and of course for the space.
Attached Thumbnails
Rectangular capsule users, unite! And tell us your experiences...-milab-km.jpg  
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
No sonic comparisons of Pearl and Milab mics in use? Anyone?

It seems there are plenty of users of one or the other but people who've used both seem more rare.
I think I have seen about 3 in my 33 years in sound, but have heard good reports about them, I believe that they are not a cheap microphone.

Quote:
For $6500 it better be absolutely amazing. You could buy a couple of Soundfields for that!
The Pearl is very good, I've used my extensively, but I think the Soundfield is around that price.
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
The Pearl is very good, I've used my extensively, but I think the Soundfield is around that price.
The cheapest Soundfield systems without the dedicated decoder box (meant to be decoded with plug-in) are in the $3k range.

Thanks for the input!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used/heard both and could offer comparisons.
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The cheapest Soundfield systems without the dedicated decoder box (meant to be decoded with plug-in) are in the $3k range.

Thanks for the input!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used/heard both and could offer comparisons.
I accept that, but the Soundfield MkV is a better comparison. Having used both, I do like the Soundfield, but it's a strange one in that I've always used it with another system present and it has always been my second choice. It's not as warm sounding as the Pearl DS60, but it is without doubt a superb microphone. The most impressive use I've ever heard of the Soundfield was for recording the crowd sound at a football match (soccer to our American friends) and that was wonderful!
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having used both
That's a helpful comparison; thanks!

I use MS a lot and the DS60 does seem to sound wonderful but $6500 or even $3500 would buy a lot of modular Schoeps stuff so I don't foresee buying one myself...
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a helpful comparison; thanks!

I use MS a lot and the DS60 does seem to sound wonderful but $6500 or even $3500 would buy a lot of modular Schoeps stuff so I don't foresee buying one myself...
Not as expensive as you think, the $3500 would only get you a pair of schoeps with 1 type of capsule, $6500 would just about get you four, which is what the Pearl is effectively offering, though you could "cheat with a double MS set-up using a couple of Schoeps Fig 8 and a cardioid, so only three, though this has a lot less low end response and flexibility in comparison to the Pearl. A lot depends on what work you are doing and your personnel, preferences, soundwise.
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
the $3500 would only get you a pair of schoeps with 1 type of capsule
It's a buyer's market now. Full Schoeps pairs are going from $2000–$2800; capsules are going for $400–$800. And especially if you already have some amplifier bodies, it's no comparison value-wise.
Old 8th November 2012
Quote:
Full Schoeps pairs are going from $2000–$2800
Please let us know where you found that price. The cheapest pairs I have seen are around $3400
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a buyer's market now. Full Schoeps pairs are going from $2000–$2800; capsules are going for $400–$800. And especially if you already have some amplifier bodies, it's no comparison value-wise.
I've never gotten a dealer to budge. Are you armed?
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm talking used, not new, obviously. Surely I'm not the only one here who looks at these markets periodically.

And one is a lot less likely to find a DS60 on the used market!
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm talking used, not new, obviously. Surely I'm not the only one here who looks at these markets periodically.

And one is a lot less likely to find a DS60 on the used market!

As a matter of fact I did, on this board. The seller was a straight up fellow and a real gentleman. It was a clean deal and I think we were both satisfied with the deal. I am very happy with this mic.
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

You don't often see PML or Milab mics for sale second-hand, but when they do come up, they can be good value, maybe because the name is not as universally known as Neumann or AKG. I have one of the older PML stereo mics from the 70s which I bought pretty cheaply on eBay. I got to use it in anger for the first time last week as an overhead mic on a jazz drummer (in MS) and was very pleased with it: a nice balanced sound, punchy but not too bright, and the off-axis pickup is less nasty than on some large-diaphragm mics.
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

I only use Pearl instead of Milab because I feel it is a better sound and better design.

I trust Bernt Malmqvist's designs more than Milab. Especially his electronics are better.

Here I use the Pearl CC-22 cardioid mics.
4 or 5 across the front of a good chorus offers a mindblowed sound.
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I only use Pearl instead of Milab because I feel it is a better sound and better design.
But Decca uses Milab!

Just kidding. Thanks for the input, Good Sir—this is the kind of comparison I'm looking for.

More comparisons always welcome!

Also: does anyone have any experience with the Pearl ELM series which have rejection on the vertical plane? This could seem very useful for location work and the wacky acoustic situations we sometimes encounter. Also, do the other shorter rectangular capsules have any of this same vertical rejection characteristic?
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
But Decca uses Milab!

Just kidding. Thanks for the input, Good Sir—this is the kind of comparison I'm looking for.

More comparisons always welcome!

Also: does anyone have any experience with the Pearl ELM series which have rejection on the vertical plane? This could seem very useful for location work and the wacky acoustic situations we sometimes encounter. Also, do the other shorter rectangular capsules have any of this same vertical rejection characteristic?
Yes they all have it, just not as pronounced as the long ones.

I wonder if it's true that Pearl has better design and sound than Milab, or if it's just different - It's well known that they originally came from the same background.

If anyone can describe the difference, in detail, it would be interesting info..!?

::
Mads
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search