The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Another Golden Oldie -opinions on the Genex GX8000? Audio Interfaces
Old 24th November 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
I have Neil Young's Genex. It is for sale.
Old 24th November 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Not much more I can say, other then when it worked it was the best sounding machine I ever used.
Even the musicians were blown away by the 9048 sonics.


Oh, and the bottom pic, was a few months later, after I sent it back to Kevin Brown a few times...and he still didn't fix it.

So I took a pic with my 357 and told him the next pic would be of the machine with a big hole in it....
The Stephen St. Croix fix!
Old 25th November 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Roland's Avatar
I never owned a Genex, but considered buying one many years ago. Their reputation in an industry where there have been several disastrous pieces of gear issecond to none. If you buy one, irespective of how little you pay you deserve everything you get. Perhaps one of the worst audio companies ever. They produced one bad product and when people complained, they released others. Mark said it all, run for you life!
Old 12th December 2018
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
blueNan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I have Neil Young's Genex. It is for sale.
What Genex is that?
Old 12th December 2018
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
blueNan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I never owned a Genex, but considered buying one many years ago. Their reputation in an industry where there have been several disastrous pieces of gear issecond to none. If you buy one, irespective of how little you pay you deserve everything you get. Perhaps one of the worst audio companies ever. They produced one bad product and when people complained, they released others. Mark said it all, run for you life!

I don't deny what you say at all, definitely shame on them if they did that wrong.

But that said, I bought 16 Genex channels (input and output) for around 600e (!), and they utterly smoked my Apogees 16x and Motu AVB channels. They are awesome, after listening to them for a while, i switched back to apogees/motu and wanted to kill myself. The Genex were so much better. They remind me my BLA White Sparrow MKII's (which i consider very good, although i have not had the chance to compare to anything better).

So even if the Genex recording machines crapped out, and their business practices censurable to say the least... it is fair to say that the converters were damn good, and maybe they are a good solution for people with reduced resources (like me), assuming that they will probably need some maintance.

Of course if you get into trouble with anything Genex, you are on your own, as the company is long gone now. As an example of my own, one of the 2 units I bought, straight out of the box, struggled to boot up and needed a psu recap. I have the drives disconnected in both units for silent operation and I use them only as converters, connected via AES/EBU to my digital interface.

Last edited by blueNan; 12th December 2018 at 05:01 AM..
Old 12th December 2018
  #36
Gear Maniac
 
blueNan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
I have a question about this wonderful unit. The manual states that the Genex 8000 series has DSD inputs and outputs. Is it capable of recording in DSD, or only the 9000 series had that feature?
I think the 8500 are capable

Last edited by blueNan; 12th December 2018 at 01:35 PM..
Old 12th December 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNan View Post
What Genex is that?
I have a Genex GX-8000 for sale. PM me for a great deal.

Last edited by Plush; 24th December 2018 at 11:21 PM..
Old 12th December 2018
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
blueNan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I have a Genex GX-8500 for sale. PM me for a great deal.

pm
Old 14th December 2018
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Roland's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNan View Post
I don't deny what you say at all, definitely shame on them if they did that wrong.

But that said, I bought 16 Genex channels (input and output) for around 600e (!), and they utterly smoked my Apogees 16x and Motu AVB channels. They are awesome, after listening to them for a while, i switched back to apogees/motu and wanted to kill myself. The Genex were so much better. They remind me my BLA White Sparrow MKII's (which i consider very good, although i have not had the chance to compare to anything better).

So even if the Genex recording machines crapped out, and their business practices censurable to say the least... it is fair to say that the converters were damn good, and maybe they are a good solution for people with reduced resources (like me), assuming that they will probably need some maintance.

Of course if you get into trouble with anything Genex, you are on your own, as the company is long gone now. As an example of my own, one of the 2 units I bought, straight out of the box, struggled to boot up and needed a psu recap. I have the drives disconnected in both units for silent operation and I use them only as converters, connected via AES/EBU to my digital interface.
That the converters possibly sounded very good, I wouldn’t question, but that is a whole load different from producing a multitrack recorder that works and is reliable. I suspect that they were clever guys who didn’t have sufficient funding to realise their tech. As an aside, good AD/DA isn’t difficult to achieve in this day and age. There are many budget units that have wonderful performance due to advances in chip technology. I respectfully suggest that buying one just for the converters is pretty pointless, particularly with no back-up from the manufacturer, that being said, I don’t think that the difference in converter quality is going to be a game changer in terms of your end product to a customer. YMMV
Old 14th December 2018
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
My Neil Young Genex only for sale to USA customers.
Old 19th December 2018
  #41
The Genex converters sounded amazing.

My friend sent his out for service one day, and then didn't get it back. Turns out, Mr. Brown fixed it and sold it as new to someone else. He also took friend's money.

I believe Mr. Plush when he says Mr. Brown is now using an assumed identity.
Old 24th December 2018
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
blueNan's Avatar
Anyone else selling a GX8000 / 8500 with analog I/O? I want a third one to complete my desk - but I am in Europe, and Mr. Plush will sell it only inside the USA.
Old 24th December 2018
  #43
Gear Head
 

I'm running an GX-8000 and loving it. It is loud though. Has anyone unplugged the drive and fan without the heat damaging the components? I bought a MO disk just to try out, but the drive won't give it up though. It is fun to record for 20 minutes though sometimes. I am routing AES out to another recorder. To me, this sound, even though it is only 20 bits, smokes so many converters I have used over the years. I'm limited to 20 bit 44.1k, but my clients are happy, and so am I.

Good luck finding another unit BlueNan. I hope you can find one! I feel the struggle!
Old 24th December 2018
  #44
Gear Maniac
 
blueNan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanderbrook View Post
I'm running an GX-8000 and loving it. It is loud though. Has anyone unplugged the drive and fan without the heat damaging the components? I bought a MO disk just to try out, but the drive won't give it up though. It is fun to record for 20 minutes though sometimes. I am routing AES out to another recorder. To me, this sound, even though it is only 20 bits, smokes so many converters I have used over the years. I'm limited to 20 bit 44.1k, but my clients are happy, and so am I.

Good luck finding another unit BlueNan. I hope you can find one! I feel the struggle!
Thanks tvanderbrook! I love them too, hopefully one pops up before this thread makes them too expensive. For now i will mix them with a Metric Halo 2882.

You can safely disconnect the MO drive.

You can also disconnect the fan, but doing it you will get some extra heat in the psu - not huge diff, but it does get warmer. After testing this I decided to play safe and replace the original fan with a low noise one. Used a Noctua. With drive disconnected + silent fan, the noise is barely perceptible. Temperature at the psu side remains as it was before mod.

Also important: recap psu as soon as you have a chance. That guarantees healthy inner voltages, components operating within specs. If you like the sound and want to keep the Genex for long, it is the best thing you can do.

One of my units was faulty right out of the box so I had to do it. Will do the other unit soon by myself, as i got some soldering chops and gear since then....

I think sound is 24 bits in my GX8000s though? I had them clocked from a Black Lion mkII clock, but nowadays i use the Genex clocked from their own, i like it a little better.

Last edited by blueNan; 24th December 2018 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: precision
Old 24th December 2018
  #45
Gear Head
 

Thanks for the info! I will start looking tor a way to get the PSU recapped. That is great advice. I’m using the Noctua fan in a Fostex DV824, it helps a LOT.

The settings are set at 24 bit in my unit, but the bit reader in my DAW shows 20. Do you have a manual by any chance?
Old 24th December 2018
  #46
Gear Maniac
 
blueNan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanderbrook View Post
Thanks for the info! I will start looking tor a way to get the PSU recapped. That is great advice. I’m using the Noctua fan in a Fostex DV824, it helps a LOT.

The settings are set at 24 bit in my unit, but the bit reader in my DAW shows 20. Do you have a manual by any chance?
I think the only manual available is the GX8500 one, but the unit is almost the same. Anyone has the GX8000 in pdf?
Old 28th December 2018
  #47
Gear Head
 

There’s a unit for sale in LA with the manual. I offered to pay them for their time to make a copy of ir, but they refused.
Old 28th December 2018
  #48
Gear Head
 

I didn’t think it was worth $500 for the manual. Haha.
Old 31st December 2018
  #49
Lives for gear
 
jwh1192's Avatar
oh man, this is such a minefield !!!! i had to use, watch others use, and watch the units disappear and never return, all of the Above !!! avoid unless you can do component level work on THAT particular system ... !!! danger Will Robinson !! haha .. and yes, i have met and heard all the stories of kevin 1st hand from guys that worked in his shop and some special projects .. whew !!! getting a cold sweat just typing this !!
Old 1st January 2019
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Buy mine today. I need it out of here.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #51
Gear Head
 

Guys, meanwhile I saw a GXA8 for sale from a film house in LA and grabbed it. Meanwhile, my 8000 is getting the PS recapped and there is a silent fan en route. This sound makes me so happy to have access to.

Now if anyone knows where I can get another benchmark pre420.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #52
Gear Maniac
 
blueNan's Avatar
Good catch! Please report if the GXA8 sounds any different to the GX8000, i read somewhere they sound a little better but who knows. I wish i had a GXA8/GXD8 setup, they look slick compared to the GX8000 behemots.

Another thing I see myself doing on them at some point is to clean the front panel mini switches (where you select the input to each converter), as they are used a lot - and do not have a great response already.

Last week i calibrated their inputs / outputs to -18dBFu from my console with the tiny screws in the back of the unit (an it was painful, as i have them in a rack under my console), but everything is up and running now.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #53
Gear Head
 

I definitely will. I don't know exactly when its gonna happen, but eventually I will record music through it. Actually, it just occurred to me when that will be - at the end of February for sure. I did some non-music analog transfers the other evening, and I can tell you that my initial, non-scientific reaction is that it doesn't have as much of the 'sound' that the 8000 does, but everything sounded absolutely clean, clear and neutral with a soundstage that in my mind I refer to as 'analog' - or that's the sound/soundstage I would get when I was able to work in analog before the project would inevitably end up digital. Super clean, extreme detail available, but absolutely no edges; all the corners rounded off. The imaging is like listening to something panned on an analog mixer. I imagine that when I do get this between the mics and the recorder, that my impression will be that it sounds less 'soundy' than the 8000, and clearer. Really hard to put into words these abstract sonic textural impressions.

It's kind of messed up, because at one quality level, the mic pre is waay more important than the A/D converter, but then at a more discerning point, the A/D converter makes all the difference. What weird stuff we deal with in audio. Weakest link in the signal chain is a moving target!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNan View Post

Last week i calibrated their inputs / outputs to -18dBFu from my console with the tiny screws in the back of the unit (an it was painful, as i have them in a rack under my console), but everything is up and running now.
dBFu? Typo or did you invent a new unit?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #55
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
dBFu? Typo or did you invent a new unit?
We don't talk 'pottie mouth' in this polite corner of GS!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Buy my 8000 box. I got it from Neil Young.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #57
One or two quick comments.
We owned more Genex 9048s than anybody outside live nation.
1) the Genex power supplies are standard off the shelf switching power supplies. They can be purchased new for about $50 ea. I bought a bunch of them from one of the surplus outlets for $12 ea.
2) The converters were very good sounding for their day, but by modern standards, they are a bit long in the tooth. Heat is the biggest issue with any Genex recorder. The converters will only sound their best when they are kept cool.We modded all our machines with additional internal fans as well as a 4" exhaust fan over the converters. One of the big issues with the genex converters was DC offset. They dealt with it by removing it from the DA conversion, but for digital editing, you needed to be very careful.
We used these as converters only to feed our Pyramix systems over MADI long after we stopped using them as recorders. Every day with the Genex was an adventure. click the power button and lets see what we get...
All the best,
-mark
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
David Spearritt / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
2
centervolume / High end
0
rolo / So much gear, so little time
0
16942 / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump