The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Sound Devices MP-1 -> Sony PCM-D50
Old 3rd July 2009
Here for the gear

Question Sound Devices MP-1 -> Sony PCM-D50

Please direct me to other sources if this has already been discussed

I was thinking about purchasing the SD MP-1 preamp to connect to a Sony PCM-d50 via an XLR to 1/8" jack. I'm aware that the XLR-1/8" would be an unbalanced connection, but would this allow me to use 48V mic with it? Would this actually bypass the D50s preamps? Or am I better off just getting a cheaper 48V power source?
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoggy View Post
Please direct me to other sources if this has already been discussed

I was thinking about purchasing the SD MP-1 preamp to connect to a Sony PCM-d50 via an XLR to 1/8" jack. I'm aware that the XLR-1/8" would be an unbalanced connection, but would this allow me to use 48V mic with it? Would this actually bypass the D50s preamps? Or am I better off just getting a cheaper 48V power source?
it depends on what you are trying to do-

first- the MP1 is a one channel preamp- the Sony is 2 channels.
If you need a 2 channel preamp, I would suggest the SD Mixpre, or the Shure FP24- they are pretty much the same, and SOund Devices stuff is very good.
The Mixpre also has an unbalanced stereo 1/8" jack for its mix buss.

It also does 48v phantom and sounds very good.
Old 8th July 2009
Here for the gear

Great! Thanks for the reply. My experience with the MixPre have been great, though my only gripe is that for the price I might as well get a whole recorder with comparable quality(Like the Fostex FR2-LE) for the same price(vs. size, portability).

Does anyone have any speculation on how a MixPre would effect the noise level in higher bit/samplerate recordings? I've heard there isn't really a point of having rates like 24/96 in these kind of recorders, even with an external pre, for their lower frequency response(by using the 1/8" unbalanced line in) and higher levels of noise.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search