The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

audio-for-video, for beginners?
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Nut

Question audio-for-video, for beginners?

hi all, i've been freelancing as an audio engineer, (mostly live events, a/v type stuff) and i'm looking to get my feet wet doing audio for video.

specifically, i'd like to know where's a good place to get familiar with the type of equipment i'll need (boom, shotgun mic, lavs, mixer, field recorder) and what kind of learning resources there are online or in print.

thanks for your help!
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Outside of film and serious drama, it's a dwindling market. I have a friend that has done this for quite a few years and he gets about 20% of the amount of work that he used to. Often these days they send a cameraman out with a couple of lav kits and expect him to pin them on the talent. With TV budgets what they are I suspect there will be less and less or this work. If you are really serious about doing this work, I suspect you will need to go work full time for a company like the BBC or Channel 4 etc, freelance market is crap these days.

Regards

Roland
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Erich, there is a lot of info about this in the archives. Please read some stickies and do some searches!!Thanks-
Old 4th July 2009
Around this area the TV stations have given their reporters small HD DV cameras a light weight tripod and a wireless microphone setup. They not only report the news but do their own filming. One of the bigger stations went from 37 full time engineers to just 7. Even the people who do commercials are using less and less staff and the videographer is being told to do the lighting and in some cases the audio as well.

IMHO not a really good time to get into audio for video. But YMMV...

Lots of info on the WWW about this "profession" and what equipment you might need.
Old 5th July 2009
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
Erich, there is a lot of info about this in the archives. Please read some stickies and do some searches!!Thanks-
Yes, JvB's direction is valuable.

Also consider clicking on the...

"Popular Tags" that appear in each thread and at the top of this forum's main page.

...What?; I never knew or heard about that possibility.

Furthermore, there's an insane amount of information archived within this forum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search