The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Radar 24 Classic vs. Alesis HD24XR
Old 11th May 2010
  #121
Masterlinks and hd24

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwarrior View Post
My masterlink has been very reliable before and after the upgrade. No complaints here.
Dear Slutz
I've seen 4 Masterlinks die in 5 years.
My hd24 has been a champ.
Even the inboard a/d has been fine for me, it's sweeter clocking to Lavry a/d.
It FFreaks OOUT being near loud sources/vibrations.
Get it far from drums/bass rigs.
I've tried commando recordings, where I was in the middle of the band recording on my rig, the Alesis threw out error message after message, killing it's drive too.
Yes, the music was LOUD!!
The fan is noisey.
It's a bummer, because you really need to unit close to you to move quickly.
The remote is ironic.
Affordable solid ass piece!!!
Masterlink?
It needs therapy
ps, radar in my dreams now, reality this summer!
Frenchie
Old 14th July 2010
  #122
Radar 24 Classic vs. Alesis HD24XR

Update slutz
I'm now working with a Iz Radar 24, using it at 48k/24 bit.
I'm using the ad/da in it.
No external clock.
The radar punishes the Alesishd24 in a cruel way.
The Radar is great sounding.
Frenchie
Old 31st July 2010
  #123
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie Smith View Post
Update slutz
I'm now working with a Iz Radar 24, using it at 48k/24 bit.
I'm using the ad/da in it.
No external clock.
The radar punishes the Alesishd24 in a cruel way.
The Radar is great sounding.
Frenchie
have you had a chance to listen to the side by side?

i love my radar.
Old 1st August 2010
  #124
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post

i love my radar.
ahem...

heh
Old 1st August 2010
  #125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie Smith View Post
Update slutz
I'm now working with a Iz Radar 24, using it at 48k/24 bit.
I'm using the ad/da in it.
No external clock.
The radar punishes the Alesishd24 in a cruel way.
The Radar is great sounding.
Frenchie
What console are you using with it?
Old 1st August 2010
  #126
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
ahem...

heh
thanks zak.
: )
your old radar 24 is purring away and my old radar 2 is already sold.

do you know anybody who wants an IZ UFC 24???

i have used HD 24's a bit and always thought they sounded pretty good.
i have never heard a RADAR and an HD 24 side by side but i am very interested in what the differences would be. something tells me that the RADAR might sound a little better, but i have to say, the stuff i have heard on HD 24's sounded quite good. they seem like good machines.
still, something about the way stuff sounds off the RADAR still keeps me working on it or at least through it for AD/DA.

my analogy is that the HD 24 is like a toyota camry and the RADAR more like a BMW. both are fine man made machines, but one is just a bit nicer and much more expensive.
Old 2nd August 2010
  #127
Radar 24 Classic vs. Alesis HD24XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental

have you had a chance to listen to the side by side?

i love my radar.
Hi SkyBlue
My point of view is in an aural sense.
The HD 24 served me well.
It capuled vocals great, and Guitar.
However, drums and Bass felt distant.
My consoles are just used as line returns.
(neve 8816 and Neotek Elan)
My input chain is usually BAE 1084.

I agree the HD 24 is similar to a Camry, and Radar is more boutique, a BMW, that's great!'

The way Radar sounds is super.
It kinda wows me.
The work flow is more in tune with my music.
Cutting basics to Radar and bouncing to analogue back to Radar is blowing my mind.
The export to PT is quick!!!

With the HD 24, I didn't want to explore another a/d stage.

When legends like Mike Chapman use Radar, I knew it was the right choice for me.
Frenchie
Old 3rd August 2010
  #128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie Smith View Post
Hi SkyBlue
My point of view is in an aural sense.
The HD 24 served me well.
It capuled vocals great, and Guitar.
However, drums and Bass felt distant.
My consoles are just used as line returns.
(neve 8816 and Neotek Elan)
My input chain is usually BAE 1084.

I agree the HD 24 is similar to a Camry, and Radar is more boutique, a BMW, that's great!'

The way Radar sounds is super.
It kinda wows me.
The work flow is more in tune with my music.
Cutting basics to Radar and bouncing to analogue back to Radar is blowing my mind.
The export to PT is quick!!!

With the HD 24, I didn't want to explore another a/d stage.

When legends like Mike Chapman use Radar, I knew it was the right choice for me.
Frenchie
congrats Frenchie. don't know Mike Chapman, but if you like it that's
good enough for me.

marty.
Old 3rd August 2010
  #129
LX3
Lives for gear
 
LX3's Avatar
 

Hope no-one's trying to compare the standard HD24 with a Radar. I don't think the standard HD24 bears comparison with anything... it's not good IMO.

(Okay it's better than my old Fostex 8-track... And you could certainly make a great record on it. But it's not the best sounding digital multitrack ever made.)

The HD24XR on the other hand is a whole different ball-game. We've done a bunch of stellar-sounding live releases on the XR. And while I've never been in a position to AB it with a Radar, I've A-B'd it with other recorders, some four times the price of the Alesis... and the Alesis was better. In fact, the XR at 48kHz was clearly preferred over the 4x more expensive hardware recorder running at 96kHz.

I'd summarise thus:

If you're on a budget and you can survive with some of the limitations, the XR rocks. It's blissfully easy to use too.

If you have $10,000 to spend, and need timecode and/or the kudos that comes with the Radar, get a Radar.
Old 15th August 2010
  #130
Radar 24 Classic vs. Alesis HD24XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty lester

congrats Frenchie. don't know Mike Chapman, but if you like it that's
good enough for me.

marty.
Mo,
Nice to visit with you.
You are a class act in life and music.
If u want to hear me Radar, I'm in session this week!!
Frenchie
Old 15th August 2010
  #131
Gear Maniac
 
noamraz's Avatar
 

The only major downside of the hd24 is the IDE caddys - IDE drives are hard to get nowdays..

IMO
Old 15th August 2010
  #132
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie Smith View Post
Hi SkyBlue
My point of view is in an aural sense.
The HD 24 served me well.
It capuled vocals great, and Guitar.
However, drums and Bass felt distant.
My consoles are just used as line returns.
(neve 8816 and Neotek Elan)
My input chain is usually BAE 1084.

I agree the HD 24 is similar to a Camry, and Radar is more boutique, a BMW, that's great!'

The way Radar sounds is super.
It kinda wows me.
The work flow is more in tune with my music.
Cutting basics to Radar and bouncing to analogue back to Radar is blowing my mind.
The export to PT is quick!!!

With the HD 24, I didn't want to explore another a/d stage.

When legends like Mike Chapman use Radar, I knew it was the right choice for me.
Frenchie
frenchie,
there is no question that the RADAR sounds amazing.
interesting to hear your conclusions about the differences in sound between it and the HD24. it seems like drums and bass are always the thing that separates the good from the great. its the same way with tape vs digital. the drums and bass are the things that always sound better off tape.

if i have a bunch of really good players performing live i will cut basics to the RADAR and dump to pro tools also. much of the time i am just using the RADAR as AD/DA though.

nice to have you on the forums. i see you have worked on some nice sounding records.
well done.
Old 15th August 2010
  #133
Gear Nut
 

Whether to select a nice sounding reliable pro piece of gear (backed with support) or going with low cost MI stuff? Was there a question?
Old 15th August 2010
  #134
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
We use low cost MI stuff (which happens to sound nice) and get great results.

IMO, there is no right or wrong here.
For many it's about the amount of machines they may want to own and their budget to make that so...

It's all good, as long as your strategies are in place.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique View Post
Whether to select a nice sounding reliable pro piece of gear (backed with support) or going with low cost MI stuff? Was there a question?
Old 21st August 2010
  #135
Lives for gear
 
idylldon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamraz View Post
The only major downside of the hd24 is the IDE caddys - IDE drives are hard to get nowdays..

IMO
Not anymore.

Magic Sound SATA24

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 21st August 2010
  #136
LX3
Lives for gear
 
LX3's Avatar
 

Ooh-hoo, if those caddies will work with an SATA SSD, I might just pull my HD24XRs off the "For Sale" forum and put them back into service.

I sometimes miss the ease of use of the HD24. And from time to time the ADAT interfacing is really handy. And they do sound fantastic.

BTW, if anyone's desperate for IDE drives (in the UK I guess), I have a number of Seagates going.
Old 25th August 2010
  #137
Gear Maniac
 
noamraz's Avatar
 

True thumbsup

It's the time to get these SSD going, It's been out for a while and would be perfect for us who work outdoors..

If any1 has any experience with these sata caddys with standard or SSD drives, Please let us know.
Old 1st September 2010
  #138
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noamraz View Post
True thumbsup

It's the time to get these SSD going, It's been out for a while and would be perfect for us who work outdoors..

If any1 has any experience with these sata caddys with standard or SSD drives, Please let us know.
I asked the same question in a couple of threads around here..
Hopefully somebody from the hd24 yahoo group (or somebody else who tested it) will chime in..

Bests,

Cheu
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump