The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's a good cheap lavalier mic?
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Question What's a good cheap lavalier mic?

I don't know squat about lavalier mics. What's a good one for minimal dinero?

To be used recording 2 people talking in a small room.

I was actually thinking a PZM or boundary mic sitting on the desk would work well for this, but they've specified lavaliers.

Any thoughts appreciated!

thanks!

Mike
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

What's a good cheap lavalier mic?
I don't know if that combination actually excists... good luck.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks so much for your helpful opinion.

Anyone have anything constructive to contribute?
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Nut

I have lots of expereance with lavs. If you want good then I would recommend my personal favorite DPA. If you want cheap I would go for a Sony ECM44. If you want something in the middle I would get a Sonotrim/TRAM or Sanken. They all sound different for different applications. It's just like any other mic; there isn't one that's good for everything. Some are more sibilant than others for punching through clothing if it needs to be hidden. Several have different grids to alter the frequency response. How much can you spend?

A Schoeps on a boom will always sound better regardless of what they specify. For two person interviews I typically use two booms on stands with Schoeps CMC641s. Who is the sound guy; you or the producer?
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

They're to be used in a clinical setting in a very small room. There's a couch and a chair in there where the client and interviewer sit.

There's a two way mirror on one wall and an observation room on the other side where an assistant will be recording audio and video.

I'd considered using a couple of PZM's on a table or something like that. Now they're requesting lavaliers, which I know absoluitely nothing about! heh
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Nut

You're in Austin so call:

Wayne Bell
512-288-8322 O
512-750-8704 C
512-288-3284 F

or

Steve Osmon
512-732-0166 O
713-898-5693 C
512-732-0167 F

They can probably rent you a couple of lavs for the day.
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey! thanks for the pointer, but these are gonna be part of a permanent install. We're doing one room first and then there's about 8 more of them. UT Austin, Clinical Psychology.

I'm one of their IT staff, and since I have a home studio, I got picked as the "AV guy!" LOL! I guess that's kinda like being "Film Boy" back in Jr. High, right?

Needless to say, I get some weird requests that have nothing to do with getting a good kick drum sound!

Mike heh
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psytechguy
...Now they're requesting lavaliers, which I know absoluitely nothing about! heh
There' not much difference with any other mic, You just have to look for the best placement..usually think/look, where is that the speaker is going to be directing his/her speech to most of the time; get the best lavs you can pay for, in case they offer a different choice...go with Omni pattern; very important is going to be ..How are you going to send the signal from the Lav to your mixer...since they usually hang from the Speaker person, you want the most freedom... wireless systems are the most confortable for everyone...but again...this is a different budget and can get to be really expensive!!
You'll almost always have to deal with phase issues at the Mix, for both mics pick each other's communicator, and both are in constant close movement...just mute one or the other and you'll be fine.
As boomed mention...If you can Mic them with directional shotguns...may be better... but not necessarily.
PS: TRAMs are good. The sennheiser are also good and not that expensive.
Good Luck...........Joaquin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search