The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

Mic Stands, Sight-lines, and Video during classical music recitals
Old 6th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
How many years was Boston Pops on PBS, going back to when Arthur Fiedler was conductor? They managed.
But you could always see the microphones it just did not matter to most people.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
But you could always see the microphones it just did not matter to most people.
Precisely my point
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoteque View Post
I think most sound guys forget that in a wide shot you get to see nearly everything. But I would never complain if I can see some microphones in my wide shot, as long as they are not in front of a face or something. Then videocameras/musicians can be moved too, that's why there are sound/video checks to be done before!
In a wide shot, there's a lot of music stands to be seen too, and maybe even the lamps clamped to the music stands. If you use small mics and slender stands, it should not be a problem - and if they have budget for real pro video crew, they should have budget to hire a few Schoeps RC1200 too.

OTOH I've had clients say that it looks more professional if there are a few clearly visible stands...
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Without mics there's no sound and then no music...

The point is that the audio and video crews must collaborate to follow someone's "artistic vision".

Living in Italy, a country full of classic musicians and old castles/churches, I have thought about the idea of making videos of barroque music played in barroque buildings, with barroque instruments and musicians dressed in barroque clothes. In that situation, would you accept a "barroque" microphone on the picture???
Old 10th July 2009
I have done TV sound and film sound. I you don't want to see microphones then the sound is always a compromise. Look at the PBS series the Three Tenors there are microphones visible in all the shots. Does anyone care? Look at the Boston Pops series there are microphones viable in the orchestra. Does anyone care? People are more sophisticated now and understand that for the most part there have to be microphones if they are to hear the performers. If you are watching a drama then you don't want to see microphones as it would interfere with the believability of what you are watching.

Since we do both audio and video recording of classical concerts we have figured out ways around the microphone problems and if, for some reason. we are working with an outside company we do all the shot planning in advance. I have seen a heard some really bad videos of classical concerts where the ONLY sound is from the on camera shotgun and it stinks. The whole reason for doing a video and audio recording of a classical concert IMHO is to capture the sound of the artist or ensemble and it does not make much sense to get a really good video with crappy sound.

People who say it is the videographers fault or the audio engineers fault are simply not understanding the problem. It should be a combined effort to get the concert on tape both audio and video and the two parties should work together and not look for who to blame when it does not work out.

Good topic but it is getting rather thin....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search