The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recovering HD24 files
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Exclamation Recovering HD24 files

I use my HD24 as a backup machine and only rarely need to pull data via FST connect. I also was using 200GB drive in it which meant that alot of projects piled up-- too many, in fact.

I had recorded a concert which indeed had data that I needed, but due to that concert being in the midst of a very busy festival I forgot I had not pulled those files into my DAW.

I remembered pretty vividly when I later opened the project to mix and discovered that it was not all there, and I had just reformatted that drive. DUH!!

I got in touch with a guy named Eddie Rivas who was able to pull all of the files that were not overwritten (95%) onto another drive. In other words, he saved my bacon!

I learned several things from this adventure:

1- Use drives that are no more than 40GB in size-- this accommodates 150 minutes of 24 tracks of 24/96. If I had done this (rather than the 200GB drive I had in there) I would have been forced to keep up with the data management and transfer what was needed immediately rather than procrastinating and forgetting to retrieve needed files. Because the project I needed was recorded at 24/48, it meant that each of the 16 tracks was 24 hours long! FST format is a linear format on the HD. This was a nightmare for Eddie to wade through, but he did it!

2- Never format the drive unless POSITIVE that the data is not needed. This is obviously related to avoiding stupid mistakes, but I may never completely eliminate that problem!

3- If I ever do this again, I know who to contact! Eddie Rivas' email is "bro_silas at yahoo dot com"

His data recovery fees are VERY reasonable, especially when compared to the guys in the clean-suits. He is very knowledgeable about the FST file format.

This mess had a happy ending thanks to Eddie!

Rich
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Great advice, thanks Rich!
Old 31st August 2005
Gear Maniac

HD24

Hey Rich,

I lost some files right after I got my 1st hd24, I tried to find someone that could retreive my data.....to no avail. Would you give me this guy's numbers and what he charged just in case that ever happened again.

I got so paranoid that I wouldn't even delete a song opened up in a file that was never used.

Kirk
Old 11th July 2006
Here for the gear

Here's a hint: google for hd24tools. Good luck.
Old 12th July 2006
Gear Maniac

And another hint: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24

If you use an HD24, you need to be a member of the HD24 group. Critical mass of HD24 knowledge is what you'll find there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search