The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: ,

Keilberth or Solti Ring Cyle?
Old 14th June 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Teddy Ray's Avatar
 

Talking Keilberth or Solti Ring Cyle?

I had thought that the Solti cycle was the first documented/recorded one, but I guess I was wrong?

was the Keilberth the first? How is it?

Man, I need to get with it..I am out of touch. APparently folks have known this for 5 years or better.
Old 16th June 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Teddy Ray's Avatar
 

noone knows, I reckon?

thats alright, i'll keep googling.
Old 16th June 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
hollywood_steve's Avatar
 

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the Decca / Solti 'Ring Cycle' (recorded between around 1958 and 1965) was the first recording of the entire collection of Wagner's series of related operas?
Old 17th June 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Howie J's Avatar
I'm guessing it's a recording of the complete cycle done within a day or two. It only takes....what?....12 hours??

Howie J
Old 18th June 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Omicron_9's Avatar
 

Hey Teddy Ray,

IIRC, Keilberth did precede Solti by a few years (Keilberth early to mid '50s; Solti late '50s - early '60s). However, I believe Keilberth's was a live recording, whereas Solti's was the first complete *studio* recording. In fact, and again I could be mistaken, but I believe the very first complete cycle was recorded in 1950 by Furtwangler; live recording.

I could be wrong about Furtwangler and Keilberth, but I'm 99% positive that Solti was the first complete studio recording. There is an interesting DVD of the recording process called "The Golden Ring," or something like that. Very interesting documentary of the recording process. Even many years later, Solti's recording still sounds pretty damn good.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-0.9
Old 18th June 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Teddy Ray's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_steve View Post
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the Decca / Solti 'Ring Cycle' (recorded between around 1958 and 1965) was the first recording of the entire collection of Wagner's series of related operas?

Yes.
Old 18th June 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Teddy Ray's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron_9 View Post
Hey Teddy Ray,

IIRC, Keilberth did precede Solti by a few years (Keilberth early to mid '50s; Solti late '50s - early '60s). However, I believe Keilberth's was a live recording, whereas Solti's was the first complete *studio* recording. In fact, and again I could be mistaken, but I believe the very first complete cycle was recorded in 1950 by Furtwangler; live recording.

I could be wrong about Furtwangler and Keilberth, but I'm 99% positive that Solti was the first complete studio recording. There is an interesting DVD of the recording process called "The Golden Ring," or something like that. Very interesting documentary of the recording process. Even many years later, Solti's recording still sounds pretty damn good.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-0.9
hey buddy! great to hear from you

Cool , thank you. I was just curious what the first recorded cycle was.

The Solti sure is good, and yes, the movie is amazing.


-future Hunding hopeful
Old 19th June 2009
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
Haigbabe's Avatar
 

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie J View Post
I'm guessing it's a recording of the complete cycle done within a day or two. It only takes....what?....12 hours??

Howie J
Having played (and recorded) about eight complete performances/cycles (over two seasons) of the "Ring", I can only say that it's not over in 12 hours heh
Old 19th June 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
The fame of the Culshaw/Solti "Ring" comes from the fact that it is not a straight ahead studio recording , but rather a semi staged recreation done specifically for LP release. Culshaw wrote about the special effects, exaggerated movement from left to right and the creative use of multiple acoustics (different and separate rooms linked by video) at the same time. His book is called, Ring Resounding.

Even more amaZing for this complex production is that it was all recorded to two track.
"The Golden Ring" documentary shows the engineers cutting the master tape to make edits and soldering the main mic lines into the console instead of using any connectors.

Solti called the engineers and the producer the "high priests of perfection."
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump