The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: ,

Tips for mixing Jazz
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Not sure. I'll have to ask the artist first, and then find somewhere to host the file! What's the easiest way to do that?

A
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges
. . . but I'm just happy that somebody finally started messing with stuff in the jazz ilk.
Let's hope it doesn't catch on. They wanted a "rock" sounding album, and from what I've heard, that's exactly the recording approach they took (mics, mixing, compression, etc.). And it does fit the music, in a way. But I still think that the music would be MUCH more interesting - and less fatiguing - if the recording approach had been less extreme.

Minor compression = more musical in my book... even for "rock."
Old 14th August 2005
chikkenguy
off topic here, but i have been trying to get more into jazz lately. i would love to get some opinions on what i should check out as far as good sounding recordings go. amazing drumming is also a big plus.

thanks in advance.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkenguy
off topic here, but i have been trying to get more into jazz lately. i would love to get some opinions on what i should check out as far as good sounding recordings go. amazing drumming is also a big plus.
Dave Douglas, The Infinite, Joe Ferla-eng, Nasheet Waits-drums (or is it Clarence Penn?)
This is a great recording, even though the trumpet distorts a few times (perhaps he was using a ribbon?).

Many of the Keith Jarrett recordings (ECM) sound good.
Old 7th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkenguy

thanks in advance.
Keith Jarrett/My Song
Pat Metheny/80-81
John Scofield/Meant To Be

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search