The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
all good things must come to an end.... and freebies for somebody!
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Unhappy all good things must come to an end.... and freebies for somebody!

I'm out of time, the new landlord wants me out next Thursday, but has offered to let me take up until Sunday, 13AUG to vacate my space. I was going to start packing up today, but just couldn't bring myself to start tearing down something that I was still building only a few months ago. (one of the downsides to part time studio work is that everything takes longer; I spent over one year fixing up a 130SF space! and then only had six months after it was complete to enjoy having everything working exactly as I wanted it.

So I spent today going through the hundreds of CDs that just accumulate in this biz. I filled a large trash bucket with demo CDs from bands that I don't know; product demo CDs for products I don't use, CD catalogs from stores that must send out tens of millions of CDs every six months, and countless other CDs that had accumulated in the past 20 months. The CD storage tower finally got labelled so I know what I have and where it is.

I'm gonna call it for today. Tomorrow I'll hit the three bookcases; the notebooks filled with product manuals, project info, etc. will all get boxed up and sent to storage with everything else. But the 12 or so linear feet of shelf space filled to bursting with recording magazines will not be saved (other than maybe 100 very old or otherwise important issues). The other thousand or so issues worked very well as acoustic treatment, but ain't worth moving into storage, paying to store and then moving to a new room someday. So I've got at least a full carload of old Mix, AES Journal, Pro Audio Review and all of the other mags and they are free to any GS member who will pick them up - THIS WEEKEND.

possible uses: bass trapping, fly swatting, laughing at the ridiculous ads from only a few years ago, or maybe finding some useful info in amongst all of the Sweetwater and DBX ads.

don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity, centrally located in scenic Burbank, CA

[email protected]

PS, not sure about my future plans. I have one big job that is up in the air right now, but I haven't been chasing work since I got the news a month ago about my space. I am doing a lot more bass playing recently, so maybe I'll return next time as a client instead of a studio. thanks for everything!
Old 6th August 2005
Super Moderator

I'm very sorry to hear this news my GS friend.

You were doing just fine before the new space...
Why not keep that trip going?
Please don't give up -- not just yet.

I been travelling to LA for these "music online" video shoots.
I'll call you the next time I'm in town. Maybe I can throw you some work.

Hang in there, something will give.
As they say, "It's darkest before dawn!"
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I had a similar thing happen and that's when I discovered the beauty of storage space. I ended up storing my stuff in the valley where square footage is cheaper; nice to not have all that stuff in my space.

Good luck with the move/search.

...and what about all those CD's that are probably filling up landfill; that won't biodegrade. AOL alone must be responsible for zillions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search