The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Mic Suggestions: I need a good stereo pair for around $500
Old 28th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Question Mic Suggestions: I need a good stereo pair for around $500

Hey everyone I've done a search and can't really come up with what I'm looking for. I need a good stereo pair of mic's for around $500 - multi-pattern would be GREAT but not a necessity but this is my first stereo pair so I am looking to maximize my dollar. I was considering the Perception 420's but then read some helpful reviews. I also am considering the Fathead II Live in a blumlein pair but not sure how this would work for live location stuff (rock includeded) room mic's. I dont have much wiggle room on the budget and could do like $550 at most. MAYBE $600. Anything anyone could share would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am kind of on a tight deadline as the show is Friday. Thanks so much!

P.S. If I could get two pairs it would be cool - to do a center x/y pair (or blumlein, M/S, etc) plus omni outriggers/ back of hall xy, etc. Thanks!
Old 28th April 2009
Lives for gear

try a used pair of akg c391b's, or AT4041s. the avantone ck1's and the busman BSC1's are also pretty good choices in that price range. if you shop carefully, you may be able to find a used pair of AT4051s or AKG C460b/ck61's for around that price, both of which are good step up from the budget category. take a look at the taperssection.com website - tons of people there doing what you are describing, lots of helpful gear info, and a very active "yard sale" forum for used gear.
Old 28th April 2009
Gear Maniac

thanks for all of those- those are great suggestions. The used gig is a bit hard given the fact that I need these by Friday and the 'bay isn't yielding very helpful results. Any thoughts on multi-pattern or LDC's and the fatheads? Thanks again for all of the info!
Old 28th April 2009
Gear Maniac

anyone? I am seriously considering the Fathead II Live blumlein pair BUT am concerned about limiting myself with them - cant decide if a pair of LDC multipatterns would be better. Help please - on a tight deadline!
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

i have owned a pair of fathead II's (along with royer r-121s, coles 4038s, and shinybox 46's), and i would not recommend those for your application. for multipattern LDCs, my best suggestion is AT4050s, but sort of out of your price range. for a bit less, some folks like the ADK hamburg or vienna (one is tweaked for vocals, one for instruments). take a look at what SE and avantone offer in LDCs. another idea would be the Kel mics - they are prettyt solid and affordable.
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

How about a pair of Oktava SDC's, the AKG's suggested above, or a pair of Rode nt-55.

AT-4050 would be great if you can afford a pair.

in the same vein but cheaper I would recommend ADK TL (multipattern) and SL (fixed cardioid) mics. They are built very solid, and sound clean and not harsh.

Never used the KEL mics but they are supposed to be good.

Basically you don't need the best mics ever, but you do need something that is appropriate to use as a main pair in a wide range of rooms/situations. This, the Fathead pair is not.

Keep in mind that your budget will have to include a stereo bar and shockmounts.
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

I definitely feel the pull for the "cool" factor towards the fatheads but when I spoke with Michael, he assured me that the fathead II Live pair would be "sufficient"... i told him I'd think about it. I feel a little behind the gun here given the short timeline which is all my fault. I feel that the budget is holding me back a bit but know there are good mic's to be had. The multipattern is definitely almost a must have given the variety of gigs that i do. Although the Avantone CK-1's are tempting. And even then - shipping factors into all of this as well. Any more suggestions?

P.S. I cant find a multipattern mic on the Kel website- did I miss something?
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Addict

Why don't you rent some for this show to take the pressure off - and you get to try out a pair before you buy?

Just thinking...
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

the thought crossed my mind. trying to think "professional investment" though. Also barring modifying the quote I put in for the gear I rented already (and getting a new check cut), It would be hard to throw on a few mics.

Anyone want to get rid of a pair of 414's for say.... $600?! haha.

Any more comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks for all the info btw! I fear i've opened a can of worms on myself!
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana5253 View Post
the thought crossed my mind. trying to think "professional investment" though. Also barring modifying the quote I put in for the gear I rented already (and getting a new check cut), It would be hard to throw on a few mics.

Anyone want to get rid of a pair of 414's for say.... $600?! haha.

Any more comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks for all the info btw! I fear i've opened a can of worms on myself!
I appreciate you don't want to waste your money renting.. but is rushing in to a "professional investment" ever a good idea...
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Also, I suppose im curious as to why the Fatheads arent what I'm looking for - simply because they are too warm? Too fragile? I'll clarify- these arent the only set of mic's I will buy- just the set I am looking to buy currently/ to be able to use for location stuff.
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Sort of like having a 70's DeVille as your only car, it will get you places in style but sometimes you might wish you got a Camry or Accord instead. You said it's not your only mic but if you are micing in stereo and its your only pair, then it is basically your only choice.

In sonic terms ribbons have a characteristic sound that might be boomy or muddy sometimes, and might not give you enough top end. A better starting place for a first stereo pair, is a clean pair of cardioid mics. More versatile and probably closer to what you are hearing in the room. If you have never used a pair in ORTF, xy, ab, etc. then you can get a lot of mileage and learning experience from one decent pair of cardioids (without even going multipattern!)

For $600 the rode nt-55 is a really good deal in new mics. jnorman had a bunch of good suggestions as well. But who knows, if you think the Fatheads are what you want maybe you're right.
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

well put! I do love a good classic car though! .... *returns thread* anyway, I suppose I have my whole career to buy mics but im just trying to find the right blend of functionality and versatility (ie. being able to do M/S etc.) I suppose getting a pair of SDC's and one multi pattern LDC would also be an option? (could do M/S or a sort of spaced LCR kind of thing?) thoughts? Also - i am really interested in the ck-1's but dont see them offered as a stereo pair. As well as the SE4's - a bit out of my range though.
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana5253 View Post
Also, I suppose im curious as to why the Fatheads arent what I'm looking for - simply because they are too warm? Too fragile? I'll clarify- these arent the only set of mic's I will buy- just the set I am looking to buy currently/ to be able to use for location stuff.
That fatheads will not be that great in a live recording (like a wind band, orchestra, or other group with a lot of highs) unless supplemented with another mic(s) that covers the high frequencies better.

The fatheads will do an excellent job picking up the lows and mids with clarity and it will sound warm. However - to do that you will need a powerful (>60 db) and CLEAN preamp, like the AEA TRP. Taking short cuts and using something like the Rode D-plugs to get the gain up won't work unless you love a super high noise floor. Also - Although I haven't done anything terribly stressful to my fatheads, I haven't babied them either. Ribbons are holding up just fine.

-Tom
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

They are definitely going on my next purchase list but for this show / the stuff im doing currently they sound a little too specialized. I guess I'm leaning towards the se4's or the ck1's although it makes me nervous about the avantones considering they arent matched. Anyone have suggestions about mic placement/ mic types for doing a stereo / 4 mic recording of a rock concert (will supplement board mix / spot mics run into board - out to interface)
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Depends greatly on the room and band. Check recent threads, there has been a good amount of discussion on this.
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

still hunting- any other weigh-in's on this?
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Shure KSM 141. I know of a place you can grab 'em new for a good price. I'll PM you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search