The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Tips for Very Quiet Acoustic Guitar
Old 29th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
have you tried pumping up the volume with something like sony inflator?
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Well Dach, it looks like we have a disagreement on music editing.....true you should eliminate any noise before recording, as much as possible, but to not use any noise reduction is baloney. It can be used to clean up a recording successfully if it is used properly. The same goes with inserting silence. Your milage will vary on YOUR editing skills and efforts. If it's not done properly, yes it can sound very unatural, but it also can eliminate those pesky sounds that crop up from time to time, and is a wonderful tool for some cases.....just like noise gates and limiters, they must be used properly.
djwayne, Yes we disagree. Editing does not replace recording and playing chops as your clip demonstrates. Minute amounts of broadband noise are better served by using things other than NR. Use you ears and listen for more than just the melody. Use NR when you've done all you can with the other stuff and need more or you're in salvage mode and don't have the proper tools. Some here including myself have been working with NR quite a while.

BTW, here's another tip:

TUNE your guitar before applying Noise Reduction. Please don't tell us you didn't notice....
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yes I noticed and re-recorded the same piece, but uploaded the wrong file....my mistake....I'll take it down.....

Sorry, but I can't afford to build an anechoic chamber at this time.

I'm sure you have plenty of experience, but no personality. Good luck in your endeavors.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

If anybody here thinks I invented Noise Reduction, well, you're wrong...Dolby's been working on that in audio for decades now. Adding silence ?? Isn't that what leader tape was used for in the old analog tape days....it's nothing new. These are editing tools we have, similar to gates , compressors, reverbs, delays, just more audio tool to help the user make good sounding recordings.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
If anybody here thinks I invented Noise Reduction, well, you're wrong...Dolby's been working on that in audio for decades now.
Someone more knowledgable than I could answer this better but didn't the Dolby NR boxes you are referring to operate on the principle I was talking about?

EXPANSION?

Expansion whether full spectrum or in bands is completely different from stripping out audio throughout the entire file like is the case with broadband NR plugins.

Silence is a great thing to have... just not between the notes of a "noisey" track. Audible changes in ambiance/room tone no matter how subtle are distracting within the same piece.

OK. So I've ticked you off. I am sorry. Actually I spent time writing that long sarcastic post pretty much for YOUR benefit. Take the advice or leave it. I think the point of this forum is to share ideas and learn from people who actually do this stuff. I learn some cool stuff here as well. If I post something here that I don't have a clue about, I'm sure I'll get a verbal spanking... and some of these guys are true wordsmiths...
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

The situation is such, the original poster is looking for tips on how to make better sounding and quiet recordings on acoustic guitar. Noise Reduction and Inserting Silence, is just two of his many options. My post was for his benefit and the benefit of any one else reading the thread, not mine.

I don't get paid ten cents to post here, and don't appreciate insults thrown at me for making suggestions and contributions to the forum. I don't need nasty attitude over something silly like noise reduction.

I don't know what your problem is, but it's just noise reduction techniques, used by studio's, tv, and radio stations, commercial productions houses everywhere. I've had good luck using it. It certainly can help a noisy recording sound more professional, in many cases.

Maybe if you took the time to watch Roger McGuinn's dvd while he uses it, you'd see that Inserting Silence, really does clean up a track in very little time, once you know how to do it.

Making a quality recording has many steps in the process, editing, is just one of them.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

Wow.

Two fights in one thread over recording acoustic guitar.

Are we GearSlutz passionate about our work or what?

Jonk and I shook hands and made up.

C'mon dach and djwayne, let's all play nice.

My apologies in advance if I've misconstrued anything here.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I am playing nice.

Maybe I didn't describe Roger's method good enough. I'll try again....On his dvd on Home Computer Recording....he does a multi-track session using Cool Edit Pro. He records a guitar track, then a vocal track, then an over-dubbed vocal track for more depth, a vocal harmony track, and another guitar track. On the harmony track, he only sings during the chorus and the rest of the track is blank, except for some room noise. So what he did was, He highlighted the blank parts where he wasn't singing and used a feature called "Insert Silence", which took away all the room noise, and really made the the whole recording sound much better. He also did this on a few other tracks, and the raw recording began to take shape and started to sound like an actual finished record.

He just set up very basically in front of his computer and was picking up a little fan noise. Editing it out did the trick. He also stated that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, had recorded one of their cd's in a garage. They also had some noise such as dogs barking and jet planes flying on their recording that they edited out, and got a nice finished product.

Once you get used to using the "Insert Silence" tool, you'll find it's very handy.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Here'a a fairly quiet sample I recorded tonight in my living room, with NO noise reduction applied, just a little eq.

Enjoy !!

Maybe we can play "Name That Tune" ??
Old 30th July 2005
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeunit
Any tips for recording acoustic guitar that is VERY quiet and delicate and going to stand on its own? I'm getting a great sound but more NOISE than I would like.
The best thing I've found so far is to tell the guitar player "Try to play like you're not just playing to yourself. Play like you're on a stage and about 10 people need to hear you. The recording will turn out alot better."

This always works. thumbsup
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeunit
Any tips for recording acoustic guitar that is VERY quiet and delicate and going to stand on its own? I'm getting a great sound but more NOISE than I would like.
A VERY quiet room and a VERY delicate performance.

PUPO

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search