The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

I have no talent for politics...
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

This is an interesting thread.

Outside of those like Steve and Huub, and others that are already working with top level acts, I would hazzard at a guess that probably 10% or more of those that post here are perfectly capable of working with top level artists, just not necessarily, in the right area's or the right situations to land those clients.

Two points I would make, firstly, even those engineers that aren't that special that have good client lists tend to all have pretty good inter-personnel skills, few engineers working at the highest levels can get by without them.

Secondly, I know a few engineers who's names get bandied around these forums who are not all that, however, have made careers based on having worked with the right artists on the right projects at the right time.

Of course there are others that are extremely talented and have gradually built their reputation, moving up over the years.

It's not unlike music itself, we all know artists that have had complete careers based on one great song and many other talented people that not many have ever heard off, I think it's called "life".
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Excellent points, Roland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
This is an interesting thread.

Outside of those like Steve and Huub, and others that are already working with top level acts, I would hazzard at a guess that probably 10% or more of those that post here are perfectly capable of working with top level artists, just not necessarily, in the right area's or the right situations to land those clients.

Two points I would make, firstly, even those engineers that aren't that special that have good client lists tend to all have pretty good inter-personnel skills, few engineers working at the highest levels can get by without them.

Secondly, I know a few engineers who's names get bandied around these forums who are not all that, however, have made careers based on having worked with the right artists on the right projects at the right time.

Of course there are others that are extremely talented and have gradually built their reputation, moving up over the years.

It's not unlike music itself, we all know artists that have had complete careers based on one great song and many other talented people that not many have ever heard off, I think it's called "life".
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I count myself among the martyrs for letting your work do the talking. Not that I don't sometimes wish I had the gift for baffling people with bull**** and using them as stepping stones and exploiting everyone in sight, but I just honestly don't know how that works and if I tried to be that way it would be more Seinfeld than Chekhov.
You wouldn't be able to keep your face straight!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Reality plays a poor second fiddle to perception.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Russ View Post
Reality plays a poor second fiddle to perception.
That is, apart from the result it produces!
Old 3 weeks ago
This road worn tortoise has seen many hares. Many are now gone, but this tortoise keeps on going.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search