The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio Developments / Cooper Sound
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Question Audio Developments / Cooper Sound

Hey guys, I'm looking to put together a small set up for live remote recording of small rock bands.
And I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever used either of this two location mixers for this kinda thing. I know they are primarily used for location sound recording for film work, but they have some nice features in a portable frame.
So let me know if you have any insight as to there use for strickly music production.
Thanks
Paul
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Used Cooper stuff before, but as good as it is for film work (dialog), I'm not sure it would be my first choice for music work.

Just seems a bit "crunchy" for my taste when it comes to music. For set dialog, the sound works really well, but for other stuff, not so much.

--Ben
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

I use a Cooper Sound 208D quite a bit for music. I also use API, True, and hot rodded Presonus M80s. Of course, at $15,000.00 for 8 channels the Cooper is an expensive preamp.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Cooper 208 v2

Hey Boomed;
I also own about 25 assorted mic pre amps from, Daking, Neve, API,
DW Fearn, Manley, Langevin, Tubetech, etc, etc...
I probably will never use the pre amps in the Cooper, but wanted it for it's portability, summing, headphone mixes, and it's reported bulletproof build quality.
Do you have anything else you can tell me about it, especially used for music!
Headroom, sonics, noise floor, functions, etc.

Anything would be helpful before I make a decision on what to purchase.
Thanks
Paul
Old 17th July 2005
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomed
I use a Cooper Sound 208D quite a bit for music. I also use API, True, and hot rodded Presonus M80s. Of course, at $15,000.00 for 8 channels the Cooper is an expensive preamp.
Don't worry about that price tag...

Paulie can handle it! heh
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks bud!

Steve baby;
Yeah, money no problem....I'll just sell a Ferrari...
Haha.
Old 18th July 2005
Super Moderator

Well, you have enough to go around!
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Not anymore...

Steve;
Biz ain't what it used t be!
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

I have owned a Cooper 106 and now have a 208D as well as a CS104. They are definitly rock solid and power efficient; the 208 pulls 650mA at 12 volts without phantom. For film and video work it is the only mixer I would ever own. I have also owned Sonosax and Zaxcom Cameo.

I have used them with and without preamps for rock, jazz, country and classical music. Mine has the D-sub prefader channel outs to feed a multi-track. They also have a very comprehensive PL section for talking to boom ops directors and script supervisors; probably not of much use to you.

The 208 has lots of headroom and is dead quiet. I think the S/N spec. is -130.5db. It has a good headphone preamp that will drive most headphones. I use Remote Audio high noise headsets for the loud shows which have Sony 7506 drivers and Sennhieser HD-25 when isolation is not a problem. The Cooper will drive these to the level of pain.

I just pulled mine apart this weekend for cleaning and the build quality of Andy Cooper's mixers is amazing. I you have any other questions let me know. You should also call Andy. He's a great guy and really stands behind his product. It is also the only real analog location mixer made in the U.S. Even if you aren't U.S. proud it makes any service much quicker. The other U.S. mixer would be Zaxcom but I wouldn't even think about that. I had one until the damn thing kept resetting on me. I was loosing 10 seconds of audio everytime it rebooted. It sounded like a digital mixer too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search