The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , ,

newbie --- audio for film production work!
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Talking newbie --- audio for film production work!

sup?

looking for any info, website, books that may help me understand the basics of audio for film and/ or post work. Future plans are to add(upgrade) audio or video gear to do small projects such as audio or editing for commericals, short films, or music videos to much the studio more attractive to other clients besides music. If I like what I read, I'm going to seek more indepth training.

Any help or comments would be nice. Thanks.

main gear would mostly like be focused around an ICON based Protools system
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
sup?

looking for any info, website, books that may help me understand the basics of audio for film and/ or post work. Future plans are to add(upgrade) audio or video gear to do small projects such as audio or editing for commericals, short films, or music videos to much the studio more attractive to other clients besides music. If I like what I read, I'm going to seek more indepth training.

Any help or comments would be nice. Thanks.

main gear would mostly like be focused around an ICON based Protools system
I don't know of any books, but an idea would be to go hang for a day or half day if you can at your largest or best local post house.

There are a lot of similarities to music audio. However, post IMO has a lot more guidelines and rules to follow...and I would guess that it's a big help to watch other peoples work flow to gain ideas of what works best for you, and how they handle printing tracks, stems, music, sound efx, etc.

Also you need to understand the level structure and that you don't peg 0dbfs. Things are definately getting hotter, but a lot of people aren't peaking past -10dbfs. How you hit compression and limiting is a bit different. Mono is definatley a priority. You should pay attention to the big picture more than the details. So much detail gets lost coming out of tv speakers after a broadcast. I spend a lot of time mixing at very low levels in mono on auratones.

Calibration is also at -20dbs, which is dangerous if you are used to giving a lot of level into your AD.

I only have experience with tv and not film. Audio for a feature probably has a bit more freedom in regards to levels and dynamic range.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm working on an 002rack system(Win XP)and the close thing i have made for post or film is an associate's copy of Sony Vegas and Adobe Premire software this he like me used to play around with. nothing more. I havent installed it yet. At the moment, I'm debating about doing a major upgrade and going with an that D-Command 16 pkg Digi has here http://www.digidesign.com/products/c...onfigurations/

My associate works for a local news station here and had asked if i ever thought about doing post producting audio work. And said that I show look into it asap. The movie industry here in Louisiana is starting to move and I want to maybe be able to get got some of the business if possible. The State has also past legislation to give tax breaks to film companies and recording artists/Labels the do business here. I am going to upgrade to an HD system in the near future anyway and just wanted to be prepared. I just need to know what equipment does what? Maybe I can start of with the gear below as i learn and then as that end of the business starts to boom and can add more gear. What I may also do is take a few classes at one of the local colleges.

I saw this:
D-Command|POST

D-Command Main Unit
D-Command Fader Module
Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel Core
2 192 I/Os
SYNC I/O
Avid Mojo + Media Station|PT bundle
MachineControl
DigiTranslator
ReVibe
Smack! TDM
DigiDelivery Serv|LT
HDpack 3 (v6)
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
I just need to know what equipment does what? Maybe I can start of with the gear below as i learn and then as that end of the business starts to boom and can add more gear. What I may also do is take a few classes at one of the local colleges.

I saw this:
D-Command|POST

D-Command Main Unit
D-Command Fader Module
Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel Core
2 192 I/Os
SYNC I/O
Avid Mojo + Media Station|PT bundle
MachineControl
DigiTranslator
ReVibe
Smack! TDM
DigiDelivery Serv|LT
HDpack 3 (v6)
Hi there.
I'd follow doug_hti Advice and check some Post working place before buying anything.... I'd also say ...you'll hardly need anything more than your 002 setup to do TV.
Again. Plenty of good advise from doug_hti about Levels and Dynamics .............................Joaquin
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Nut

I know nuttin' about post, but I know slightly more about audio-for-picture. I've found a few sites:

http://www.marblehead.net/foley/
http://www.filmsound.org/
http://www.nefilm.com/
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...on.sound?gvc=2

I've been on a few freebie indie shoots. There's not exactly a huge film industry in Boston, but I suppose it's a good way to see what's up, get your feet wet, all that. I've found a few people through Craigslist. Someone told me that there is actually a need for audio people in Boston, and that a boom, shotgun mic and portaDAT would be enough to get started. Hmmm...

But anyway, I've found that on these Indie shoots, everyone else is as clueless as me! :-) The boom and shotgun need to be out of the picture (duh) and everyone needs to be silent (duh.) Well, maybe not so duh, as those things can be hard to do. I've put up room mics, too, just to see how they sound. (I don't think you're "supposed" to use the 4033 or Earthworks SR71 on set, but they sound fine.) I've heard plenty of horror stories about being on a "real" set, but the indie stuff is fun.

So N'Orleans is doing well, huh? Anyone hiring?? :-)

-GRW
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

heh Thanks folks and greg, ya......it seems like Da N.O. and other parts of Louisiana are beginning to be the spot for some reason. I worked a Fire Detail(i'm a Pro fire Fighter) for the Dukes of Hazzard movie for few months ago. Stunt driving scene. I know of one studio owner here that has been applying for spots as an "EXTRA" in a few movies just to maybe make a few more contacts. he has been doing well.......I think he was hired for about 5 movies including the D O H.

I 'm just looking to fill in the gaps when the studio isn't being used for music recording.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search