The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: ,

Sony ECM 50 / 55 mic on double bass?
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Talking Sony ECM 50 / 55 mic on double bass?

I recently have been coming across a couple of articles that mention using a Sony ECM 50 or ECM 55 mics on a double bass (in the f hole or under the bridge). Aren't those mics lavalier speech mics? Has anyone tried this? (results?) And I don't think I understand how to mount the mic inside the f hole without having to clip it to the sound board (which I assume will not please the bassist). Thanks.
Old 13th July 2005
Lou Judson
I have 3 ECM-55s and one ECM-50P and they are very useful omni mics. There is a slight presence peak in the 5k range but otherwise pretty nice. They'll work on bass if they are close enough to the instrument to not pickup other sounds in the room, and you need to experiment with them - move to different positions for the best sound on that bass in that room. You can use them on any stringed instrument if you are daring and willing to try novel ways of mounting them.

I have used them as poor man's PZMs by putting them on a clipboard, as piano mics using a bit of gaffer tape on the lid, taping them directly to a wall for room pickup, and even on a stand for omni pickup of orchestras (in a pinch...) and other things I have forgotten now.

I don't use them often but keep all four in my trunk for live gigs, you just never know when it'll solve a problem!

<L>
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

semi-relavent experience????

In a previous life I used an ECM55PS (has more of a presence boost) as part of my live setup for miking guitarist Leo Kottke.

I taped the Sony to an AKG 451 w. omni capsule, and then I would mix and match the mics with a Bill Lawrence Red pickup. The reason for having 2 different omnis was that I had to mic three different guitars in a different room on a different sound system every day, and between the 2 mics I could always find something useful.

The ECM 55PS was also used in the studio by Leo a little bit. I don't remember if it was used on anything that was released, but we liked it in the studio also.

And yes kids, I used omni mics only. For live sound. Plenty gain, mega fidelity. Enough gain before feedback. Thought I'd post since those mics are kind of obscure, and I've used them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search