The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Live8
Old 5th July 2005
I see The Stereophonics, who to me are famous for representing absolutely nothing saw fit to place a 1/8th page box ad for their new record in the Sun newspaper the Monday after the show.. Work that charideeee!

Sheer class lads....not tutt
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Funny thing seems that people with buying the albums are rewarding relatively bound to the artistst quality. thumbsup
So possibly cleverly placed marketing afterwards for the second row acts wouldn´t help sales this time.

BTW, while I found Elton John to be performing quite energetic and still in good condition I thought like "What is that?!" when this hammered young fellow joined the stage. Emberrassing for Elton to be admiring that guy.

Ruphus

PS: Bevvy, things are what they are. And if they are what they are they might need to be discussed once in a while. I bet it´s actually what Mr. Geldorf intended.
I would dress the same circumstances up pink today and light-blue tomorrow for you if I could. But I´m sorry for the little monotony of it. Crap just is brown.
But you could simply ignore it, hows that? Ah, I see you are already doing so. Fine.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
I agree, but I think this is what sums up Live 8 the best:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050704/..._live_sales_dc
Yeah and WTF is wrong with that?
What's wrong about say a kid watching some elderly gentlemen take the stage, being completely blown away by the music and eventually heading to the record store and leave as proud owner of his first Pink Floyd album?

Even a notorious preacher such as Bono (Uncut magazine recently established the line 'the ego known as Bono') comes across as 1000 times more trustworthy than ANY politician, at least to me.

This whole politic discussion here is nonsense, in the end, Geldof and the rest of his crew 'with dubious motives' will have made a small difference.

The political discussions will NOT make a difference, I really think we should get over the -isms fast and deal with the real issues.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
I really think we should get over the -isms fast and deal with the real issues.

Andi
Keeping with todays standard must be looking smart, but Í don´t think it really is.
If you have a closer look at what I pointed to you will see that it is never me who starts talking about any -isms, eventhough I certainly think the fashional saying that anything with an -ism in the term was to be senseless by default to be lack of autonomous thinking abilities.

No, if you had a closer look at what I´m mentioning and if you allowed it a second thought after the standard wisdoms of there-is-no-solution-and-humans-are-just-like-that-alikes you would easily see that I´m not talking about -isms, but about causes.
Related causes that have been driven out of our sight by systematical cultur of distraction and tabooing.

And as recognition of a majority is the only chance to provide any change I think pseudo liberal off-waving right when it is about the core issues to be only supporting the mess.

What the authenticy of Geldorf and Bono´s concerns goes I do trust it, while questioning / insinuating their egos is exactly what the reactonary establishment wants.

In the end the question about their eventual personal motives doesn´t matter at all. What counts is what is being said and not why who and when. These people reach a huge crowd with what they say and that´s just great. Best thing they could be doing.

Maybe it wasn´t too ideal of them to sound like if the merely debt relief would remove poverty, because it won´t and as it could be disenchant the observing audience as a later insight, and maybe it would had been even more helpful if they had named the specific causes for poverty and underdevelopment, but hey they must be doing what they can and that is outstanding and wonderful as is.

Ruphus
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree, but I think this is what sums up Live 8 the best:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050704/..._live_sales_dc
Here's a classic Gilmour from the BBC

ruudman
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
Here's a classic Gilmour from the BBC

ruudman
Certainly a class act. However, I believe most performers do a concert like that for the publicity and sales it will generate. Few will continue to give a rats ass about the reason they were there.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Certainly a class act. However, I believe most performers do a concert like that for the publicity and sales it will generate. Few will continue to give a rats ass about the reason they were there.

Yes, Pink Floyd are obviously an exception, as they have more money already than they could ever need. When they play or tour it is for the love of music, not money.

In this case I think they truly played for the cause at hand, with their love of performing being an added benefit.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:

Man, it must be great to automatically know everybodys motives from across a television transimission line. Must be super handy when choosing clients and salesmen. Do you offer consultation to others, or is this strictly a self-help kind of thing?
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Kudos to David Gilmour thumbsup

Funny how the "dinosaurs" are shaming the current generation of acts in all sorts of ways heh

Maybe the '60s wasn't a complete waste of time.

Cheers

Vari-Mu
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon
Man, it must be great to automatically know everybodys motives from across a television transimission line. Must be super handy when choosing clients and salesmen. Do you offer consultation to others, or is this strictly a self-help kind of thing?
Guess you don't know the definition of "believe" vs. your statement of "automatically know"?

Let me help you. be·lieve To expect or suppose; think: I believe they will arrive shortly.

It doesn't imply automatic knoweldge of anything. Let's try a sentence to see how this works.

I believe, Kanye West could give a rats ass about what's going on in Africa.

One more, just for fun.

I believe, P-Diddy would rather bang J-Lo than spend 5 min. in Africa. Well that's not fair because he didn't even show up for the concert even though he was scheduled.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Guess you don't know the definition of "believe" vs. your statement of "automatically know"?

Let me help you. be·lieve To expect or suppose; think: I believe they will arrive shortly.

It doesn't imply automatic knoweldge of anything. Let's try a sentence to see how this works.

I believe, Kanye West could give a rats ass about what's going on in Africa.

One more, just for fun.

I believe, P-Diddy would rather bang J-Lo than spend 5 min. in Africa. Well that's not fair because he didn't even show up for the concert even though he was scheduled.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vari-Mu
Kudos to David Gilmour thumbsup

Funny how the "dinosaurs" are shaming the current generation of acts in all sorts of ways heh

Maybe the '60s wasn't a complete waste of time.

Cheers

Vari-Mu
I thought Robbie Williams performance was up there with the dinosaurs. I never really paid to much attention to him, but his live show is fantastic to say the least. Does he write his songs ?
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon
Thanks for the clarification
No issues! It's just tough not to be a tad cynical about a majority of the artists, especially given today's music business world.

Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Yes, Pink Floyd are obviously an exception, as they have more money already than they could ever need. When they play or tour it is for the love of music, not money.

In this case I think they truly played for the cause at hand, with their love of performing being an added benefit.
Don't forget pink floyd started out looking for fame and fortune. They don't need it now, but they started as everyone does. FAME / RECOGNITION. Nobody is in this business for the true love of it. You don't embark in a "business" if you are not looking for the above. It's very simple, and I find it very funny when people jugde one artist from another saying "he want's fame" or "he plays live for the love of music", If it was ONLY for the love of music, you don't need to step out of your house or basement, you can just love music in your own home by yourself.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
If it was ONLY for the love of music, you don't need to step out of your house or basement, you can just love music in your own home by yourself.
Damn you are cynical. Turning on others to your music can be part of that 'love of music'. And jamming in that basement can get very lonely. I should know.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Damn you are cynical. Turning on others to your music can be part of that 'love of music'. And jamming in that basement can get very lonely. I should know.
My #1 objective when I write a song is to move other people. I write songs for other peoples entertainment,most of the time I fail, but the few times I don't makes it all worthwhile for me, all the up and downs, everything is solved if I can put a smile on a face of a stranger with a song I wrote. It's all about that for me. It's not love for music. It's way more complicated than that.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I thought Robbie Williams performance was up there with the dinosaurs. I never really paid to much attention to him, but his live show is fantastic to say the least. Does he write his songs ?
Here`s some funny backstage gossip;

"Battle of the backstage egos "

ROBBIE WILLIAMS
"Everyone was agreed that the singer, charm personified on stage, was the biggest grouch behind the scenes. He paced up and down outside his dressing room to make sure all eyes were on him but snarled as anyone came near him.

He turned on the charm, however, while being interviewed by the BBC's FEARNE COTTON. She blushed as he told her: 'My name's Robbie Williams. I'm single. I hear you're newly single. Why don't we get it on?'

She replied: 'Can we save this for when the cameras are off?' But he continued: 'Make Poverty History and Get Robbie Laid - they're the two messages we've got today.' "

Bob Geldof
"Despite running the event, Geldof managed to offend at least one person. Fellow organiser MIDGE URE was said to be furious that Bob had refused to allow him to perform - but then appeared himself singing the Boomtown Rats song I Don't Like Mondays.

Ure was heard muttering furiously: 'Oh God, what a tart he is,' when he saw Geldof singing on the video screens in the VIP room. "

Madonna
"Most obscure request of the day came from Madonna, who said she would drink only Kabbalah water ......."

http://www.thisislondon.com/showbiz/...ly%20Mail&ct=5
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Too bad for Williams that the songs I heard from him to be just plagiats.
-

While McCartney was playing I thought how nice it would had been if Ringo were at the drums. Anybody knows whether the two cope well these days? I guess not, huh?

And one other point, I thought it freaking good that Bill Gates wasn´t hooted.

Ruphus
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by threm
Madonna
"Most obscure request of the day came from Madonna, who said she would drink only Kabbalah water ......."

http://www.thisislondon.com/showbiz/...ly%20Mail&ct=5
I never heard of kabbalah water and i'm jewish. Anyways, these requests are not strange. They have to do with superstition more than anything else.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Madonna, the children's novel writer who lives around the corner of Hyde.
Madonna, who sounds like a 17 year old rapper: "are you fu*kin' ready, London?"

ruudman
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

if you want a kabbalah water, and you ask nicely, you might even get a six pack....or better yet a 1.5l bottle heh (with a Groucho accent please)

Andy
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
While McCartney was playing I thought how nice it would had been if Ringo were at the drums. Anybody knows whether the two cope well these days? I guess not, huh?Ruphus
No offense to Ringo who is great but Macca's drummer Abe Laboriel Jr. is a total joy to hear and watch. A monster player with a DEEP groove but never a show-off, and he's a damn fine singer too.

He's on a lot of stuff like Doyle Bramhall II's first solo record or the Raging Honkies project that Mike Landau did or maybe still does.

BTW, does anybody know if he ever did any recording with his dad, who's one of the best bass players anywhere?

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

With Koinonia perhaps?

ruudman
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

if you can find it, this is apparently pretty good..

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/stor...218840,00.html
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

re: Guidum

Thanks Waylon,

I just ordered it (used) from Amazon Germany.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 6th July 2005
jordan19
Quote:
Nobody is in this business for the true love of it. You don't embark in a "business" if you are not looking for the above. It's very simple, and I find it very funny when people jugde one artist from another saying "he want's fame" or "he plays live for the love of music", If it was ONLY for the love of music, you don't need to step out of your house or basement, you can just love music in your own home by yourself.
Jose honestly. Honestly man. What inspires you to make such ridiculous statements? Just, sheer, dumbness- for lack of a better word. heh

I would normally batter that statement for another couple paragraphs or so, but I just scrolled up momentarily and saw that you're jewish, and since there's so few of us left in this world I'll just refrain and pretend I never read that pathetic post lol.

(I've never heard of Kabbalah Water either lol)
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
Jose honestly. Honestly man. What inspires you to make such ridiculous statements? Just, sheer, dumbness- for lack of a better word. heh

I would normally batter that statement for another couple paragraphs or so, but I just scrolled up momentarily and saw that you're jewish, and since there's so few of us left in this world I'll just refrain and pretend I never read that pathetic post lol.

(I've never heard of Kabbalah Water either lol)

hahahaa you cracked me up. Maybe we need to drink some of that water to better understand ouselves.

But yeah, I always get flamed for saying things like that but it's cool. I will ask you one question... do you write songs ? if you do.. have you ever had someone comment on a song of your's and say how much it sucks ? or how you sing like crap ? Let me know how you felt when they told you that.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will ask you one question... do you write songs ? if you do.. have you ever had someone comment on a song of your's and say how much it sucks ? or how you sing like crap ? Let me know how you felt when they told you that.
Maybe this is the wrong answer - but I appreciate when people tell me this - because then I know I can give them another song and get true feedback. Back maybe 5 years, I was very proud of a song and passed it all over to see if others liked it - many did, but I got several people who said the vocals were absolutely horrific, that I couldnt stay in tune, on and on. While I totally disagreed at first, I listened close, and, yes indeed, the vocals were not very good (they were filled with emotion but musically not 100% pleasing). And thus, I figured out what I had done, and have since ensured that that does not occur in subsequent work. You might jump on me and say "Ah ha! Ensuring satisfaction to the end consumer" - but in reality - its because I am having fun honing the skill. As an end result, more people end up enjoying the music - which is a great byproduct. Do I have a ton of songs of mine that I listen to that no one else has heard - yes. Do I continue to make songs that I dont pass out because I know others would be tripped up by mistakes or whatever - yes.

If its only for the love of music - you are correct - you dont need to step out of the basement. But this is a pretty foolish notion. Some scientists are absolutely invigorated by the idea they can come up with a cure for cancer. If some scientist found the cure, should he keep it contained and under wraps since he just did it for the love of it? Just because one makes music for the love of it - doesnt mean they shouldnt do anything else with it. A person might like to draw, and they end up drawing and showing the drawing to others - why does this single act (of showing another) turn it from a passion to a business motive? If I go on vacation and take pictures, get them developed, and then show them to others - does my picture-taking all the sudden become a business motive to become a world famous photographer?

I dont make music for any other goal than the fun of it - I want something to look back on - something that chronicles time. Is there a slight slight slight possibility that others will also find the music great and it ends up supporting me for life - yes...is that the objective in creating it - no. Due to the love of it - should I never let anyone listen to it - lest it become a "business". To make music for business gain is the exact reason why so much music is void of emotion and terrible to listen to.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinx

To make music for business gain is the exact reason why so much music is void of emotion and terrible to listen to.
I don't do music for business, because I have not had a record deal offer. But if I were to have one, I would post a thousand posts on the good news channel. (mark my word) Please don't misunderstand my inicial post. I said, anyone who embarks in a business, goes into it for many other reasons than just the love of music.

My drive for making music is to comunicate. To write a lyric and hopefuly have other people moved by it. It gives me a great feeling of satisfaction when a melody of mine transmits something sonically to other people. I don't do music for fun, music is my life. Sometimes life is fun sometimes it's not. And it much depends on how I'm doing musicaly.

My love for music is very far down on my priority list of why I do music. Money being even farther down.

The last person I think about is myself when I write a song. I always think about the listener.
Old 6th July 2005
jordan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinx
Some scientists are absolutely invigorated by the idea they can come up with a cure for cancer. If some scientist found the cure, should he keep it contained and under wraps since he just did it for the love of it?
*clears throat* Good analogy. Although I can't help but step in momentarily to mention that there are infact cures for many types of cancers. Not surprisingly, they're being suppressed by scientists and the medical establishment, because it's alternative medicine, and natural therapies can't be patented for profit. (See Dr. Max Gerson literature. I know someone who completely reversed her breast cancer with it, rather than killing herself with chemo. It's sad that modern medicine persecutes solutions in favor of profits.)

Quote:
do you write songs ? if you do.. have you ever had someone comment on a song of your's and say how much it sucks ? or how you sing like crap ? Let me know how you felt when they told you that.
It USED to hurt like hell. I would've rather had someone throw degrading personal insults at me than just rolloff careless remarks about my music.

I agree with Scinx to an extent--in that you can always benefit from constructive criticism--but the bottom line is that music is nothing more or less than an expression of personal emotion. Each one of us Jose has a completely different emotional makeup. Therefore a song that might move someone to tears might make another person laugh; a song that might put someone to sleep might keep another person on the edge of their seat.

Reality is personal perception, and we all feel our way through life differently. Once you not only understand that, but accept it as well, it allows you to stop worrying about the people who put your music down, and thrive in the unity of those who live and breathe your music with you.

Fans latch onto your music because you're expressing THEIR emotions in a way they've always wanted to but never could. The musician is simply a liason- the voice that everyone else releases their emotions through.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search