The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Alternative Shockmount for Neumann TLM103? Condenser Microphones
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Question Alternative Shockmount for Neumann TLM103?

Does anyone know if there is a shockmount that will fit a Neumann TLM103. Neumann's is just too expensive. ($150!!)
Thanks!!
Old 5th April 2003
One with big hooves

This has been discussed in the past so if you do a search you'll pull it up. And, $150 is not too much IMHO. If you've never held a Nuemann shockmount in your hands you should. It'll last longer then you and your kids kids.
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

The MXL shockmount that goes with the MXL 990 model works fine with the TLM-103, and numerous other mics., and IMO isn't crappy or anything. I believe it can be purchased separetely.
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
The MXL shockmount that goes with the MXL 990 model works fine with the TLM-103, and numerous other mics., and IMO isn't crappy or anything. I believe it can be purchased separetely.
Oh, I should also mention that you can get the mic AND shockmount together for 69 bucks from musician's friend. Actually, you should get the mic, and compare it to your tlm 103. I usuallywouldn't pick up something like thatfor fear that it would be total trash, but my girlfriend was looking to get me a music related item for christmas,soI pointed her towards that, and I'm glad I did!
Old 6th April 2003
One with big hooves

Hopefully the wing nut is better then the one on my MXL V67. That thing ALWAYS slips and I've stripped it twice trying to tighten it down. If I didn't get it replaced under warrenty I'd be on my third $20 mount. I know a guy who refused to buy the Neumann shock for his U87's and got a pair of the Rode's. Over a year and a half he broke three of them and one time it sent his mic crashing to the ground. There's nothing quite like having a $1500+ mic dented. Plus, they didn't do as good a job of eliminating shocks as the Neumann mount. Don't be a cheap bastard. If you really need the shockmount get the real thing. I have a pair of 103's and only one shockmount, works for me.
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Maniac

AKG has a shockmount for the C4000/3000/2000 series that is pretty good with a chuck-type thing in the bottom. I've seen it used with 103's and even SM-57's. It is less than half the cost of Neumanns shock mount and absolutely a whole lot better than that generic chinese piece of junk that can't be trusted to hold a microphone upside-down.

/Mats
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Are any of you familiar with this Universal Mount?
http://www.sabrasom.com.br/ing/[email protected]

Thanks
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Hopefully the wing nut is better then the one on my MXL V67. That thing ALWAYS slips and I've stripped it twice trying to tighten it down. If I didn't get it replaced under warrenty I'd be on my third $20 mount. I know a guy who refused to buy the Neumann shock for his U87's and got a pair of the Rode's. Over a year and a half he broke three of them and one time it sent his mic crashing to the ground. There's nothing quite like having a $1500+ mic dented. Plus, they didn't do as good a job of eliminating shocks as the Neumann mount. Don't be a cheap bastard. If you really need the shockmount get the real thing. I have a pair of 103's and only one shockmount, works for me.
Ok, I am talking about the shockmount fo rthe 990. you are talking about a V67 shockmount and then the RODE shockmounts. Maybe you're a little confused?
Old 7th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Ok, I am talking about the shockmount fo rthe 990. you are talking about a V67 shockmount and then the RODE shockmounts. Maybe you're a little confused?
Nope. Those are all generic POS made in China shockmounts. All a bit different, yet all the same. I wouldn't trust any of them to hold a mic upside for more then an hour. When I put mics up they might stay there for 2 or 3 weeks while I'm tracking drums. If it slips and/or drops it's no good.
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Boy, I guess you are right Opinions are like assholes man, you made your point, I made mine, let it lie. I do put a little square of velcro on the mic and the shockmount.
Old 7th April 2003
One with big hooves

Ehhh...just wanted to point out that I'm not confused.

What does the square of Velcro do for you?
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

It prevents ANY slippage. Now, I am not arguing that it is worth it to buy the shockmount designed for the damn mic, I'm just offering a low cost alternative that is really not as problematic as you are trying to make it seem like.
Old 7th April 2003
Gear Nut

Listen what the man say's

I have to agree with Jay!If your smart enough to buy a 103 then your smart enough to take proper care of it .Mounting it in some cheap alternative is simply like driving without a seat belt eventually you will have a accident if not you! then some eratic arm flayling singer will indulge some punishment on your poor 103 .Think of it like your car insurance .better safe.
From a caring Canadian in Vancouiver bc.
Old 8th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
It prevents ANY slippage. Now, I am not arguing that it is worth it to buy the shockmount designed for the damn mic, I'm just offering a low cost alternative that is really not as problematic as you are trying to make it seem like.
Oh, and sticking a piece of Velcro on a $700 or $800 mic is a much better idea. Look, let's agree to disagree on this one. I have no problem with cheap equipment. What I have a problem is stuff that's as cheap as it is cheap. Cheap shockmounts with parts that strip and don't hold a position is a problem. Maybe not for a weekend warrior but in my or any serious studio at some point it's going to become a problem. Using the Neumann mount I have no concerns about hanging the mic 7 or 8 feet over a drum set (which may cost a few thousand) and leaving it there for a week and a half. The MXL and other cheap mounts don't give me the same level of confidance. I barely trust the one I have in front of a guitar amp.
Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

No, I don't really think we disagree that much. It IS better to use the shockmount specifically designed for the mic.

However, I was actually answering the question instead of going off on a semi-related rant. The question was simply, is there anything else that will fit? No need to get into some kind of pissing contest man. That's the thing that really is annoying about these kind of forums. There are a thousand ways to skin a cat, and each way has its plusses and minuses.
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Maniac

You vill like das Neuman microphone mount or else!
Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic
You vill like das Neuman microphone mount or else!
Yes. Oh master jay, where are my lashings?
Old 8th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
However, I was actually answering the question instead of going off on a semi-related rant. The question was simply, is there anything else that will fit? No need to get into some kind of pissing contest man.
I don't think it's even close to a pissing contest. We could start one if you really wanted to. Will a 103 fit into anything else? Sure as ****. I could mash it into a Shure mic clip or a Royer (which is actually an AT) shockmount and make it stay if I can use gaffers tape. Hell, why not hang it by the cable too? That's a pretty effective shockmount.
Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mats Olsson
AKG has a shockmount for the C4000/3000/2000 series that is pretty good with a chuck-type thing in the bottom. I've seen it used with 103's and even SM-57's. It is less than half the cost of Neumanns shock mount and absolutely a whole lot better than that generic chinese piece of junk that can't be trusted to hold a microphone upside-down.

/Mats
The AKG H100, it's the shockmount for the 414 as well. I use it with a TLM103 and a 414. The catalog places were selling the C2000 with the shockmount for $150, and you could dump the mic on ebay without the mount for close to the same money. It's a plastic mount, but it holds both mics securely when inverted. HTH
Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

Come to think of it, Jay, these make for great shockmounts And they even double as pop filters. I just tie them to a coathanger with a peice of twine and some mud.
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Believe it or not, I have used rubbers on mics for underwater recording... it works really well. Much better then a "shock mount".
Old 8th April 2003
One with big hooves

Now that's more like it!
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Nut

2Points

There are a thousand ways to skin a cat, and each way has its plusses and minuses.

I have to admit he has a point about debating the subject ,our opinion is our own merit and we can only hope that when we make a suggestion that some take it to heart.Jay you have a nice selection of analogue gear !Have you tried a Avalon 737 that would look great in your place.

Robb007
Canadian
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Well thanx for all the info. I didn't think that this simple question would invoke such a passionate response.
Old 9th April 2003
One with big hooves

Re: 2Points

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBB007
I have to admit he has a point about debating the subject ,our opinion is our own merit and we can only hope that when we make a suggestion that some take it to heart.Jay you have a nice selection of analogue gear !Have you tried a Avalon 737 that would look great in your place.
If we aren't passionate about what we do why should we bother doing it at all?

I've used the 737 a few times. I kinda like the compressor and EQ some things. The ability to feed the mid bands to the compressor sidechain without having to patch anything is really hip for strident vocals. Overall I'm kind of on the fence about it, I thought it was a bit mushy. The only time I've used the mic pre on it was reamping a guitar with a Bogner amp and a 421 and I couldn't get anything I was really happy with for that track. I think it was about the amp then anything else.
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Audio Technica AT 8441 shock mount.

Inexpensive (at least compared to the Neumann) and works quite well. It is held in with rubber bands basically so I wouldn't turn the mic upside down in it, but otherwise it is fine. I've had a set for years and they have served me well.

--Ben
Old 13th April 2003
One with big hooves

This might be a really dumb question, but will a TLM 103 even fit in the AT shockmount? I have a 4047 here, I should try that at some point. Either way it's kind of a mute point since the AT shock's are so freakin' expensive. When I worked at a store I had to order a 1/2 dozen for a guy and I was shocked at the dealer cost, even with quantity discounts and all that.

FWIW, it may or may not help someone but Mercenary is no longer a Nuemann dealer and is blowing out their remaining stock. They had a few EA1's (the 103 deal) on the site as of yesterday. Even if your not interested it's kinda funny.

http://www.mercenary.com/

Or try "The original voice of terrorism"

http://www.mercenary.com/neumann.html

Ya gotta love it.
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Sabra Som

oortnyc,
We've just added Sabra-Som to our line. Great sturdy construction. You can check 'em out on the website--our webmaster should get them up within the next 24-48hrs.
Old 30th December 2008
Gear Addict

Pelusso shockmount for TLM 103

Does anyone knows if the TLM 103 fits the Peluso shokmount? See example:

http://www.highprofileaudio.com/22-47-LE-Hi-Res.jpg
Old 30th December 2008
Super Moderator

I believe the TLM103's diameter is a bit larger.

I bet the Neumann website has the specs.
Check them out and compare the two if no one else chimes in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search