The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Should we stay or should we go?
Old 3rd April 2003
Super Moderator

Question Should we stay or should we go?

Man, when I first signed on as moderator of this forum back in Oct. '02, I wasn't sure it was gonna fly. I just didn't think there were enough remote folks out there to make this work. But, a fair amount of you showed up at the beginning and gave us some (seriously) positive responses and praises for this kind of forum. That got me to think, it may take a while, but this forum's gonna work out just fine...

I'm not too sure about it any more. I don't think we should waste bandwith if not enough people show interest in this gig.

What can we do to make our remote world better?
All suggestions are welcomed.

Should it say or should we throw it into the archives bin and say good-bye to the forum? It's up to all of us. Make your move.

I truly hope we can keep this going, but if it's not applicable should it stay anyway?
Old 4th April 2003
Ohhhhhh wont you staaaaaaaaay, just a liiiiiiiitle bit LOOOOOOOgerrrrrr!!

Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

Gosh I hope you stay ....I for one haven't been able to really put ANY time in to the remote side with the building going on here. and as far as the guys that are doing the high end remote stuff including brodcast, I think they are just few in number and If they're out there doing it and making a living,I assume they're really busy doing the gig.

I've got more questions than answers for the forum....I just don't want to be a pest....so I do more lurking. That should change in a month or so.

I think it's a great forum and there's nothing (that i've found ) that is anything like it.

My vote: STAY

thanks,
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Addict

My vote is stay, definitely. I don't post much, because I don't have much expertise in this area (or any area, now that I think about it), but I've learned a lot from lurking.

I imagine there are a lot of people like me, who are soaking up the knowledge without saying a lot.

So I'd be bummed if the forum when away. In the meantime, I'll try to pop my head up more often.
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Addict

Stay!

I only do v/o remotes (welcome to the smalltime) but love to read about what the big boys do. Always alot to learn here!
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Maniac

I get the feeling this is an all are welcomed type ofspace.

imo, this new space should stay, I still got a lot to learn from it...
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

Damn, its only been the last couple of months that I've become a semi-dedicated remote kinda guy. I'll personally guarantee a half-dozen stupid questions per month based on the fact that I'm still making it up as I go along when on location.

The only other resources for location recording are all focussed on the film/video sound world, and those guys all use these silly battery operated toys. We need a forum for those of us crazy enough to drag full size gear around to gigs. And on a more serious note, the film/video sound guys really do have a whole different set of objectives and needs that are often at odds with what music guys are trying to achieve.

Maybe we should all try to get the word out about this forum as most of the other audio forum sites do not have a Remote/location type of forum. Its not a case of competition or duplication at other sites; this really is THE place for remote Music recording.

thanks.

Steve
[email protected]
Old 7th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

I'd vote that you stay, too. And I'm not even a remote kinda guy. Well, I've done a grand total of 1 live records... But besides the fact that y'all are willing to share what you all know about remote recording, (after all - they named the process after you, Steve...), but you're also a storehouse of useful information concerning the other tools we all work with.

Besides, I might want to stick a couple of DTRS machines in a road case again one of these days, and then I'll NEED your help!
Old 7th April 2003
"Maybe we should all try to get the word out about this forum as most of the other audio forum sites do not have a Remote/location type of forum. Its not a case of competition or duplication at other sites; this really is THE place for remote Music recording."

Good point, I will put a few more shouts out again!

Old 7th April 2003
Gear Head

Thumbs up PLS STAY

This forum is unique. Where else can you ask about remote recording other than in gearslutz?
Although I haven't posted any question yet, I've learnt alot just by reading them and I know that if I need to ask any remote questions, I can just go to this forum.

Please stay Steve, you are brilliant. (Wait, I don't know you yet ) But your work is really brilliant.
Old 8th April 2003
One with big hooves

I do a grand total of maybe a gig a year as a remote guy, if I do three then I'm slammed busy. What if you/we expanded this forum to include more live sound stuff? I can't think of any live sound forums at the moment and there are a ton of those idjits out there. Myself included.
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Maniac

That's an awesome idea!

How do we get the word out?
Old 8th April 2003
I think there are SEVERAL hugely popular & long established live engineer forums, (one on Pro Sound Web). I would want to keep Gearslutz specifically for recording, be it location or live!

Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

I gotta agree with Jules on this one. Setting up PA systems or monitor mixes is a complete world onto itself and there are big sites online just for that kind of thing. But trying to make ahigh quality recording in the middle of all that craziness in a topic that needs its own forum.

steve
[email protected]
Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I think there are SEVERAL hugely popular & long established live engineer forums, (one on Pro Sound Web). I would want to keep Gearslutz specifically for recording, be it location or live!

Ditto.

But if you have a question, ask away!
Old 9th April 2003
Gear Addict

i've asked a couple of question here and you guys have always been very helpful. please stick around, i'm sure i'll have a few more problems that need solving over the next month or 2.
Old 9th April 2003
Gear Maniac

the next 2 months is ok...

BUT, I need it for the next 18 months minimum!!!
Old 14th April 2003
Here for the gear

another vote for stay - I read every post in this forum, it is fantastic for a guy that is trying to learn to do the location recording thing the right way... and I've never found another board that covers this stuff in this depth on the net.
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

stay!!!!!

FWIW,

I would be disappointed to see this forum go: I lurk often, tho I do quite few remotes, (and desire doing them even less!) I gain so much valuable insight here, even with what I could use at my regular studio space. i.e: the N/Z cable - what a stroke of genius - I would've never thought of that in a zillion years, and how many times it would've just made my gig to have had a few of those items in the grip...

Keeps up the discourse - I look very forward to it, and hopefully can contribute something helpful as well!

Cheers,
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

Stay!
Old 15th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Re: Should we stay or should we go?

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
...Should it say or should we throw it into the archives bin and say good-bye to the forum??...
Steve,

April's fool joke right? I check in here 2 x daily. You gotta hang in there! I'm still on my remote training wheels....
Old 16th April 2003
Super Moderator

Damn, I guess we're gonna keep it going...

No, Just kidding!! Great idea folks. Looking forward to it.

My only wish would be for more remote engineer responses to the threads and questions. There's a lot of ways to do the job. There are many good and valid approaches to a fine live or location recording. The questions are great, but I'd love to hear more answers from yourselves. Hearing different remote recording perceptions of the craft would be wonderful.
Old 16th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness

My only wish would be for more remote engineer responses to the threads and questions.
Where are all those guys? I know Kooster's been here, and I've done articles on some other remote guys who seemed to be willing to talk about what they do... Are they working or something?
Old 16th April 2003
Super Moderator

Well, I don't think Guy from Le Mobile will post. He told me some time ago that he's not really into talking about his gigs on a forum. I'm hoping he will reconsider someday.

I have mentioned the forum to Dave Hewitt from Remote Recording Services. He promised to check out the site soon, but apologied for being such a recluse! He said, "things are just a bit crazy right now..." Maybe we'll see him down the road.

Randy Ezratty from Effanel Music mentioned that he is going out of town today for a week, but will post when he gets back. I hope he talks about the 5.1 grammy event he just successfully completed a few weeks back.

I trust Kooster will post again and Doug from Live Wire just posted a thread about his events...

So, maybe we will get some more weight around here!

Hey, if not - we always have you folks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search