The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags:

DAVElectronics' Broadhurts Gardens preamp - any users?
Old 14th September 2005
Here for the gear

Any manual with the Garnens No.1?

Hi,
we just bought the Gardens no.1 .... do you guys have any manuals? ... Any tips? or something?

Thanks,
best regards!

rbjd
Old 14th September 2005
no manual necessary, just watch the HOT output.
lots of fun
heh
Old 2nd January 2006
Gear Nut

DAV electronics

Hello, someone it knows it give me information on pre mic DAV BG2; than difference with the Millennia HD3V.
Thanks
Old 2nd January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
How do the DACS and the DAV compare, in your opinion?
Never heard DAV or EAR, but DACS side by side with Millenia, Hardy and AMEK DMCL won hands down for tracking nice acoustic guitar, violin and ambience. Noiseless pre with natural, but not sterile as DMCL character, like better version of Hardy.
Old 3rd January 2006
Gear Guru

We've got 2 threads running abount the DAV BG-1

I still haven't plugged mine in yet, but the reviews I'm reading are mostly quit positive
especially for 2 channels in this price range.

US buyer need to be aware that DAV does not ship a standard power cord on US conversions because the cost to import them into the UK simply doesn't make sense.
Old 3rd January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT
I still haven't plugged mine in yet
STOP reading this, drop everything, and plug it in tutt

Old 4th January 2006
Gear Guru

All my new gear is still in the boxes till I can clean up this nightmare
and figure out how to keep my wife's stoopid cats off the new gear.

Already ruled out water pistol and taser stike stike stike
Old 4th January 2006
Thumbs up

create a diversion?
barricade the door?
dog?

Difficult one, had a cat here this summer, wonderful temper, but really sick. Kept trying to get into bed. And I mean, really really sick. poor thing. but unstoppable.
what does work is to become territorial. but that means open warfare.

good luck
Old 4th January 2006
Gear Nut

For the money, it's damn good for a classical pre.

Anyone compaired it with an FMR RNP 8380

On a side note, doesn't some of the banter on the thread remind you of high school arguements. Brings me back to the good old days.

Slut #1 "My preamp's better than your's"
Slut #2 "Yeah well mines bigger and cost a lot more, I'll get all the girls"
Slut #1 "But I'm smarter than you"
Slut #2 "No Way."

If you're trying to use it for Rock vocals, it's gonna suck. It might work for rock drums, or something else, but it doesn't have that sound. Like I said, classical, or even certain jazz sounds.
Old 4th January 2006
Just choose a different mic for different applications. (dynamic mic on snare and bass, condensers on overheads close sdc on hihat) I found it to be very versitile.
Old 4th January 2006
Lives for gear

i would love to hear comparisons of this Pre to higher end "clean" pres.

also does anyone care to comment (or have experience) on how it sounds on Rhodes Cabs, Timbale/Conga/Latin Perc in General, Rock Drum Room Mics, and front of kick ribbons in blumlein?

thanks.
Old 4th January 2006
Gear Guru

Several of you have said that it won't do for rock vocals and you have me wondering
what that might mean.

What kind of rock vocals are you referring to?

I plan to use my BG-1 and my AT 4050 for vocals through my ProjectMix I/O
Old 4th January 2006
I tracked rockvocals (male and female) using old Gefells and dynamic mics and it worked out fine. Also a AT4047sv was great on a girl on a funk dance track. Want more "grit"? Just stick a gritty mic in front of the singer. Or change the position of the singer/mic.
After tracking just send the signal through an eq like API or Siemens, for tailoring the sound more. But the DAV just "sits" right. Whatever you do with it. Airy but not hyped.
Also a beatifully voiced spanish singer (female, low voice) sounded so incredible with a beyerdynamic ribbon and the DAV. Just acapella, brrr. made my hairs in the back of my neck stand up.
Old 4th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhappyballoon
. . .

If you're trying to use it for Rock vocals, it's gonna suck. It might work for rock drums, or something else, but it doesn't have that sound. Like I said, classical, or even certain jazz sounds.

Not good for Rock vocal???--I don't see how you can say that and Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour will disagree.
Both have been loading up on DAV mic amps. Gilmour took 48 channels.

In practice, in the real world (instead of your guessing,) the BG # 1 and BG# 2 will sound like the source.
Old 4th January 2006
Gear Guru

Thanks Plush!

I think sometimes people have difficulty accepting the fact that a great piece
of gear does not have to cost 5 times what it should cost to get desired results.

I'm glad some of you can afford $3000+ for one piece of gear, GREAT!
But that's no reason to put down another product that costs less, simply
because it did cost less.
Old 4th January 2006
Gear Head

Mine was Shiped yesterday...can't wait to try it out when it arrives...
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT
Thanks Plush!
I'm glad some of you can afford $3000+ for one piece of gear, GREAT!
But that's no reason to put down another product that costs less, simply
because it did cost less.
First of all, don't go tearing me apart when I can't even afford a BG-1 right now. At no point in time did I refrence a $3000 piece of gear. Actually, the only other gear I mentioned is a $475 stereo preamp (cheaper than the DAV).

I would also like to correct myself in that it is possible to make it sound good on rock vocals if you have a mic that is perfectly suited with the preamp for this situation. I just think that it would be hard to find a good matching mic (that wasn't really expensive), which is why I would not suggest purchasing it for this. I'm sure that it is possible to get a good vocal sound from it, it is just not the ideal preamp (in my opinion).

Mr. Plush stated that it would sound exactly like the source. If you go and listen to rock vocals, most of the time they don't sound exactly like the source. They have more body, more harmonics, and a very 3D texture to them. That is not the natural vocal sound.

Another Note: This is in the High End section, and for people that are complaining about how much stuff costs, go to the low end theory section.
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
First of all, don't go tearing me apart when I can't even afford a BG-1 right now.
Heya Mr. Happy,

Are you saying that you don't have a BG1?

Just curious if you've tried it rockier vocals.

Cheers,

R.
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Maniac

M500?

cheers,
Macmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
/snip/.
Also a beatifully voiced spanish singer (female, low voice) sounded so incredible with a beyerdynamic ribbon and the DAV. Just acapella, brrr. made my hairs in the back of my neck stand up.
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey
Heya Mr. Happy,

Are you saying that you don't have a BG1?

Just curious if you've tried it rockier vocals.

Cheers,

R.
You don't have to own one to have used it. I know another engineer who owns one. I also work at a studio that has a large selection of pre's; which gives me the ability to compare it.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good pre. I've actually considered purchasing one when I have the money. This discussion is in regards to how it would sound for vocals, and compared to other pre's on the market, it is not one that I would recommend.
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

DAV Electronics Mic Amps--PROFESSIONALS ONLY NEED APPLY

Uh, well, um, uh---that means you have to actually have the money (not much) to buy one. No long term experience with the BG products means you are disqualified from rendering a trusted opinion.

WORKING professionals ONLY need apply. . .
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Guru

I'm not a working professional, however there were enough recommendations from serious high end professionals for me to consider the DAV BG-1 for my project studio.

Not only have I found the build quality exceptional, but considering the caliber of
Mick's clientel, he still took the time to personally address all of my concerns in a very professional and timely manner.

The man is selling 48 channels to Pink Floyd and still took the time to make me up
a pair of 1/4-XLR adapters so I could also use it for an instrument pre DI.

That kind of service is hard to find at any level.

I will absolutely go back to DAV for my future needs.
Old 5th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmod
M500?

cheers,
Macmod
heh Yes.
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

I have one now. Can I call myself a professional? heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush

Uh, well, um, uh---that means you have to actually have the money (not much) to buy one. No long term experience with the BG products means you are disqualified from rendering a trusted opinion.

Old 6th January 2006
Gear Guru

One thing U.S. buyers may need to keep in mind is customs duty.

Mick did tell me he wasn't sure how much it would be.

Today I received an invoice from Fed Ex for $61.00 to cover customs
charges.
Old 6th January 2006
Lives for gear

ouch.
thats like 11%.
well worth it i am sure, though.
Old 6th January 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush

At no point did I actually state how much I have used it, as far as you know I have been borrowing it for 2 years. You also do not know what equipment I currently own, I was in a financial slump, and am getting out of it.

Secondly, I stated that I work in a studio (as an engineer). Doesn't that imply that I am a professional? Your attempted insidious comments will only lead to the belittling of your credibility.

Your remarks are facetious.
Old 6th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Secondly, I stated that I work in a studio (as an engineer). Doesn't that imply that I am a professional? Your attempted insidious comments will only lead to the belittling of your credibility.
Your remarks are facetious.
No, my remarks are totally serious.

We are looking for USERS of the equipment who can render an opinion based on extensive usage.

And NO, again---working at a music recording studio does not make you a professional. We have a toilet cleaner here who works at our studio. She is not a professional engineer---but a very fastidious and expert cleaner.

The FACT is that Rock engineer super pros worldwide who are making chart topping (money in pocket) records, and who never post here or anywhere else, are loading up on DAV.

Good Day from Chicago,
Plush-Sonic
Old 6th January 2006
Gear Guru

I am not worthy

But you are so right!
Old 6th January 2006
Gear Nut

At no point am I going to state that I am one of the best engineers; everyone has room to grow. I would like to point out that the purpose behind this forum is for people to state their opinions regarding gear. I find it very rudimentary attempting to disprove evaluations, because everyone has a different perspective on gear.

This is proven by the fact that many famous rock engineers don't use DAV - and yes, some do.

I also find Mr. Plush's cheap shots at me, as a person, elementary and precocious.

State your perspective and move on, we all have different opinions of sound.

I apologize to all the gearslutz out there that have had to read our incessant banter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search