The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1st Time Recording
Old 24th June 2005
Here for the gear

Talking 1st Time Recording

Hi Folks

this is my first post here so please be gentle
I read gearslutz for more than a year now and i always found the anwsers i needed. (really great forum!!!) But now i need some advice from experienced users...

I offerd my Vocal Teacher to record her. She is singing some classic Stuff like Schubert (dont ask me what it is excatly -- im studying jazz) together with a piano player. She will need the records as demos. The reason i offerd to record her was because she wanted to do it with a Minidisc Recorder and i thaught i could do it better...

She will now rent a good sounding room with a grandpiano and a pianoplayer...

My gear: Digi002 PT6.9, PB 12" 1.5GHz 768MB RAM 80GB HD, ext 160GB USB2 HD, SM58 Mic and a SM57 Mic thats it.

I could rent some Mics at a local Company they have: Neumann KM 140 / KM 130, Neumann TLM 170 / U 89, Neumann RSM 191, Neumann USM 69.

I want to record it with one Mic in the room, maybe a stereo mic.

What should i go for? What about Micplacement? Samplerate to record at, 88.2 or 44.1? Mic suggestions? Somthing i forgot?

What a about Eq/Dynamics on Classic Stuff after recording? Is it alowed or has it to be "pure"?

Any help would be great, maybe stuff i forgot to think about!!!
You really running a great forum.

Happy Landing
Funomatic
Old 24th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by funomatic
I could rent some Mics at a local Company they have: Neumann KM 140 / KM 130, Neumann TLM 170 / U 89, Neumann RSM 191, Neumann USM 69.f
I like the idea of the USM69 for starters....

But I am not a remote / classical person...

Great post!

Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Funomatic!! Welcome to the forum and great post!! I'd wait for the more knowledgeable Gearslutz to post, but in the mean time, and IMHO, since you are going to have the002, I'd use a a couple of different mics, even If you do not use them at mix time, but: I'd definately have a stereo pair for both performers, in front, probably ORTF or the stereo formation you are most confortable with or think is more suitable...I'd try to get something like AKG 414BULS... I prefer LDC mics for that kind of job, but then again....
I'd also mic the piano with another pair. This time I'd try to do some close micing, probably some SDC at the hammers, so i'd have spots mics for mixing. Put a LCD for her, not to close so the sound can breath!? If the room is nice, I'd also use a spaced pair of OMNIS at the sides of the room, and just for the heck of it, I'd use one fairly distant room Mic, and another for the Piano down where the bass strings rule...hopefully the Room is good!? If there's a Piano already, It'll probably be set up for the best or...maybe just unique sonic response...If you can improve the sound of the performers in the Room, do so by any means. Do not bother with EQ or any processing...you should be able to achive good levels and "color" with just pre-amp gain and MIc placement. If later, you want to experiment with all the signals that you'll have...go for it!!
You'll probably end up using just the original stereo pair, but it'll be fun to have all that info. Check your phase relative to the main stero pair. Get at least a nice stereo Preamp for the main pair, and the rest whatever you can grab. I'd stay in 48KHZ 24 bit so your Laptop won't sweat it
Well...again...this is what I'd do...lets wait heh
Good luck and most of anything...Have Fun!!..........................Joaquin.

PS. If you can't get more mics...Rent at least one LCD with OMNI capabilities...so you have that option for the main sound, use the 57 inside the piano, the 58 in front of her, and also use the Mini disc recorder...wich probably has a stereo mic in it. Use the SPDIF out of the mini disc and send it to Protools too..make sure to match the sample rate. Get that LCD, a stereo pair better, for they'll be your best shot at improving over the Mini disc. Good luck.

PS.PS.....In the event that you can't get any other mics...take the screen of the 58 out, and set it with the 57 as a stereo pair...their response should be similar enough to get an even stereo response...Now, I'll shut up

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search