The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My first live recording - Have a listen
Old 19th June 2005
Gear Nut

Talking My first live recording - Have a listen

For the last 12 months or so i have been turing the idea of starting a live recording business for small to medium venues over in my head, but i dont want to do it crap. If im gonig to do it, i'm going to do it well, and that will mean i'll need 10-15 thousand (Australian) dollars to do so... not so likely at the moment (not the way i keep buying gear anyway :P)

I have a regular gig doing FOH at a small jazz/blues club in my local area. One band that has played there many time and i know really well approached me about doing a recording of the gig. They were going to film it and they wanted a proper recording done too. Nothing too pro, but more than a MD hanging off the tape out of the FOH desk.

So i got to thinking before i answered him. I really dont own that (or didn't at the time - 4 weeks ago) much gear that is going to suit the job, but i figured i can make it work somehow. At my disposal i had:

3*Shure SM57
1*Shure SM58
1*AKG D12
1*Rode S1
1*LEEM DI Box
PC running Cubase SX with a Delta 66
Mackie 1402 VLZ

The line up was:

1 Vocal
Rhodes piano
Sax
Drums
Bass

The console at the venue is a 24 channel Behringer (shudder) and my only option, seeings as i dont have any mic splitters, was to use the 4 buss outs into my Delta. I sub mixed the band down to 2 tracks, and then sub mixed the vocas down to 2 tracks. I also set up 2 room mics and recorded them to MD to be used later for mixing.

I miced everythign up exactly the same as i always do for this band. 58 on vox, S1 on sax, DI the Rhodes, D12 on kick, 57 on snare, DI out on bass amp. Simple. The room mics were my remaining two 57s, and they did well at getting the room vibe and audience sound.

I ran a compressor over the rhodes and the kick drum. In retrospect i probably should have put one on the bass instead of the rhodes, but you live and learn... hehe.

How did it turn out ? Well, have a listen for yourself...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rpurse/...t%20no%209.mp3

The problem with all this was that i had to make a balance between the FOH mix and what was going to tape... Very tricky, but i think i did well enough.

So yeah, considering all the gear i used, and the way i did it, what do you think of the results ? Be critical, but understanding

All i really know now as a result of all this is that I REALLY WANT TO DO MORE ! :D

Cheers
Old 19th June 2005
Gear Head

Sounds good to me.
Keys a little loud
But for first time thumbsup

Nice Job Keep it up
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

I agree, not bad at all for the first time and with a very limited selection of gear available; what did you use for drums OHs?

L.G.
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Nut

No drum OHs

Slight of hand witht he saxaphone mic positioning meant that i could capture enough spill to fill out the drum sound so it didn't just sound like a kick and snare mic job. The room mics also helped to flesh out the kit.
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Nice... a really good exaple of how to make do with what you have

L.G.
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Considering the toolbox and conditions, don't know if I could have done better. What I use for combined FOH and recording work is an Allen and Heath WZ16:2 which has direct outs on every channel. I have the direct outs jumpered so they are pre EQ and pre Fader. I record to a MOTU 24i.

I can mix all I want for FOH and not mess with what 's being recorded. When I've recorded using Mackie gear I pull the signal out of the inserts using a balanced cable pushed in to the first click.

When I get home I have all the options I want for compression, 'verb, mix, etc.
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin
When I've recorded using Mackie gear I pull the signal out of the inserts using a balanced cable pushed in to the first click.
That is very interesting to note...
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin
When I've recorded using Mackie gear I pull the signal out of the inserts using a balanced cable pushed in to the first click.

I've been doing that for years! It gives you a little less headroom than balanced outs, but I've always liked what I got from them.

Don
Old 30th June 2005

Nut,

I've just started doing something similar this year down in Melbourne. I reckon your budget estimate is about right. My system is based on a 001 with a Mytek as a clock... I priced a second recording unit at about AU$12K.

I started with a home studio, got the bug for recording bands and helping others out, and wondered how to apply it. Once I got my gear set up commando-style and ordered a transformer splitter box from the states, $6K later I was in business. Interest is coming slowly but surely... I have a show tonight at the Doutta Galla and another tomorrow at the Ding Dong Lounge.

I had a listen - nice work! I'd be very lucky to get as good a result as you did from a 4-buss.
Old 30th June 2005

I've got to add something else - the first show I did was the week before the splitter box arrived, and I took outs from the Soundcraft desk at the venue. Post-inserts and EQ, not sure if post-fader or not. It sounded hideous, and I'm sure that was the desk pres' doing. Shudder at Behringer if you like...
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

if the dfegad hum was suppressed a bit, and the keys pulled back a bit that would be perfectly suitable to push through some waves plugs for a pre-master.

--edit-- and dont forget about antares mic modeler --edit--

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search