Pictures of my portable G4 iso box

Pictures of my G4 iso box here:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/popna/boxpixs.html
Old 27th March 2003
Super Moderator

Excellent P_J!!

Welcome to the Remote Possibilities Forum @ Gearslutz.com

Thank you for sharing your idea.

How long have you had this in operation?
Is it working out as you first designed it or have you modified it since then?

Keep up the good work.
Old 27th March 2003
Old 27th March 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness

How long have you had this in operation?
Is it working out as you first designed it or have you modified it since then?
I haven't made any later modification and it has operated about six months now.
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

SHOW OFF!

Looks like a really cool project.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

very cool job...

at times I often thought between buying the marathon g-rack and taking up 6 spaces of my 12 space mobile rack, or just rigging up a seperate box for the G4, out of a SKB case or somethin...

are you able to just stuff all your cables back inside of the box when you are done?

What do you use for a mobile monitor solution? I have a 15" apple ADC flatscreen that fits nicely in a padded "rok sak" bag.

The only caveat to racking the G4 on it's own is that I'd like to pair it along with my Firewire bays, which would take another 2 spaces and a modified rack shelf....

does anyone know a rack manufacturer that can make "side by side" racks, as in an 8 space rack, with another 8 space rack directly next to it, this giving a big longer of a case, yet so you can wire up your whole rig as needed and even rack a monitor, only needing to take doors off and plug in your snake...
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

Have you experemented with leaving the foil off the insulation on the exhaust path? I am curious if that would cut doen on noise further, it looks as if the foil would reflect the high mid and high freq. content of the noise rather then trap it. Just curious..

Cool box though!
Old 28th March 2003
Super Moderator

Jay,

If you can design it, someone can build it!

Steve,

I believe, it would be very unhealthy, leaving Fiberglas insulation exposed. You don't want to breath in all those tiny fibers.
Old 28th March 2003
Here for the gear

Q: are you able to just stuff all your cables back inside of the box when you are done?

There's a 3 cm hole in the side of the box, where I can pull all the cables out or push them in. You can't see it directly in the pictures, but the pic 10 shows it best. There is a little piece of removable foam in front of the hole, that I can just remove when moving cables.

Q: What do you use for a mobile monitor solution?

Flatscreen would be definitely the best solution, but for the moment I'm using 13" old PC monitor in the field (17" while mixing).

All in all, it's impossible to make a totally silent iso box. When decreasing external fan power, the temperature inside the Mac will rise. On the other hand, when increasing fan power, you'll end up having more fan noise again.
So... even if my box is very quiet, I have it in another room while mixing (5m firewire, USB and VGA cable). But then we are talking about total silence!

-PJ-

ps. Fans in the box are PAPST typ 8412 NGL (12V/0,6W).
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

Steve, sorry should have been clearer, I was thinking to cover the foam with a fabric vs the foil.

I may have to try builing one of these, Thanks again PJ!

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
Jay,

If you can design it, someone can build it!

Steve,

I believe, it would be very unhealthy, leaving Fiberglas insulation exposed. You don't want to breath in all those tiny fibers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search