The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Danny Elfman sound Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st May 2003
Mindreader

Hans Zimmer sucks. Can't stand his phoney chopped up way of writing. Sounds like it came straight off the computer with overdubs. Which is what it is.

Danny Elfman uses a lot of computer sequenced stuff on certain scores (such as the Martians Attack score, which is EXTREMELEY complex million and one things going on stuff) but he has a musicality that I think Zimmer lacks. I like Danny Elfmans stuff. It's 'interesting'.

BTW, the Ligeti track in question on 2001 is Lux Aeterna. If you're into that stuff and want to have your head severely twisted go and check out 'Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima for 52 string instruments' by Polish composer Penderecki

The Ligeti piece is only 99 cents over at the itunes music store...
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

But Hans Zimmer is much more recognizeable than Elfman. Can you sing an Elfman theme ? I doubt it. And Zimmer also wrote the music to "The thin red line" which is very remarkable.
For my taste Elfman is too hectic, theres too much going on and in the film, this weakens the position of his music. It reminds me of old films from the 40ies, where lots and lots of music was played, making a general tension (or whatever) but nothing of the music stays in your brain.fuuck

Sometimes one note is enough (why didn't anybody told this Richy Wagner)

btw, I'm not a fan of Hans Zimmer, but he does a very good job. I liked him better, when he was faking keyboards in the video killed the radiostar video by the buggles in the beginning of the 80ies.

My heroes (filmmusic) are Gabriel Yared (english patient) Nino Rota (for his brilliant themes) and I absolutely love the music of Thomas Newman.
and 20 others

kosi
Old 1st May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by kosi
But Hans Zimmer is much more recognizeable than Elfman. Can you sing an Elfman theme ?
kosi
What about 'The Simpson's'?
Can you sing any Zimmer?
I agree with Bevvy so much I'm going to repeat it: Hans Zimmer sucks!
To be fair, he's probably an OK guy, but I find the Hollywood establishment type fim score disgusting.
Titanic, Gladiator uuurgh!

Elfman proved himself to be talented and versatile with the score to 'Midnight Run'......pretty much a blues/rock soundtrack and excellent to boot. Great film btw.

Bevvy, I think there's more than one piece of Ligeti in 2001.
Old 1st May 2003
Geoff Downes was the sidekick to Trevor Horn in The Buggles.
As I can only remember two people in the video I presume it was Downes and not Zimmer.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Maniac

"You know any authentic Roman music? How about Anglo Saxon? Orchestral scores are not always the answer, but they do give a good method to convey the drama of a sequence. "

Obviously not, but an educated guess would lead one to something that is modal.
Old 1st May 2003
Mindreader

but thats the one with the vocals only, which is what this threads about

the other ligeti pieces are

Overture: Atmospheres

Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo Soprano, Two mixed Choirs & Orchestra

Jupiter and Beyond

http://www.mfiles.co.uk/Reviews/2001...ce-odyssey.htm
Old 1st May 2003
Mindreader

oh, and repeat what chrisso said about agreeing with me: Hans Zimmer sucks

really. no redeeming features. bollocks.

cut and paste composing.

bleargh. its poo.

John Williams
John Barry
Mancini
Morricone

Now were talking

Oh, other over-rated composer - David Arnold. Some of his stuff is shocking, especially on his first James Bond excursion, sounds like a guy with an atari and an old proteus. Actually, 'cos that's what it was.

It's really bad for composers to slag other composers off. So I'll stop now before I sound like a nutter.
Old 1st May 2003
Agreed on David Arnold.
James Horner anyone?

Thumbs up IMHO to:
Elliot Goldenthal
For trying to do something different (Heat OST with Kronos Qrt).
Thomas Newman
For Shawshank Redemption.
Bernard Herrman
Especially for Taxi Driver.
+
Nino Rota
For everything.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

i'll ditto on horner( and zimmer)....hackophonic schlock-ola.

i did a stint at zimmer's media ventures a few years ago...he was nice enough but the rest of the people had a truly nasty vibe. couldn't wait to get outa there.

elfmans a nice and extremely talented guy. many here in l.a. dismiss him as a 'hummer" but thats not the case. just sour grapes from some of the other composers.

yared is amazing. his themes in " the talented mr ripley" are wonderful. morricone is also wonderful..." cinema paradiso" always makes me a little misty...and the spaghetti western stuff truly changed film scoring....much like herrman's "psycho" score.

thomas newman is defining the genre at the moment( if he only got residuals on temp tracks he'd have more money than eisner...and how the rest of us composers would love to not hear the "american beauty" theme again...as wonderful as it is.)

another composer who's been under the radar for many years is bruce broughton...don't know if he'll ever gain the status he deserves but he has done some nice work...his latest score( the disney eloise tv movie) was such a nice homage to the old days of disney...back from the days when we all watched the w.w.o. disney and m.o.a's wild kingdom on sunday nights.

Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, Bernhard Herrmann is defenitely THE MAN !
He opened the doors. His music is so intelligent and brilliant and nevertheless so self-contained, although its highly supportive for the films. Breathtaking.

and, here's the link of Hanz Zimmer and the Buggles:

http://www.hanszimmer-archiv.de/english2.htm
Old 1st May 2003
You could be right.
You can't believe everything you read on the internet though.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

I saw the video a few months on MTV, when they had their 20th anniversary.
Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn are fooling around in the foreground with Zimmer in the back.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

I like James Newton Howard, particularly "Unbreakable".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search