The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Genex GX9000 8trk DSD recorder DAW Software
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

Genex GX9000 8trk DSD recorder

Has anyone actually seen/heard/used on of these things yet?

http://www.genexaudio.com/hardware/gx9000.html

The info provided at AES made it sound like my ideal recorder, especially for location work. And the Genex website says that they were supposed to ship in January, but I haven't heard of anyone using one yet. The base price is only around $4k, so I'm hoping that somebody out there has picked one up. Anybody?

steve
[email protected]
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

I used one on a 5.1 mix a while back. When I was printing I went from the desk to the unit and swore something was mispatched. If you can find one to rent, I HIGHLY suggest it. I still have a very limited knowledge of DSD itself, but when I used it (a recomendation from someone very experenced in 5.1) I was VERY impressed.
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Maniac

And how about the 24 trk version. That's what I'm looking at, as a possible alternative to the Radar. I've heard dsd and I like. I thought that the Genex website seemed kinda weird somehow -- just don't have a good vibe on this team yet. The next quesio is who duplicates dsd's?

Mack
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm really surprised at the seemingly low interest in these things. Everytime I walked by the Genex booth at the fall AES show, guys were begging for release date info. They're supposed to be available now and I get find anyone who has one or even find any reports from guys who have worked with them (except E-Cue's brief comment).

I would have bet that the Genex machines were going to be the #2 choice for high end studios, behind Radar only in popularity, not quality. But while IZ Corp can't build Radars fast enough, I don't see much interest in the Genex machines. Is it due to an overwhelming lack of enthusiasm for DSD, or is there some other deficiency that I haven't caught on to yet?

steve
[email protected]
Old 29th March 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I used one on a 5.1 mix a while back. When I was printing I went from the desk to the unit and swore something was mispatched. If you can find one to rent, I HIGHLY suggest it. I still have a very limited knowledge of DSD itself, but when I used it (a recomendation from someone very experenced in 5.1) I was VERY impressed.
ecue

did you have to use external A/D converters (analog to DSD) or where they built in?

I am using the (older) Genex 8500 DSD recorder with Meitner converters right now and it sounds absolutely great, clear (no pun) difference to the PCM version of the same mix on the Tascam DA98HR. After listening to both formats during the whole mix, we finally decided to go with SACD rather than DVD-A.
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

It had convertors. At the time, I didn't know jack **** about DSD, and still pretty much don't. The dude from the rental company set it up, explained it to my assistant, and he pretty much ran the show. I wish I could shed more light on it, but all I really did was tell my assistant to hit record, and playback. It did sound very accurate, and was laughablely better than the DA88's that we printed to also.

I think Sony is the only company with a DSD daw similar to logic or pro tools, called the Sonoma. I'm curious how Genex stuff might intertwine with other DSD stuff on the market.
Old 29th March 2003
No there are more DSD DAW's Pyramix is one..

Heck all need is a DSD DAW with Autotune!

tutt
heh

Sonoma eh?

Have to ask the cats at Sony Oxford about that one....
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

Pyramix... cool... By who?

At this point, I revert to my earlier statement:
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
At the time, I didn't know jack **** about DSD, and still pretty much don't.
Could a product like the OXFORD we 'converted' to DSD? If anyone has a DSD for dummies link, PLEASE chime in. Everyone I ask about it treats me like Forest Grump.
Old 23rd July 2005
Here for the gear

DSD I/O

Lets all gang up on Digidesign and get them to create a DSD I/O. Then not only could I use it with the familiar Pro Tools DAW, but MANY more people would be interested in the format.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipdhall
Lets all gang up on Digidesign and get them to create a DSD I/O. Then not only could I use it with the familiar Pro Tools DAW, but MANY more people would be interested in the format.
would be cool but don't hold your breath on that one.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The problem with that...and a likely reason that it hasn't really caught on for multitrack work...is because the sampling rate is so high that it's just not practical for real-time processing. If Digidesign were to offer a DSD I/O for it to work on their cards it would have to be converted to multibit PCM at a lower sampling rate, which would kind of defeat the (theoretical at least) purpose of using DSD in the first place.

-Duardo
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue
Pyramix... cool... By who?
http://www.merging.com/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search