The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Nagra VI Firmware Requests Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Addict
Was there anything tricky about making the switch, or just plug and play? Seems like the form factor of the Transcend should be the same as the Nagra's factory drive, but I have heard comments here saying that it is a "tight squeeze".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
That's pretty wild. I switched the drive in my VI to the Transcend SSD in part because I had one issue one time with the VI reporting a 'disc jam'. But I also did so due to noise, as I can see where you'd have a slight issue with the spinning disc.
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Was there anything tricky about making the switch, or just plug and play? Seems like the form factor of the Transcend should be the same as the Nagra's factory drive, but I have heard comments here saying that it is a "tight squeeze".
It was very easy and quick, taking probably about 10 minutes while being very careful. And the 10 minutes included taking the cover off of the VI and then putting it back on.

The form factor is the same, so the only aspect that might have been "tight" is that it fit as it should, and maybe whoever said that was speaking of the socket connection from the drive to the port plug on the Nagra's board. That should be tight, and is really nothing to worry about. Replacing the stock drive in the VI is the same as replacing a hard drive in a computer, if you've ever done something like that.

I was a little worried about how the VI would boot up the first time. While I don't remember exactly the steps I took, after it booted I quickly went in the menu system and formatted the drive. I have not experienced any problems whatsoever.
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

I had Richmond Film swap the HDD in my Nagra VI for a 250GB SanDisk SSD - now it's silent
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I had Richmond Film swap the HDD in my Nagra VI for a 250GB SanDisk SSD - now it's silent
Now really, have you ever heard a noisy SSD (excluding a hybrid drive of course)....
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Now really, have you ever heard a noisy SSD (excluding a hybrid drive of course)....

I was comparing the SSD with the old HDD of course
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear
Thats nothing compared to tape machines!
The MK ii Perfectone recorder was built like a brick sxhite house but produced dreadful grinding noises which some recordists thought came from the Arri camera
When they took their cans off all was revealed to the red faced complainer and a Nagra was procured from the tech stores
Perf went back to making mag transports which always groaned, in a Swiss kind of way.
Roger
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just curious as to whether you've made the switch. If you've done so then how is your experience with the change?
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict
Not yet, Swing. I have to clear off the factory drive and make sure there's nothing on it that I need. Copying from the Nagra VI over USB is really, really slow.

Quote:
Just curious as to whether you've made the switch. If you've done so then how is your experience with the change?
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not yet, Swing. I have to clear off the factory drive and make sure there's nothing on it that I need. Copying from the Nagra VI over USB is really, really slow.
Yeah, that is a super slow process. The only time I had a problem with my VI was during one session when there was an issue with the hard drive. Luckily, it was about time for a break and so while the others relaxed elsewhere I spent a couple of frantic hours doing a slloooowww USB copy from the hard drive, plus a quicker copy of the SD card which I had set for autocopy, and then checking to make sure nothing was lost and also testing to make sure everything was ok for another long session. I was just about done and ready to relax myself when everyone showed up again to resume recording. And this was just with a few hours of recording.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 1st July 2017
Gear Addict

If you're swapping out the drive, remove he old one and put it in a USB 3 drive dock. That'll improve the transfer speed.
Old 1st July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHenry View Post
If you're swapping out the drive, remove he old one and put it in a USB 3 drive dock. That'll improve the transfer speed.
My VI is only USB 2 compliant, though maybe a newer VI has USB 3.0.
Old 1st July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
My VI is only USB 2 compliant, though maybe a newer VI has USB 3.0.
No, I mean if you're going to remove the drive to replace it, remove it and put it into a USB 3 drive dick to copy the data off.
Old 1st July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
No, I mean if you're going to remove the drive to replace it, remove it and put it into a USB 3 drive dick to copy the data off.
Oops. I considered that earlier too, but one time a colleague borrowed my VI and connected it via USB to his Windows machine. It was the day after this that I had my one and only scary issue with the VI, when it reported "disc jam" a few hours into a session. In the aftermath of that experience (in which I had no data loss) I hypothesized that the file structure of the drive was corrupted somehow by the manner in which my colleague had connected the VI to his machine. While a reformat would probably have been fine to prevent a reoccurrence, it was soon after this that I switched to the internal SSD as the speed and the noise are both better.

But your idea would sure speed things up and would very probably work fine.
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Addict
Great if you have one laying around. I can copy all that data off the drive through the Nagra's slow USB interface faster than Amazon Prime can land a dock at my door... And it's not a device I would be using again. I do have SATA docks that I use all the time. But not for antiquated IDE drives...

Quote:
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
...plus a quicker copy of the SD card
??? The Nagra VI uses a CF card, not an SD card!

I have set my Nagra VI to automatically back-up t the CF card while I record.
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

That's right. I stand corrected.

I keep slipping up these days, maybe the end is near.
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

One of the firmware requests I sent to JO was to have an option to copy all 'Armed' tracks. As it is, you need to tell it which tracks to copy. If you permanently select 'All' and only record on 2 or 4 channels, you end up with superfluous tracks copied over. And that adds to the time when you're waiting for it to shut down. But if you forget to add additional track when you've got 5 of 6 mics out, they miss the copy.
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Must be set by the user.

It's called engineering.
Old 5th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Must be set by the user.

It's called engineering.
Wiw, are you going to start another 'hats on in church' argument.

I know it's set by the user. But why not add a function to make the job easier.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Garbage, JackHenry, garbage.

The reason I wrote that the user needs to set the copy settings themselves is because the engineer needs to engage with his recorder. Be the master of your entire domain. It's called engineering

Nothing to do with unaware boors who wear a ball cap in a church. Pls. fill out your GS profile.
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Garbage, JackHenry, garbage.

The reason I wrote that the user needs to set the copy settings themselves is because the engineer needs to engage with his recorder. Be the master of your entire domain. It's called engineering

Nothing to do with unaware boors who wear a ball cap in a church. Pls. fill out your GS profile.
So I assume you're still running the original firmware for the Nagra as you don't need any of the functional improvements?

But then again, you did post this earlier in this thread.

"Software/firmware update is welcome as it makes the machine easier to use. "

So why is my comment about making it easier to use any different. Is it because YOU didn't think of it?
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

I think that my admonition is easy enough to understand.

I believe that the Absolute Nagrist should be familiar with ALL of the software quirks and usage.

So the engineer would be an active engineer who is confirming the settings prior to the work.

Perhaps again write to Nagra headquarters to remind them of your suggestion.
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Addict

As I said, I know it's set by the user, but why not make it easier?
Old 9th July 2017
Gear Addict

I agree wth JackHenry on this (and on some of his past efforts with Nagra VI firmware of which I am aware). It is often the case that for many reasons changes are made right before recording begins, and this is a useful setting. I find myself checking this menu every time and being glad each time I did not forget. There is enough variation in workflow and session environment, especially in remote recording, that written checklists or memory only go so far.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Yes I agree about copying only armed tracks, a logical and useful modification to the firmware.

Is there a tech note somewhere on changing out the internal drive for us DIY's?
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Has anyone had a problem with the NVI recognizing AES input from a Prism ATLAS converter??

All of my recorders lock to the outputted AES stream except the Nagra VI.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Addict

Is that via the channel 5/6 XLRs (AES A & AES B) or DB9 connector?
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

My problem is showing up when I use AES input on xlr.
Clock is set correctly to receive from external AES in.

Odd.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Yes I agree about copying only armed tracks, a logical and useful modification to the firmware.

Is there a tech note somewhere on changing out the internal drive for us DIY's?
Hi David, I have not seen any tech note on this. But I can say from experience that it is a very easy change. As simple as swapping the old drive for the ssd drive, both of which have the same format, and then starting up the VI and formatting the ssd. If you'd like to do so then just pm me and we could speak directly.
Old 11th July 2017
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Has anyone had a problem with the NVI recognizing AES input from a Prism ATLAS converter??

All of my recorders lock to the outputted AES stream except the Nagra VI.
Have you mentioned this to John Owens?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search