The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

suggestions? : first bit of kit for portable setup please
Old 14th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Question suggestions? : first bit of kit for portable setup please

soooo...

I'm finally getting me a beefed up macbook pro to travel with... not planning to unbolt my racks any time soon, but would love to have a few channels in as small a package as possible, and all the ins and outs i might need for small scale location work. I've already got me a mini-me which i'm fine with for the really easy stuff (sketching, with 2 pres/ins and a cans out - at 44.1 or 48, it's the usb), but I'll need
a) more ins b) proper outs and c) protools

I like the look of the ensemble, pretty handy all-in-one box which i could probably rig into a laptop case and be pretty self sufficient, but then I've got no protools option right?

could i use the protools mini dongle thingy for le and be using the emsemble?

also, other than the ensemble, what other all-in-one options do i have, other than the protools digi boxes (looking higher end than those)? bus powered stuff would be even better...

thanks
Old 15th September 2008
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

Metric Halo ULN-2 can be bus powered from a lap-top...you need a battery pack to 'jump-start' it though.
Old 16th September 2008

You really limit yourself with protools...

-tINY

Old 16th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I'm a logic guy...

But everyone and their cousin uses protools in my world, so I need access to both... even if it's just for fun stuff like edits and tweaks
Old 16th September 2008

Then flip through the Digidesign catalog and pick your unit.

...once you start separating the interface from the converters/pre-amps, the set-up starts getting less portable.

-tINY

Old 16th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Exactly... that's why the tiny protools dongle would be so handy if i could use something else as my conv/pre box.

The apogee ensemble and prism orpheus both look like they'll fit the bill pretty well. I'd get useable 4 pre's and 8x8 a/d/a in one box... they're not bus powered which is a - (though the ensemble can run on 4-pin xlr batt pack), but they go from a one-box 4 mic solution to a high-end converter option with external pre's/channels.

Wondering if there are any other high-end options i should look at besides the two I mentioned...

thx
Old 16th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbonello View Post
could i use the protools mini dongle thingy for le and be using the emsemble?

also, other than the ensemble, what other all-in-one options do i have, other than the protools digi boxes (looking higher end than those)? bus powered stuff would be even better...
How many inputs do you need? What are you recording?

The MBox Micro isn't going to help you - no way of assigning inputs. It's a playback device only.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Maniac

anything from one or two for sketching(that's why bus powered or battery if necessary) up to something like 8 for setting up some mics in people's rehearsal spaces etc, or for using with a rack of juicy pre's like a nicely loaded lunchbox or something and doing some serious tracking in a swimming pool or up a tree or in a church or something...

re. the micro was just checking whether it could be used as a "dongle" for le whilst using another box for the actual ins and outs

cheers
Old 16th September 2008

In that case you're on the right path. Get a micro to work in PT and use Logic for tracking. PT is limited when it comes to interfaces and most of your options come loaded with ****ty pre's when all you want is a lightpipe connector for an 8-channel A/D.
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Maniac

exunctly....

unless.... i go pro tools m-powered and some m-audio interface to do only adat and maybe phones out... but it would mean pissing around with two interfaces, but that way I'd have protools(with good 8 ch ada), and logic with the ensemble...

not ideal. i had this vision of one of those nifty laptop cases with a macbook pro, and the 2u rack space filled by an ensemble and maybe 4 channels of API 3124+, DAV BG2, GML 8304, NPNG QMP-4NW, Maselec MMA-4, 4 channel john hardy's(etc etc etc*misty eyed drool*) or 2 channels Portico or 4 channels RNP or something and my mini me slotted alongside(last option = 10 preamps with mini-me via spdif!! - more if i use the m-audio pre's!!!!!!!)

+ running just the laptop and the m-audio box via bus power i'd be able to work off a laptop battery

not too bad for 'lil old shoulder channel recording box methinks... would be a bit heavy to lug through airport security but think of the possibilities...

unless behringer do something better

thoughts/suggestions/insults/observations appreciated

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search