The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Can someone recommend a DV camera? Mixers (Analog)
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

Question Can someone recommend a DV camera?

I'm a complete newbie to digital video. I'd like to get a camera for about £700-1000, (that's about $1000-1300).

I'd like it to be light and high quality with good zooming....!

thanks for any replies!
Old 6th March 2003
There is only one

its kinda limited at that price point. no manual control or 3chip shows up until $2k+. although with enough light you can get a pretty good camera at that price point. i got a Sony a few years back at that price point im fairly happy with despite any manual controls... which is a necessity if you plan on doing anything serious with the camera, and come from a photographic background. iow, no short depth of field with cameras under $2k. i think the cheapest is the cannon gl2 although the XL1s seems to be what most use, or panasonic has a new camera out that does 24fps. but the XL1s features interchangable lenses.

i guess it depends on what you want to use it for. there are some sony's with zeiss lenses and some sort of high res single ccd that are supposed to be decent.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

At that price range

I'd be looking at a Sony ,Canon and Panasonic at this range.

Sony models in that range have nice Carl Zeiss lens

Canon makes their own glass of course.

Check out

www.camcorderinfo.com

www.sony.com

www.canondv.com

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...ategoryId=2688 a good 3 CCD camera. If Video Quality is paramount look here.

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...12&cont_id=430 Take a look at this beauty. THE cheapest 3 CCD camera you can buy. Under $1000 if the video quality holds up Panny will sell them by the bushels.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/3114 Press Release on New Sony Cams

http://news.sel.sony.com/digitalimag...=138281&page=1 pictures of new Sony Cams

What computer do you have and have you chosen an Editing app?
Old 10th March 2003
Gear Head

haeve a canon gl1 -- doing tv commecials, music videos - ya name it..
gl2? haven't tried...
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

What a great thread for me, as I am also just starting out with video. The canon GL2 looks like a pretty good bet for the money.

Interesting that hmurchison, who obviously knows a bit about the subject, gave urls for the Sony mini-dvd cameras. -And now that I look closer, even the Canon XL1s is mini-dvd. I have been told by others to stay away from mini-dvd as it is not pro quality. These new sony's have much better specs than the older ones. Are they still not broadcast quality, or not pro in other respects?

If all work is to be done in-house, what "pro" features are mandatory?
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

The Gl2 is a very nice camera

Pro features should include at the least

3 CCD's
Extensive Manual Control
Great Audio functions.
Hot Shoe
Great Glass lens(the GL2 uses Flourite)
Durability of course.

i'm still a newbie myself but I'm getting more into the idea of incorporating my newbie Video with my Newbie Audio LOL.
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

Oh man, major GAS attack: i just saw the Panasonic AG-DVX100. I'm mighty tempted by it's " 24 or 30 fps film-like shooting mode"

Has anyone used a camera with this technology? Is it worth forking over $3,375? (ouch.....)
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker
Oh man, major GAS attack: i just saw the Panasonic AG-DVX100. I'm mighty tempted by it's " 24 or 30 fps film-like shooting mode"

Has anyone used a camera with this technology? Is it worth forking over $3,375? (ouch.....)
That is THE Hot Camera right now. Damn I used to have a great link about it. It's definitely stiff competition for Canon and Sony.

Panasonic has been making waves. Looks like they want to compete!
Old 11th March 2003
There is only one

****, its a grand cheaper than the canon xl1s... but you dont get interchangable lenses. thats why its so popular. the xl1s also has a "film" mode.

its miniDV, not miniDVD. its not any less "pro"... these are the standard "pro" digital cameras on the low end [high end is 5 figures and up]... as far as i know, there is digital8, miniDV... what other storage mediums? microMV, but i dont know what that is.
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker

Some friends of ours came to visit from CA who work with special FX out there. They had just bought this camera. we plugged it into a monitor and watched some stuff they had shot in 24 frames and it looked JUST LIKE FILM. I couldn't believe it was a $3k camera. I now want one bad but I gotta get more audio gear first grudge
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankaka View Post
I can't tell any quality difference between MiniDV and Digital8.
There is no difference. "Digital8" is Sony's bastard version of MiniDV. It is exactly the same bit-stream going onto (and off of) the tape. The only difference is the physical tape cassette. Sony was already geared up for their 8mm cassette and they have always been fond of bucking the industry standards. They did, ultimately come around and EOL their D8 format in favor of MiniDV. But, of course, recording video on a long strip of rust-covered plastic is just as antique today as recording audio to tape.

Interesting how old this thread is. You could probably pick up a $300, 1-chip handy-cam from your big-box store that would run rings around those $1200 cameras they were discussing back then almost 10 years ago. :-)
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear
Shurely shum mishtake, a DV camera?
Are we picture people?
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Lots of people wanting/needing/requiring video as well as high-quality audio recording. 'Tis truly post-modern "AV" work some of us do... no longer simply "A".

It works for me...
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

i have owned a couple of canon DVC's, and was not happy with them, mostly because they did not offer a wide enough angle lens. and frankly, the video quality was not even as good as my little panasonic P&S (ZS7) which offers a 24mm equiv WA lens, AVCHD format (allowing unlimited video clip length - unlike all the cams that only shoot in mpg4, mov, etc, which are limited to about 25 min).

right now, the sony HX9V seems to be the best bang for the buck for video recording until you get to a several thousand dollar semi pro camera.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

The length of a video recording is not limited by the file format or video codec. All modern cameras produce seamless file extents where the logical media block is spanned for longer times.

The length of a video recording is limited by the capacity of the recording media, the design of the equipment (DSLRs are noted for heat buildup shooting video), and the stamina of your battery (or your bladder, for that matter). I have several cameras that can shoot 7x24 continuously for as long as you feed them SDHC cards and power.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah right, stick with DV because only low quality pays and dumbing down makes it right?
How 'bout the sound of siberian shortwave radio? Are mono 64bit MP3's too good?
You can get a free pass to the NAB show and preach that you only need DV instead of HD. See you there in Vegas next month with other gearslutz in the audio aisles.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
why DV? when the rez is so much better with HD and above
including digital cinema cameras like RED's
This HD Camera Guide might help you. It's a good time to get involved with high def video and music.
Ummm... maybe because the OP was written in ... 2003...?

On that note... if the final output is destined for HD display, either home, home theater or cinema/large screen HD, it makes great sense. If it's a small chamber group hoping for a decent YouTube product... well, my venerable DSR-PD150 (acquired in 2003) with its Century anamorphic lens can make beautiful 16:9 YouTube video for 99.9% of people who will view it. Will 1440x1080 footage from my HVR-Z1 HDV camcorder or a $10K RED Scarlet, for that matter, look "better"? To the .5% of folks either surfing on a 1080P monitor or wishing to project to 32'x18' through a $100K HD projector... yes. But until I have a steady client demand for 1920x1080 progressive video ("2K")... I'll stay where I am.

One man's (who makes a portion of his living from producing video for money) opinion.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search