The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

paying venues to record there? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Old 26th March 2003
Super Moderator

Drew,

Are the cigars part of the "Origination Fee"?
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

No good unless they are Cuban!!!

Old 27th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Sorry guys,

I put the cart before the horsey...

I'm formally announcing the birth of Jonathan Andrew, fully loaded...delivered 3/34/03.

...hence the cigarz

Old 27th March 2003
Super Moderator

Excellent!!!

Congrats. All the best to you and yours!
Old 1st June 2004
Gear Nut

Unhappy Um, ah...guys?

Will one or several of you please explain this to me...after all, I'm just a dumb ol' girl...

Why do acts choose to do live recordings at venues that charge them to record there? I mean it's a matter of choice, right? It seems to me that it's not the venue management that's ******** (except in the instance that Roland related about Ronnie Scotts; those guys sound like they hit the crackpipe one or two thousand times too many)...It seems to me that the acts and their management are the ones who need the special ed classes. Why don't they just book these shows at different, non-money-grabbing venues? And while we're at it, the original post by cleantone stated that the room was not a dive. Wouldn't/shouldn't the club's name on the final product be compensation enough?

Help me understand. I jes' don' git it!
Old 1st June 2004
Motown legend

Venues that charge to record were usually built with public funds and are often much cheaper for promoters than comparable venues that are privately financed. Likewise unions will give a break on the everyday staff requirements if they can get an exclusive on supplying the labor for everything else. It's all about one person getting an extra break at the expense of others such as recordists who got sold out in the agreements. These fees rightfully should be the responsibility of the artist or promoter and should never be considered part of a recording budget.
Old 1st June 2004
Super Moderator

Bob,

Amen to that concept.
Old 3rd June 2004
Gear Nut

Angry how tacky!

i'll second that amen, brothers...now tell me this:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ohlsson:
These fees rightfully should be the responsibility of the artist or promoter and should never be considered part of a recording budget.
i take it that this allocation of project funding is s.o.p.? how does it impact you? do your clients give you raps like, "see what you can do about trimming these $x.xx off your estimate because we have to give it to the venue so you can record us"?

lord have mercy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search