The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

How do Alesis HD24 folk monitor their recorder?? Mixers (Analog)
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

dfegad

I'm a roll-your-own type guy on the computers. I have a blazing fast Pentium Quad that only cost me $500 in parts over Black Friday.

Macs do not interest me.
Old 2nd January 2009
*hears the sound of a Mac weeping somewhere*
Old 23rd May 2009
Gear Addict

Just came across this and it looks pretty damn awesome!

Speck Electronics - Xtramix Line Mixer

$4520 direct price apparently...
Old 23rd May 2009
Gear Maniac

No great answer to the original question, as we use a 01V96v2 on the end of our 3 focusrites (with RME MADI boxes in between). What I wanted to say was: if I were to do it again at that budget level, I'd probably purchase the Mackie 800 mic pres instead. We don't have a great need for the built-in limiting of the focusrites. I don't have any complaints about the sound quality for the money, but the focusrites run VERY hot and the front panel layout, with 2 rows of 4 columns of channels, is not intuitive. 1 row of 8 is so much more logical, when you're reaching to adjust levels.
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

I know this was an "old" thread but...I'm in the same situation right now..
I just bought an HD24XR and get it modified by Jim Williams.. (can't wait to have it!!)
I didn't want to have to lug around the pc/mac,external hard disc and interface for recording live gigs anymore..So I decided to go with the alesis..

I'm planning to buy some ATI 8mx2 preamps (in order to have great (portable) pre's, limiting for safety reasons, monitoring every single channel)..I've heard that the new ones have a better fan...(less noisy than the previous model, as well as the phantom switch on the front..can somebody confirm that?)

I'll put my rig before the FOH, so nothing could go wrong, sending the signals through the analog outputs of the alesis to the FOH. This is a 8U rack to carry around with everything already patched..very quick to set up! heh

mics > preamps > HD24XR > FOH

I'll be happy!

Just curious...I read in a previous post (first page maybe?) that with a FF800 you will be able to monitor through the adat...even as a standalone without pc...is that true?
does it work even with the digiface (standalone without pc/mac)?

Thanks!

Cheu
Old 23rd May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'll put my rig before the FOH, so nothing could go wrong, sending the signals through the analog outputs of the alesis to the FOH. This is a 8U rack to carry around with everything already patched..very quick to set up!
What if you lose all power to the Alesis... that might cause the FOH guys some trouble (as far as I know, it doesn't pass audio when its unpowered? please shoot me down if that is incorrect though)...

Also, do you have any backup solutions planned? What if the hard disk falls out of it at a gig or there's a glitch somewhere?

Money pit no?
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

I believe that it will still pass audio through the analog outs but definitely not the ADATs. The house guys will not want your post-preamp feed - better add a splitter.
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth.h.rees View Post
What if you lose all power to the Alesis... that might cause the FOH guys some trouble (as far as I know, it doesn't pass audio when its unpowered? please shoot me down if that is incorrect though)...

Also, do you have any backup solutions planned? What if the hard disk falls out of it at a gig or there's a glitch somewhere?

Money pit no?

Jim Williams redo the power supply, so I don't expect any fails shortly...and I will put a power conditioner before in order to have clean power to all my devices and be less prone to fails and spikes..

I see what you're saying..You're right, but I didn't think at a backup yet..
I'm following basically the same band so it's not that important to have a backup for my needs right now..and if you put good hard discs will be more safe...
I know that's not 100% sure and a backup is always a good solution, but at this time I do not need it...hopefully..
How do you back up? another hd24?...pc+interface?

Probably a splitter will help in case of failure of the hd24......
Btw do I need another alesis?...what if the backup fails as the first unit does?? ahahahahahh... just kidding..heh

my question about the rme's remains...anybody knows?

bests,

Cheu
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
I believe that it will still pass audio through the analog outs but definitely not the ADATs. The house guys will not want your post-preamp feed - better add a splitter.
why not? for safety/failure reasons?

Cheu
Old 23rd May 2009
Gear Addict

95% of the time it will be fine. Its the 5% where you'll make lots of people unhappy when it does fail!

Thats fine, if the recordings are not that important then you can get away with just one recorder.

However, if your unit fails during a gig then what are you going to do when the whole PA system stops getting signal!! Thats a lot of unhappy customersheh

Most people back up to either a 2nd HD24, or a PC/Laptop and interface yeah.

Quote:
Btw do I need another alesis?...what if the backup fails as the first unit does?? ahahahahahh... just kidding..
You have a backup for the backup. Not kidding

Don't know about the RME sorry!

Good luck!
Gareth
Old 23rd May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
why not? for safety/failure reasons?

Cheu
Exactly. If your units go down they're left with nothing! Then the show has no sound. tutt
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolstudio View Post
For our mobile setups we use Roland M240-R

But they are harder to get then I ever thought

wolfgang
I have an M240 but not the rack version, this is about 22" wide. Sits on top of a rack nicely. If tyhere is interest I might sell it.

L
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Because your adjustments will affect them. Would you want that situation if the tables were turned? If yes then why not just use FOH console's direct outs?
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
I have an M240 but not the rack version, this is about 22" wide. Sits on top of a rack nicely. If tyhere is interest I might sell it.

L
Is the one you have like this:

Roland M240 Mixer 24 ch, 3 ext effect, aux, NEW

And what price were you looking for?
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because your adjustments will affect them. Would you want that situation if the tables were turned? If yes then why not just use FOH console's direct outs?

the preamps could be not that good (like the ones in the ls9 or even cheaper mixer that you find on the road...so will be the converters)
...and once that the levels for the recording are done I'm not going to touch them anymore...(and hopefully they will not going to clip if I worked well).
btw in most cases I'm the FOH guy...so it's not a problem..I understand that a splitter will be a better solution though..will think about a solution for the backup

does somebody know if the rme could be used as standlaone?

Thanks again guys!
Bests,
Cheu
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

I know that you guys are right and this is the way it's going to be done (about the backup)..
But do you ever saw a "backup" for the new digital consoles?..I mean what if the console go down...you're still without any signal through the PA...

Do you think that the chances of a digital consoles going down are less than (for exemple) an HD24?

I don't want to be sarcastic, just a question, a thought..

Bests,

Cheu
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

most digital consoles have backup power supplies. Some of the higher end ones have reduntant CPU's running the software.
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
most digital consoles have backup power supplies. Some of the higher end ones have reduntant CPU's running the software.
that's true for the big systems, but in the clubs you'll find 01v's, LS9 or M7CL (if you're lucky), or some analog boards with internal power supply...and without a backup power supply..
..unfortunately that's the reality around here...for the gigs in 90% of the clubs/small jazz venues.

If I have to take the direct outs from a Midas Verona, a Siena, XL4..or whatever in that league (preamps wise) I'm not going to worry about the preamps...

Ok...I just shut up...don't want to bother with those theories...

Bests,
Cheu
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

i, like a few others here, use a profire lightbridge and a laptop and record to both the alesis and computer at the same time. if all is racked, it is as simple as plugging a fw cable into your laptop when you get to the gig. no console to drag around.
Old 24th May 2009
Gear Maniac

I'll be running two external 8 channel preamps into an LS9, the 16 preamps on the LS9, all out to a presonus lightpipe and monitoring off the presonus using the ibuilt DSP mixer to create a no latency monitor mix.

I'll be recording into a laptop running PTMP, Cubase or Reaper, backup recording into a Macbook running Logic and a third backup into a HD24 all via ADAT.

Adding 32 channels of mic splitters each in 8 channel's rack mounted. Split off to FOH or monitors, I take the other split to my rig. Direct outs of the second 16 channels external to the LS9 will have lineouts as backup if the LS9 fails, going to the HD24.

Prettymuch I have a few single point of failures but it should be covered for all recorder fails, just not splitter failure, multicore failure, some power failure (Have Power COnditioner, maybe UPS in the future), Console failure, half backed up. All depends on the channel counts.

I'm terribly looking forward to my one man band rack rig.
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

any advice for a good mic splitter?

Thanks again,

Cheu
Old 25th May 2009
Super Moderator

Click on the popular tag "splitter" for a boat load of threads about splitters!!!

Quote:

Thanks again,

Cheu
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

You mean good as in money is no object or good for the amount you have to spend on one? In the meantime click on the "splitter" tag on the home page of this forum. You will be reading good stuff for days.
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Click on the popular tag "splitter" for a boat load of threads about splitters!!!

thanks a lot!

Bests,
Cheu
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks again,

Cheu
If you want a transformer isolated splitter then the Crimson mentioned earlier seems like a very good one. Also Whirlwind seems OK.
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Just giving this thread a bump to see if there are any other monitoring options for an HD24 that haven't been discussed yet. Any new gear since 2008 (when this thread started) that would do the job? Is this thing available as yet?

TASCAM LM-8ST
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

Looks good.. but only 8 stereo channels
maybe tascam should do something with 24 mono channels in 2RU... very simple.. with mute buttons (and maybe solo) on every channel, and a phones out like in the lm8.
with db25 inputs they should be able to save space and we could monitoring easily from the same unit..
Nothing fancy..

Tascam..are you listening?
(you have everything, just put it togheter!)

I'll go for the presonus lightpipe route, in order to have a back up and easy monitoring.

I wonder why (these days) with a lot of hd24 (and xr) sold, nobody is taking care of this segment..(I know that there are few hd24 in the studio as well), but a lot of us are using these recorders for live recordings...

take care,

Cheu
Old 19th February 2010
urumita

If it's only for confidence monitoring on your backup, I like the line out to headphone amp in, doesn't need to be stereo does it? You can use a cheap 1/4" TRS patch bay and switch channels with a patch cord so you don't have to go behind the rack. You could even connect the cans to the patch bay.
If it's your primary, then some kind of line mixer or DAW solution is needed for flexibility.
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wonder why (these days) with a lot of hd24 (and xr) sold, nobody is taking care of this segment..(I know that there are few hd24 in the studio as well), but a lot of us are using these recorders for live recordings...
Unfortunately, your idea of "a lot" is not consistent with Alesis' or Tascam's definition. Otherwise we'd still have development on the HD24 and the product that you describe would actually exist.
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

You're probably (unfortunately) right but if they could build something like a 24 CH summing box with these features will appeal more users.. Probably few anyway..

So if these companies will not build smthg because of a (probable) low income,
we should ask people like JLM to make a kit or some stuff like that.. Prodigy pro maybe?
I see your point and I agree with that,don't get me wrong, but building something likethat is not rocket science.. And it shouldn't be damn expensive (at least if you produce more than 50 or more of those)..

But more important than my fantasies, if a product like that will exist and cost around a grand or so, would you buy it?

let me know,

bests,

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search